What if: Opeth got a shredder

narcisco

Apr 8, 2003
Australia
Visit site
Now we all do not want to interupt the harmonious balance that is Opeth.
But hey what if the guy from COB joined Opeth would that be a good thing. Well, maybe and then again not. Or Alan Holdsworth for that matter. But seriously if there was a gun guitarist would lead breaks detract or add to Opeth's vision.

Lethe78 said:
One of the beauties that I find in Opeth is that they don't feel the need to have a shredder in the band. Perhaps Peter of Mikael are capible of it, but they don't do it. There is nothing that I can think of that would improve their music.

Exactly! The music will be stylistically different, and it won't Opeth anymore. If I wanted to listen to insanely fast solos, I could easily find some speed/prog metal or something.

Kate Bush Rules! said:
It would be most inappropriate.

I agree. Though if there was shred capability in the Opeth camp, I'm sure Mikael and Peter would put it to some good use, and make it not stupid sounding or out of place. It probly wouldn't just sound like Children of Bodom solos randomly placed into 10 minute Opeth songs. But shred on its own, isn't necisarrily Opeth style, but I wouldn't never limit them and say they would never do this.

If Opeth got a shredder... they could more easily dispose of any shady documents. Or fight Ninja Turtles. Nyar har.

My ride home from work has been delayed for 30 minutes so far... I'm freaking bored.

didn't mike a. mention wanting to work with jeff loomis on a side project after the opeth/nevermore tour a year or two ago? i seem to recall that statement made in an interview. how would it sound? seems pretty easy to imagine; opeth songs with flashier leads. would it make opeth better? if so, then likely only incrementally. unless of course the leads were layered into the song structures reminiscent of alex skolnick's work on the ritual. that would of course bring opeth's music to the next level. i guess all we need is a time machine for that to happen.

They get a little shreddy at times on Deliverance. Just for moments on certain songs. I like when they do, but it'd be kind of shitty if it was always like that.

As much as I love Children of Bodom, and Alexi's work, of course it would not suit Opeth, and neither would another guitarist of the same vein. To me Opeth would not suit that type of lead guitar style.