Cursing and Opeth...

intimidatingcrustaceans

Official Threadkiller
Feb 6, 2006
I've noticed that Mikael never curses in his lyrics (at least from the lyrics that I can think of off the top of my head...I don't have them ALL memorized yet).

Do you think that cursing would detract from the lyrical content in any way or would a well-placed growl of "fuck" be cool from time to time or do you guys even care?

Hum, I don't think it would be a bad thing if Mikael cursed in any of his lyrics. Especially since I can rarely understand what he's saying or growling to begin with anyways :D

Nah, his lyrics are poetic rather than "boom boom boom dum de dum "fuck my girlfriend shes a bitch" boom de dum dum boom". Opeth's lyrics rock and their really is no need to swear in them, but hey, if Mike did, that would be okay. Again, I think it would be hard to INCORPORATE a curse into an opeth song, just because the lyrics are poetic

THE SUN SETS FOREVER..... OVER...... BLACKWATER FUCKING PARK!

see what I mean?

I'm glad that he doesn't. It really accents his musical maturity to be able to express himself (in a secondary language no less!) more clearly and without "meaningless" words. I would care less if they used the occasional fuck or shit but honestly, Opeth sounds better without it.

Well...it's a big contrast to the way he normally talks. But I'm glad he doesn't in his lyrics.

Lightning05 said:
Hum, I don't think it would be a bad thing if Mikael cursed in any of his lyrics. Especially since I can rarely understand what he's saying or growling to begin with anyways :D

hmm, that's odd. I can understand him in nearly every song. He is quite the articulate death metal growler...

I think he is way beyond all cursing and stuff.
He likes to transmit you feelings and his lyrics are -by nature- poetical. That's by far more productive than any silly swearing.

So as two or three guys said: I'm glad he doesn't.

MasterOLightning said:
Most extreme metal bands don't swear often, if at all.
lawlz.
I am also glad he doesn't curse in Opeth's lyrics.
First, I don't think it would fit the music at all. Second, I don't think it would even fit in the lyrics. Go back to delieverance or The Moor or April Ethereal and add in a fuck somewhere. It just doesn't read right.
The Bloodbath song is Breeding Death.
"You fucking fools"

Luz said:
I think he is way beyond all cursing and stuff.
He likes to transmit you feelings and his lyrics are -by nature- poetical. That's by far more productive than any silly swearing.

So as two or three guys said: I'm glad he doesn't.
yeah, music wise its good he doesnt swear, but when he talks he tends to swear a lot.(in live performances and such)
aka: talking about mendez; "Exactly, what a fucking retard". and in a harvest recording "Get your shit together man, Im fucking michael!"

N-MAYH said:
yeah, music wise its good he doesnt swear, but when he talks he tends to swear a lot.(in live performances and such)
aka: talking about mendez; "Exactly, what a fucking retard". and in a harvest recording "Get your shit together man, Im fucking michael!"

"Get your shit together man! You know who I am? I'm fucking Mikael!"

:cool:

LadyValerie said:
"Get your shit together man! You know who I am? I'm fucking Mikael!"

:cool:
right, sry, missed out onthose 5 words. thx fo da correction

EDIT: ^I dont even know if i was being sarcastic or not:cry: