Da Vinci Code

Jun 21, 2005
B'klyn, NY
Did any of you give it a try, and - if yes, what's your opinion about it? I've got some mixed feelings... I think it might be a great journalistic work - the subject matter is very interesting + the author dug out a million of fascinating facts. But at the same time, the plot of the novel is very weak and predictable, the characters are shallow and schematic, the dialogues are unnatural, colorless. So, what's the big fuss 'bout it?

Alot of super-christians are bent out of shape at the possibility of Christ having a wife or family outside of Joseph & Mary. That's the fuss, from what I can tell... (haven't gotten the chance to read it yet, but I've seen some specials on the book on NGC & Discovery Channel)

I have it and I tried to read it but I couldn't get passed the fact that some of the words were french or italian (I can't remember which now). I know everyone I talked to who read the book said that I wouldn't be missing out not knowing the exact meaning of the words but I still couldn't do it. It made everything too choppy for me. I would like to read it though because I heard it was really good so don't tell me the ending. I might give it a try again some day.

I read Angels and Demons and thought it was good, but when I started reading The DaVinci Code, I thought I was reading the same book again. It was too much like Angels and Demons for me so I stopped reading after about 100 pages. I am now currently working through The Stand which I am enjoying much more.

ledthrax said:
I read Angels and Demons and thought it was good, but when I started reading The DaVinci Code, I thought I was reading the same book again. It was too much like Angels and Demons for me so I stopped reading after about 100 pages. I am now currently working through The Stand which I am enjoying much more.
Hey, one can't touch King, though The Stand is not the best of his work by any margin.
Regarding The Code it does become boring - especially during dialogues.
Thomas Harris that's who really got into me. Ya know - The Lambs, Hannibal, Red Dragon...

Sgt-D said:
Alot of super-christians are bent out of shape at the possibility of Christ having a wife or family outside of Joseph & Mary. That's the fuss, from what I can tell... (haven't gotten the chance to read it yet, but I've seen some specials on the book on NGC & Discovery Channel)
You are probably right. The sensationalism of this concept is the real moneymaker. I just don't understand why. Christ by the legend was a human, wasn't He? He ate, drank, slept same as any other person. Why couldn't he love a woman? I'm sorry if this sounds offensive to somebody, but a couple of my friends who are Poles and devoted Catholics didn't actually see any crime in it. I myself don't belong to any religion, but was always interested in History Of Religions - not only Christianity, Islam, and Judaism, but others too. Well, lemme tell you that as far as I know Buddism is much easier on a poor human being than three above... :err:

Discovery, History Channel or TLC (that's helpful, right?) has shows about Jesus and religious artifacts and the ones that I have seen were pretty interesting. One had to do with Jesus' brother, another had to do with whether or not they found the spear that was used to pierce Jesus while he was on the cross and another that I saw had to do with a group of Monks (or at least I think they were Monks) who spent their entire lives guarding what they claim to be the Arc of the Covenant in this little room. I think there might have been one about the plagues too. They were all really interesting shows, whether you are religious or not. If you get a chance, you should see them.

THEBALDGUYFROMBLACKLODGEVIDEO said:
You are probably right. The sensationalism of this concept is the real moneymaker. I just don't understand why. Christ by the legend was a human, wasn't He? He ate, drank, slept same as any other person. Why couldn't he love a woman? I'm sorry if this sounds offensive to somebody, but a couple of my friends who are Poles and devoted Catholics didn't actually see any crime in it. I myself don't belong to any religion, but was always interested in History Of Religions - not only Christianity, Islam, and Judaism, but others too. Well, lemme tell you that as far as I know Buddism is much easier on a poor human being than three above... :err:
Is Christ protrayed as black in the book?

In High School I treated some religion classes like history and it made it easier for me to get into it.

Christianity is a mixed up bag - Catholics and Protestants, the Protestant Revolution (two angles) and now non-denominational :Spin:

DarbysDad said:
Is Christ protrayed as black in the book?

In High School I treated some religion classes like history and it made it easier for me to get into it.

Christianity is a mixed up bag - Catholics and Protestants, the Protestant Revolution (two angles) and now non-denominational :Spin:
The only definite info fr. The Book about Christ is that he was a Hebrew (or a Jew, if anyone likes this word better). One of the New Testaments starts with genealogical line which says that Jesus' ancestor was David, King of Israel.
You're absolutely right about the mixed up bag, there also Orthodoxal Christians (Russians, Greeks, Serbs, Bolgarians, Ukranians - majority, Koprs), Greeko-Catholics, Apostolic Christians (Armenians)... And how about Jews For Jesus :D ?!!...

Good book, albeit a little predictable. The figured out who the bad guy was in the early going and it took a lot away from the ending. That being said, I think that all the research and theories put forth were interesting, although I doubt there is much truth in it. Worth reading. I have the version with all the pictures of the locations and it added a lot to it.

Dragons_Kin said:
Are you reading the uncut version? I did and maybe that's why I really didn't like the tv movie that much.

Yeah I'm reading the big uncut version. I'm about a third of the way through it and I think it's pretty good. I do have to admit that it gets a bit long in some spots, but still a good read. I haven't seen the tv movie yet, but probably will in the future.

ledthrax

the stand is an awesome book. im never gonna read it again but its awesome.
keep posted on your progress i want to know what you think of the ending.

King rules. Read the Dark Tower series. 7 books of gold.
I enjoyed Da Vinci Code. It's like a big dumb summer movie. I liked Angels & Demons more. Currently reading Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke. It's great. It makes you believe that magic in England is/was real.

"It's like a big dumb summer movie."
Exactly. Kinda what the "Independence Day" was. At the same time there are some really good examples of excellent modern writing out there come and go w/out ever being recognized. For example - Patric O'Brian's series, or Stephen Hunter's...

"King rules."
Also "Dead Zone", "Shining", "Needful Things", "Pet Sematary", and his little stories wich have been unfairly overshadowed by his monumental works.
For those who like good scary/mystical shit I would advise "Catacombs" by John Farris.

THEBALDGUYFROMBLACKLODGEVIDEO said:
Did any of you give it a try, and - if yes, what's your opinion about it? I've got some mixed feelings... I think it might be a great journalistic work - the subject matter is very interesting + the author dug out a million of fascinating facts. But at the same time, the plot of the novel is very weak and predictable, the characters are shallow and schematic, the dialogues are unnatural, colorless. So, what's the big fuss 'bout it?

The research is total crap, the conspiracy he tries to create is utter bollocks. The fuss is because a lot of people would love to think it's all true.