Custom Shop Crybaby Wah & Ground Control!?

CraigJohnsJr

MASSiVE- Guitarist
Feb 18, 2014
NY
www.facebook.com
What's up guys! I'm about to get a GCX and Ground Control, and I was interested in getting the Custom Shop Crybaby Wah so I don't have any real pedals on the floor (AKA less wires running back and forth). I know I can hook up my Whammy to the Ground Control in one of the 1/4in inputs via MIDI, but can I hook up the Crybaby that way? So I would just have an expression pedal plugged into the other 1/4in input which would control the rack wah unit which would be plugged into the GCX. This is just an idea. Wanted to know if it could work! Thanks in advance!

I'm not positive, but the DCR-1FC pedal seems to need a battery to work, so I'm guessing no.

What you said makes no sense. Yes you can put the rack mount of the wah into a gcx loop. You will then use the provided Dunlop expression pedal with stereo cable to connect to the rack unit. I believe you can have up to 6 of them.

I read the original post as him wanting to not use the included pedal, but I might be wrong.

The GCP controls everything using MIDI, which the rack Crybaby doesn't handle, so... nope. :(

Oh okay. I thought I might be able to connect the GCX to the rack wah (where the midi controller is supposed to plug in), and then plug the midi controller into the Ground Control.

Craig, forgive me if I seem like a jerk. I'm really just trying to HELP YOU. But, you have to help yourself. You need to put in the effort in reading manuals, Googling the shit out of all these little problems, and plugging shit in every possible way to see what sounds good and what doesn't. Your going to be in way over your head if you don't put in the effort.

The pdf manuals for any of this gear is available from the manufacturer as a free download.

As they said above, the rack wah you want to buy doesn't have MIDI. It is controlled by an expression pedal with a TRS cord that plugs into the back of it. It uses control voltage (not audio or MIDI) to sense the pedal position by sending a small voltage from the rack unit, through the pot in the expression pedal and back to the unit.

There are some boxes that will convert the MIDI to CV for a couple hundred bucks. Not sure how well it works, but a search will bring up some info. I would just run a 25' TRS and call it a day.

http://www.kentonuk.com/

There are also some MIDI wahs available.

http://www.glab.com.pl/wowee-wah_en

http://www.prostage.eu/remote-wahwah.html

Your question about gates can only be solved by experimenting with your gear. Does it currently work the way you want it? Decimator pedal in front of the amp and the DBX in the loop. If not, replacing the dbx with the ISP pedal with dual ins and outs or the the deluxe rack model should fix your problem, unless you have ground loop issues somewhere. If so, some ground lifting or isolation transformers are in order.

In your original thread you mentioned that you use a 6534+ head. These are channel switching heads, right? Why would you not want to use that? All dirt all the time? Alright. That's cool. Just be aware that some years of that amp used a 5-pin DIN jack for the switcher pedal. This is not a MIDI jack even though it looks exactly like one. A custom 5-pin to 1/4” y-cable would solve that fiasco.

Your the one who wants to build a switching rack. Show us how it's done. :kickass:

I appreciate the help 7string, I was only asking questions to specific things I couldn't figure out through the manuals that I thought someone might have had experience with. I'll be sure to post the rig when it's done! Thanks.

As a past owner of both items, no you cant.

The Wah does not work off midi, so you couldnt use a midi foot controller to work it. It can go in a loop of the GCX so its not in the signal chain while not in use (a waste if you ask me, it doesnt affect the tone bypassed) but you must use the included wah controller, which works off a stereo cable.

It does still however mean there is not a large amount of cables, just a midi cable for your ground control and a stereo cable for your wah.