What if Opeth had 3 guitar players

Alteredmindeath

Wasteland Survivor
Mar 5, 2003
Underneath your bed
Yes, imagine if Opeth had 3 guitar players, imagine if Peter came back and rejoined the band. Or what if some hidden unknown talent joined Opeth, it would make for a thicker live sound, and more details could be portrayed within the music. If you think its a terrible idea explain why, watching Iron Maiden has made me think about this.

It would be fine with me, just have one guy playing the third recorded guitar. Opeth do it all the time in recording - there'll be two electric guitars and one acoustic. It's not something I'd ever PUSH for in a live environment (4 members seemed fine before the addition of Per (which was definitely one of the best things to happen to Opeth since Mike joined as a bassist)), but if Mike decided to do it - well - Mike's never been wrong about the band before.

Non-stop guitar harmonizing would suck imo, and Mikael said that he wouldn't do that anymore since Orchid and Morningrise are full of that if I remember correctly.

If I am right, there are some songs that need 3 guitars. I think in Bleak there are 3 ones. Well maybe I am wrong. But anyway it is utopic idea.

It might be nice to have one guitarist permanently assigned to a nice, warm acoustic for the live situation. Switching off the distortion and playing the acoustic parts clean just isn't the same. Or better yet, hire another guitarist so Mike will be freed up to only play classical guitar during gigs. He would sit down with a nice Ramirez, get out his little footstool and say "we are Opeth.... we are no longer five... when we're live...."

sorry that was a stupid response.

I agree it would be great, i mean there is always more than one guitar on the recordings, so it would make sense.

Maybe a percussionist aswell?

I, personally, think it would be killer! It's kind of hard to make 3 guitarists work, but with Opeth it would be perfect. As long as Mike keeps writing awesome riffs and great music in general, then I would have no objection to it.

Terrible idea, unless it's strictly for live gigs.

Two guitars accompanying each other w/ bass is how I like my Opeths

For example,

Let's look at When. Some brilliant passages with the dual guitars complimenting each other. Now imagine another guitar added to theseARGH no!

Three guitarists in Maiden doesn't exactly work well. Janick Gers is a terrible guitarist, and he tends to flop around a lot on stage playing the same warbled, blurred garbage.

I think quite alot of opeth stuff has at least 3 guitar parts especially during the still life/blackwater park era so i definatly think it could work. But then again id imagine 3 guitars being quite hard to do live.

Three guitarists in Maiden doesn't exactly work well. Janick Gers is a terrible guitarist, and he tends to flop around a lot on stage playing the same warbled, blurred garbage.

+1
Not to mention Nicko could write circles around him.