Cursing and Opeth...

If it's used for emphasis and flows well. A lot of opeth fans seem to like tool...MJK uses cursing pretty effectively (albeit in a really different lyrical style). Check this out, too:

"The sunrise flares its crimson flag - frees its supple breasts
Rosy fingers shake - bullfighters catch their breath
Half-time lovers sever - now awaiting their next fuck
Morphine chills within the veins - we pray to this day's luck"

AlphaTemplar said:
If it's used for emphasis and flows well. A lot of opeth fans seem to like tool...MJK uses cursing pretty effectively (albeit in a really different lyrical style). Check this out, too:

"The sunrise flares its crimson flag - frees its supple breasts
Rosy fingers shake - bullfighters catch their breath
Half-time lovers sever - now awaiting their next fuck
Morphine chills within the veins - we pray to this day's luck"

MJK uses the curses in TOOL and APC moderatly...unlike a certain hobo by the name of Fred Durst.

I think the poet looked for something to rhyme with luck...
something like this:
Half-time lovers sever - now awaiting their next shag
Morphine chills within the veins - I think this poet is a fag:D

I keed I Keed!!!:loco:

maybe mike will drop by and tell us why he never did have it in the lyrics, and how conscious it is of him to leave it out?

When bands use cursing in their lyrics, it usually lowers my opinion of them. I'm glad that Opeth retains more of an intellectual atmosphere than most metal bands. For example, when I remember seeing the Nevermore vocalist spitting and cursing profusely at a gig in October, it turns me away from their music. On the other hand, Mikael was able to stay fairly composed and throughout most of the set, until the end of course, but that's just natural. :Spin:

I like the fact that Mikael doesn't curse in the Opeth songs. But for some bands cursing works. Especially if you don't take the song/band too damn seriously. Morgana Lefay's "State of Intoxication" comes to mind. ;)

I have absolutely no problem with bands who curse in their songs. But I think it probably wouldn't fit Opeth.

Mike writes lyrics in a sort of 'poetic' style. Now, personally, I don't really care for it, but he is good at what he does, and I feel like that style would totally fail to come across correctly if he used cursing.

On the other hand, some lyricists write in a more 'humanist' style. I prefer this way, as I feel that I can relate it better to situations that I experience in me daily life.

Take, for example, Jonas Renske (of Katatonia, for those who are unaware). He writes in the humanist style, and therefore cursing is sometimes appropriate. If you think about it, when we go through everyday strife (relationships, debt, illness, disappointment etc), we may curse if we find ourselves to be excessively frustrated, And I think that 'realism' is often essential to those lyricists, such as Mr Renske, who wish to convey something more personal. Therefore, cursing can be entirely appropriate.

But for Mike, the situation is different. As his lyrics are written with the intent to sounds 'poetic' (I mean this not as slanderous to the way Mike writes), the use of cursing isn't essential, as the language is arranged in such a way that is becomes less like speech. It isn't conversational, like Renske's, and therefore cursing isn't required.

I'm actually pretty interested in what Mike has to say about this. So...um...yeah. Post, Mike. If you don't I'll throw jelly beans at you.

lol
On first listen to 'The Ghose Of Fucking Perdition', I swore Mike screamed:

tididi di didi (drum sound)
'GHOST OF PERDITIOOOOOOON'
'A SAINT'S PREMONITION...... FUCk YEAHHHHH!'
etc.

KFK

Oh! I had the same with Baying of the Hounds:

'His mouth is a vortex, FUCING you it's pandemonium' :D

Each time I listen to it now, I still can't shake it...

paradoxile said:

The word is "mung", you tool.

Anyway, I like that Opeth doesn't curse. Mikael seems above that, honestly. He just doesn't have to, and it puts Opeth in my eyes in a class above bands like SYL or Fear Factory.

Now there are bands that use profanity as poetry, such as System of a Down, particularly on the song "Sugar". That song would not be half as good if Serj didn't say "Fuck you it all goes away".

Yeah, I always get annoyed at American spellings of English words, even though it's not the fault of the people using them that someone down the line decided to change it :lol:

It's right, but it seems so wrong :erk:

back on topic... tenacious d is a beautiful example of a band that uses cursing well. man, on karate, he croons mother fucker like its a lullabye. i bet mike could make cursing sound beautiful, too.