Dakryn's Batshit Theory of the Week

BAPTIST FVCKS

Full story here.

Bad Math Education: Math does not need God

Category: bad math
Posted on: August 8, 2007 7:31 PM, by Mark C. Chu-Carroll

Once upon a time, I wrote about a jackass who was criticizing his college math instructor, because the instructor couldn't explain what made the calculus class christian, or why it was different from what would be taught in a math class at a secular college.

That kind of thinking is quite strong in certain segments of the conservative christian community, and that disgusts me. Let me show you an example, and then I'll explain why is annoys me so much. A reader send me a link to the math curriculum for a Baptist high school, and it seriously bugs me.

Here's their explanation of a high school geometry class:

MATHEMATICS

GEOMETRY
Students will examine the nature of God as they progress in their understanding of mathematics. Students will understand the absolute consistency of mathematical principles and know that God was the inventor of that consistency. They will see God's nature revealed in the order and precision they review foundational concepts while being able to demonstrate geometric thinking and spatial reasoning. The study of the basics of geometry through making and testing conjectures regarding mathematical and real-world patterns will allow the students to understand the absolute consistency of God as seen in the geometric principles he created. Students will demonstrate an awareness of the structure of a mathematical system, connecting definitions, postulates, logical reasoning, and theorems while exploring attributes of geometric figures. Students will make and verify conjectures about angles, lines, polygons, circles, and three-dimensional figures through coordinate and transformational approaches. Through the knowledge of conditional statements and their converses, constructing and justifying statements about geometric figures and their properties, students will begin understanding the concepts of constructing geometrical proofs. Students will be able to solve problems with the use of formulas for the areas and volumes of polygons and circles while applying them to real-world situations; in addition, they will develop and improve their spatial visualization and reasoning skills with three-dimensional figures. As they investigate properties of parallel lines, students will write deductive arguments to justify their conclusions and apply those properties to real situations. Students will apply their knowledge of triangles to develop properties of parallelograms, trapezoids, and kites as they continue developing their mathematical reasoning abilities and their algebraic skills by learning to write coordinate proofs. Right-triangle trigonometry will be introduced in the area of sine and cosine ratios and vectors. Finally, students will study circles from an algebraic point of view by writing equations of circles in the coordinate plane.

ALGEBRA II
Students will examine the nature of God as they progress in their understanding of mathematics. Students will understand the absolute consistency of mathematical principles and know that God was the inventor of that consistency. Mathematical study will result in a greater appreciation of God and His works in creation. Students will extend their mathematical knowledge beyond Algebra 1 by continuing to develop an understanding and usage of advanced algebraic concepts including functions, polynomials, rational expressions, complex numbers, systems of equations and inequalities, and matrices. Students will develop calculator skills.

PRE-CALCULUS
Students will examine the nature of God as they progress in their understanding of mathematics. Students will understand the absolute consistency of mathematical principles and know that God was the inventor of that consistency. Mathematical study will result in a greater appreciation of God and His works in creation. Students who have successfully completed Geometry and Algebra 2 will develop skills in advanced algebra, analytic geometry, and trigonometry. The students will focus on the mathematics concepts that connect the thoughts of the mind with the realities of the universe, experiencing the creative power and order of God.

CALCULUS
Students will examine the nature of God as they progress in their understanding of mathematics. Students will understand the absolute consistency of mathematical principles and know that God was the inventor of that consistency. Mathematical study will result in a greater appreciation of God and His works in creation. The students will understand the basic ideas of both differential and integral calculus and its importance and historical applications. The students will recognize that God created our minds to be able to see that the universe can be calculated by mental methods.

linky

.....do I really need to voice my opinion on this?
ShakeHead-Nonononono.gif

I like how most of the course outlines say absolutely nothing about the actual math involved in the course.

fundamentalist christians are ruining the world.

Actually, they had been ruining the world for the past two millennia, but their influence is quickly diminishing as science makes them look more and more idiotic all the time.

I'd say the Muslims' days are numbered too -- once they run out of oil to export, the whole world's going to get fed up with their rabid, violent dogmatism and stomp a mudhole in their asses.

Do you have to have obvious spelling mistakes right in the middle of your jokes? I was too busy wincing at that one to bother chuckling.

Man Arrested for having "big muscles" :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.thelocal.se/8168/

A well-built man was forced to take a drugs test in Stockholm recently after a police officer assumed that muscles like his could only have been developed with the help of illegal substances.

The female assistant police officer got into a conversation with Tomislav Boduljak and his friend late at night in central Stockholm.

According to Boduljak, 27, the police officer was pleasant at first, but changed her attitude when he said he worked out. Saying his muscles were 'abnormal', she said he must have used drugs.

"I asked if she didn't think it possible that I work out a lot and eat well. She said that if someone looks like me, she assumes they have taken drugs," he told Metro.

Despite Boduljak's assurances that he didn't use steroids, she forced him to go to the police station and give a urine test. In her report, the officer said he had "unusually large muscles, particularly large arm muscles, which are a sign of steroid use."

The test was negative, and Boduljak made an official complaint against the police officer. Prosecutors looked into the case, but decided not to pursue it.

Janne Magnusson, an officer at Stockholm Police's drugs unit, told Metro that he thought that the officer had been "a bit too ambitious".

TT/The Local (news@thelocal.se/08 656 6518)