D&D

I've played it on and off for the last two/three years. It can basically be summed up as this: 3.5e > 4.

Although D&D is only fun with a good GM and party; honestly I feel the world itself lacks any real depth that absorbs you - the game is solely about camaraderie (which is great, but... I need a world that I actually enjoy).

Plus, the d20 system... definitely has it's flaws. For one, I don't like how for D&D you need fifty fucking dice. It's irritating to say the least.

But this brings me to my next thought...
Since there is a pretty large amount of experience with the roleplay genre, then maybe you guys might like WARHAMMER:
warhammer-grimdark-roleplay.jpg

It's a d10 system; which in this game means you only need ONE die - that die being the godly d10.

Some background info:
Warhammer has developed a very recognizable stylistic image set which has influenced other works, like Warcraft. Skulls feature prominently, as well as gothic architecture, absurdly large weapons and shoulder-armor, and bizarre imagery reminiscent of director Terry Gilliam's work, as well as a strong dose of black comedy. From its inspiration from Michael Moorcock's novels, the Warhammer World is centred around the classic Man vs. Himself literary theme. The Chaos Gods are the flaws of humankind personified; the inner literal daemons of living things come back through a magic medium to torment and kill. The ultimate victory of these forces is often hinted at, highlighting a strong assumption that sentient beings are fundamentally flawed and will eventually bring about their own destruction via the forces of Chaos. This is especially tragic in light of the outside, non-Chaotic forces that threaten civilized beings; rampaging Orcs, political strife, and general warfare.

Chaos was introduced into the Warhammer World by the "Old Ones"; star-travelling gods responsible for the creation of most of the setting's sentient races. These Old Ones were brought low by the daemonic forces inadvertently unleashed by the collapse of their Warp Gates (one at either pole), leaving their creations to fend for themselves. This backstory also provides an easy explanation for the variety of familiar fantasy races, and provides a logical framework for them to fit in. Ogres and Halflings, for example, are closely related. Both are resistant to the mutating effects of Chaos energies (fuelled by hearty appetites and efficient metabolisms), but have opposite physical templates.

The Warhammer world borrows considerably from historical events and other fantasy fiction settings. The Old World is recognisably Europe approximating to the Renaissance period - the Empire being set over what is modern Germany. Many events are lifted and modified directly from real-world history, including the Black Plague and the Moorish invasion of Spain, and others from original fantasy sources. Like Middle-earth, Warhammer's Elves are declining in population, and a Great Necromancer is reborn after defeats in his Southern stronghold.

Of the races that inhabit the world, Rick Priestley identified their origins as being based on British themes, the dwarfs like blunt-spoken Yorkshire men, Elves having a touch of Southern England and received pronunciation about them, the Orcs speaking with a working class London accent.

Here is the first fluff story from the 2nd edition book: Link
I suggest using utorrent to get the book counting the 2nd edition is discontinued.

That is the fantasy battle version, this is the roleplay game - you control an individual character in this game, not a warband.

When I played D&D I only spent a grand total of 12 bucks on the whole thing. I got the core rule book set using gift cards... never bought any miniatures... my DM had those little cardboard cutout circles which we used and he had a square graph thingy which we used to move them along... so really it can be done pretty cheaply.

Why do people complain about the different versions? For me the fun was always in the banter rather than the game itself, so whether or not the wizards were properly balanced against goblins wasn't really a big deal.

I agree with this. Roleplaying is #1 concern for me, so rules tweaks don't often have a dramatic effect on my enjoyment.

And Pessimism, I love that Warhammer Roleplaying book. I ran a game for it last year. It is so damn brutal. There is a real fear of player death and dismemberment at all times. Good stuff.

While we're talking about non D&D RPG's, does anyone play Vampire: The Masquerade? I've got the player and GM handbooks (gifted by a friend), but have never even attempted to make a character, let alone play.

I've played it in the past. Like I said earlier, I actually prefer the World of Darkness games to D&D, more my style/mindset. The rulebooks are fun as hell to read I think.

When I played D&D I only spent a grand total of 12 bucks on the whole thing. I got the core rule book set using gift cards... never bought any miniatures... my DM had those little cardboard cutout circles which we used and he had a square graph thingy which we used to move them along... so really it can be done pretty cheaply.

One of the guys in our group downloaded the essential book in the form of PDF files and we shared them on a flash drive. Then for the actual game we just used graph paper on a big piece of old cardboard for the maps and push pins for characters and enemies. The DM bought a pound of dice off the internet, but he paid for that himself.

Of course we did, eventually, buy physical copies of the Arcane, Divine and Martial supplemental books to share. Other than that, we spent next to nothing.

I agree with this. Roleplaying is #1 concern for me....

Agreed 100%. It took some of the guys in my group to get over the tendency to "power play" and focus on the character. Like they couldn't get why I'd play a fighter when "OMG rouges do so much more damage!".

Is anyone else a huge fan of Dwarves in RPGs? They have just the right vibe to 'em. They're generally good-leaning neutral. Pragmatic, industrious, isolationist, friendly but also surly, a good friend to have but don't cross one or they'll fuck you up something fierce. Oh, and they love their booze.

EDIT: And they have epic beards.