Dakryn's Batshit Theory of the Week

No, because it's perfectly clear that "voluntary transactions" are not what happen under pure capitalism. Corporations throughout history have fucked people over for the sake of profit. That's the reason we have things like the FDA - because in the past people fucking suffered and died due to companies not giving a shit about the diseased meat or the toxically adulterated drugs they were selling, and deceptively marketing.

It's the same fucking way with health insurance. Insurance companies will look for every possible excuse to deny people's claims, because they don't give a shit about people's health - they're just out there to make money. When huge corporations provide so many products and services that our lives and health are essentially in their hands, it's fucking ridiculous to think that regulating them is an infringement on "voluntary transactions". Seriously, how the hell could you guys even think that?

It's the same fucking way with health insurance. Insurance companies will look for every possible excuse to deny people's claims, because they don't give a shit about people's health - they're just out there to make money.

itt Grant doesn't understand the insurance industry. I agree it's worse in the health insurance industry, but there are so many factors that go into their decision making that you can't really say they are doing it 'just for profit'

Mortality Rates
Lapse Rates
Interest Rates
Expenses

those are Life Insurance industry factors anyway. I know very little about health insurance, but the way you're talking about it is pretty ignorant.

I'm sorry I'm not as well-read on the insurance business as you, but you still haven't explained anything yet. For example, how does mortality rate affect a company's decision to honor a claim? That would just determine the risk of the company having to make a payout. Once someone is already dead, it comes down to whether the circumstances of the death sufficiently fall under the terms of the insurance deal to qualify for a payout. It seems like you just threw that term out there for the hell of it.

Well, again, mortality rates strictly adhere to the life insurance business. I guess I was hasty to point out that you were ignorant about the health insurance business when I am almost as ignorant hah

No, because it's perfectly clear that "voluntary transactions" are not what happen under pure capitalism.

Actually, it's perfectly clear that your complaints are patently ridiculous. Let's start with the statement quoted above. What exactly is the claim that you're making? Are you claiming that no voluntary transactions occur under pure capitalism? That can't be what you're saying, since it's demonstrably false and I know you're smarter than that. But then what is the alternative claim you might be making? Obviously it has to be that at least some transactions that occur under pure capitalism are not voluntary. But that claim is uncontroversial. No supporter of property rights/free markets would deny this. When people (such as myself) rail against the government parasitizing voluntary transactions they are not denying that fraud and coercion would occur under pure capitalism nor are they claiming that fraud and coercion should go unpunished. Since voluntary transactions do occur under pure capitalism, my basic point remains unscathed.

Corporations throughout history have fucked people over for the sake of profit.

What does this have to do with my point? I am against acquiring money through fraud and coercion. This applies equally to corporations.

That's the reason we have things like the FDA - because in the past people fucking suffered and died due to companies not giving a shit about the diseased meat or the toxically adulterated drugs they were selling, and deceptively marketing.

What on Earth is your point?

Actually, it's perfectly clear that your complaints are patently ridiculous. Let's start with the statement quoted above. What exactly is the claim that you're making? Are you claiming that no voluntary transactions occur under pure capitalism? That can't be what you're saying, since it's demonstrably false and I know you're smarter than that. But then what is the alternative claim you might be making? Obviously it has to be that at least some transactions that occur under pure capitalism are not voluntary. But that claim is uncontroversial. No supporter of property rights/free markets would deny this. When people (such as myself) rail against the government parasitizing voluntary transactions they are not denying that fraud and coercion would occur under pure capitalism nor are they claiming that fraud and coercion should go unpunished. Since voluntary transactions do occur under pure capitalism, my basic point remains unscathed.

What does this have to do with my point? I am against acquiring money through fraud and coercion. This applies equally to corporations.

What on Earth is your point?

Sorry for ranting. You inferred the correct meaning of the first sentence of my post, and I shouldn't have assumed that you were against economic regulations in addition to economic redistribution. I kinda just jumped to that conclusion based on your talk about "voluntary transactions".

I'll do a better job of arguing when I have time to think and respond carefully on your points, I swear. :)

That's the reason we have things like the FDA - because in the past people fucking suffered and died due to companies not giving a shit about the diseased meat or the toxically adulterated drugs they were selling, and deceptively marketing.

Yeah they have done a great job keeping America healthy.