Sound effects and atmosphere

TravestyOfMan

What year is this?!?
Sep 22, 2001
Australia
What do people think about the use of sounds effects and atmospheric sounds in music? Stuff like the rain at the start of MAYH, now that's some cool shit. Do you think that Opeth should make greater use of things like that, like within songs and layered beneath their music, or do you think that it would detract from their work?

Listen to Devin Townsends stuff... Ocean Machine, Infinity and the new one, Terria, in particular, he's always got interesting little sounds floating around.

It's kinda like anything else, I think it's a great addition to a record's sonic landscape if used well, and if not, then...

Stuff like the rain at the start of MAYH, now that's some cool shit.

Yeah, this effect is awesome, what an atmosphere!
I am glad that the guys obviously don't rely on samples to create an atmosphere, another great thing about Opeth. That part in the middle of "Under the Weeping Moon" atmospheres me to the max and that is imaginative use of the guitars (am I right?).

So basically I think, like Hoser, that appropriate use of samples is great, but I am so much more appreciative of the imagination shown by Opeth in their atmospheric composition.

Take a look at Cradle of Filth. In some songs, it works fantastically, in others, it's contrived and cheesy.
I think that if the sound effects are unique, and mixed well, and aren't overdone, then they're appropriate. I find them more appropriate in the little "non-songs," such as Prologue. Set up the atmosphere, and then have at 'em with the hard stuff.

Just watch out for crows and wolves, those are the worst.

Oh, and a theory for you.. swooshing noises at the beginning of "Ebony Dressed for Sunset" is the same sound as the crow sounds in "Queen of Winter, Throned," but slowed down and fiddled-with.. just some cheesy Cradle of Filth trivia. :D

As I already wrote in another thread, I would actually love to see Opeth mix their trademark composition style with more influences from experimental noise and jazz/fusion ! I think this combination would be lethal !

D Mullholand
---------------------
NP: Ian Anderson - Divinities : Twelve Dances with God

My favorite has to be the sound of the water flowing in Black Rose Immortal.

Good thing they didn't put that in The Night and the Silent Water...

Listen to the whales in Quiteworld (Katatonia) It make's the so much more depressing . Stuff like that adds to the song , after a while of listening to the song and getting used to it , the song would be .......less exciting without it ,,,,,, I think that Opeth should do one song with alot of tripy shit in it , and make it confusing and freaky to listen to on headphones , hahha yeah

If you like atmospheric music, you'd like Mortiis, Sepiroth, DVKE, Robert Rich, Bill Laswell, Distros, Kervonian, Archon Satani, and Steven Roach. These are all considered Dark Ambient.

Originally posted by TravestyOfMan
What do people think about the use of sounds effects and atmospheric sounds in music? Stuff like the rain at the start of MAYH, now that's some cool shit. Do you think that Opeth should make greater use of things like that, like within songs and layered beneath their music, or do you think that it would detract from their work?

I think the rain effect on MAYH is pretty cool but it´s horrible if bands overdo shit like that.
In Under the weeping moon they create some kind of a thunder storm with the guitars and drums it´s awesome, it startes around 3 min. If you think I´m talking nonsense listen to it with that in mind!

Yeah, the natural sounds of the earth are great add ons to the music. And I agree, they loose their greatness when they're overdone. The water effects are great. I like the waves washing up on shore in BRI and Prologues rain.

Just watch out for crows and wolves, those are the worst.
Oh, I agree completely. The wolves have been done too many times...I think they're spoiled in my mind now.