What if Opeth had 3 guitar players

I, personally, think it would be killer! It's kind of hard to make 3 guitarists work, but with Opeth it would be perfect. As long as Mike keeps writing awesome riffs and great music in general, then I would have no objection to it.
+1
this is exactly what i thought :D

...it would make for a thicker live sound, and more details could be portrayed within the music...

They already have two guitars and a keyboard. Taking into consideration (melodically) vocals, and (sonically) bass, don't they already have a full enough sound? Sure, the few 4 second spots where a line is harmonized during a solo could be reproduced, but overall I think adding another instrument would end up covering up more details in the music than it would be portraying it; they'd be fighting for space.

more room for acoustic, rythm, and solo fills would sound nice. If they can work it rite then duo guitar solos would be the shiat.

They already have two guitars and a keyboard. Taking into consideration (melodically) vocals, and (sonically) bass, don't they already have a full enough sound? Sure, the few 4 second spots where a line is harmonized during a solo could be reproduced, but overall I think adding another instrument would end up covering up more details in the music than it would be portraying it; they'd be fighting for space.

NO I think they can have a thicker more brutal sound live, 3 guitar players would add to the personalities of the solos, more details could be portrayed if another person was utilized correctly. Just because there is another guitar player doesn't mean it's going to be drowning out everything else, that is what volume control and soundboards are designed for.

The third guitar player would only work if it was just acoustic guitar adds here and there. Nothing more, cause there's simply no need AT ALL for 3rd electric guitar.

Apparently Per is a pretty mean shredder. So, if you wanted another guitar player, there is already one in the band.

it wouldnt be such a horrible mess. one time my mom bitched at me for not having my brother in my band so then we had a giant colombian reuion and we ended up with 3 bass players....wowz...

i think opeth are just fine the way they are. i like this lineup, and i think 5 people is enough in a band anyway.