Dakryn's Batshit Theory of the Week

Last week's top local story(in Israel, for the unaware) has been the long-time swindling of drivers at gas stations countrywide. The meters at the refueling stations charge you for air(i.e. the meter starts running before the fuel starts pouring into the tank). Authorities are investigating.
These kinds of scams occur here on a daily basis, further cementing the stereotype of the money-grubbing Jew. Oh, well...

America wouldn't have been in a recession if they had legalized marijuana 10 years ago

jlp_facepalm.jpg

He was throwing a tantrum via the interweb.

So it's a tantrum if I use "naughty" words? I was expressing my belief that government should not necessarily be limited by some arbitrary means of determining a minimal invasiveness in public life, namely when the good is outweighed by what you perceived as automatically bad.

A necessary evil imo, considering the alternative. But there are probably other things that can be done to help doctors, such as reducing the number of frivolous malpractice lawsuits brought against them. I hear that costs doctors a hell of a lot in insurance money to cover their asses against those.

That is true.

You're totally right. That's why there are so few doctors in Europe :err:

In France, where doctors get paid far less than they do in the US, they have one of the best health care systems in the world.

"To make all this affordable, France reimburses its doctors at a far lower rate than U.S. physicians would accept. However, French doctors don't have to pay back their crushing student loans because medical school is paid for by the state, and malpractice insurance premiums are a tiny fraction of the $55,000 a year and up that many U.S. doctors pay. That $55,000 equals the average yearly net income for French doctors, a third of what their American counterparts earn. Then again, the French government pays two-thirds of the social security tax for most French physicians—a tax that's typically 40% of income."

And...

"Many French doctors, in fact, earn more by increasing their patient load, or by prescribing more diagnostic tests and procedures—a technique, also popular in the U.S., that inflates health-care costs. So far France has been able to hold down the burden on patients through a combination of price controls and increased government spending, but the latter effort has led to higher taxes for both employers and workers. In 1990, 7% of health-care expenditures were financed out of general revenue taxes, and the rest came from mandatory payroll taxes. By 2003, the general revenue figure had grown to 40%, and it's still not enough. The French national insurance system has been running constant deficits since 1985 and has ballooned to $13.5 billion."

Last week's top local story(in Israel, for the unaware) has been the long-time swindling of drivers at gas stations countrywide. The meters at the refueling stations charge you for air(i.e. the meter starts running before the fuel starts pouring into the tank). Authorities are investigating.
These kinds of scams occur here on a daily basis, further cementing the stereotype of the money-grubbing Jew. Oh, well...
One of my good friends just did a Birthright trip to Israel and had some left over Israeli coins when he got back to Toronto. Apparently the one shekel (sp?) coin looks exactly like the Canadian dollar coin and he accidentally used one to take the subway. One Shekel is something like 30 cents. It's funny imagining the subway workers counting the coins, finding the shekel and thinking about that cheap Jew who paid for the subway with Israeli money.

That is true.

"To make all this affordable, France reimburses its doctors at a far lower rate than U.S. physicians would accept. However, French doctors don't have to pay back their crushing student loans because medical school is paid for by the state, and malpractice insurance premiums are a tiny fraction of the $55,000 a year and up that many U.S. doctors pay. That $55,000 equals the average yearly net income for French doctors, a third of what their American counterparts earn. Then again, the French government pays two-thirds of the social security tax for most French physicians—a tax that's typically 40% of income."

And...

"Many French doctors, in fact, earn more by increasing their patient load, or by prescribing more diagnostic tests and procedures—a technique, also popular in the U.S., that inflates health-care costs. So far France has been able to hold down the burden on patients through a combination of price controls and increased government spending, but the latter effort has led to higher taxes for both employers and workers. In 1990, 7% of health-care expenditures were financed out of general revenue taxes, and the rest came from mandatory payroll taxes. By 2003, the general revenue figure had grown to 40%, and it's still not enough. The French national insurance system has been running constant deficits since 1985 and has ballooned to $13.5 billion."
Source? The World Health Organization has ranked France's system number one in the world compared the the US at 37. I'm not saying it's perfect but from cursory reading it seems like it's a lot better than what the US has now. Also I completely support increased government spending on health and education so pointing out that France spends money on those things is only good.

So it's a tantrum if I use "naughty" words? I was expressing my belief that government should not necessarily be limited by some arbitrary means of determining a minimal invasiveness in public life, namely when the good is outweighed by what you perceived as automatically bad.

There's nothing arbitrary about it unless my moral foundations are incorrect (even that's not quite correct), and that's still not to say that I arrived at my conclusions arbitrarily.

cookiecutter said:
Source? The World Health Organization has ranked France's system number one in the world compared the the US at 37. I'm not saying it's perfect but from cursory reading it seems like it's a lot better than what the US has now. Also I completely support increased government spending on health and education so pointing out that France spends money on those things is only good.

There are a number of reasons to call that WHO report into question.

The very fact that healthcare is an industry in the US, is atrocious.

It involves scarce resources, so it has to be an industry.

It was BusinessWeek, and the article was a very well-rounded, unbiased account of the French Health Care System. Basically, the article said that, right now, their system is the best in the world; however, even they are in a kind of downward spiral because they're driving their debt higher due to so much government spending.

Here's the full article:
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/07_28/b4042070.htm

There are a number of reasons to call that WHO report into question.

Damn straight there is. Wish I had a the article handy that broke down how the WHO ratings were categorized, and basically, the whole thing is 100% bullshit unless all you want to do is pat a country on the back for controlling health care.

The Constitution never authorized any branch of government to force me to pay for/get health insurance. It's armed robbery, and another step into "slavery lite".

Also, with forced coverage can come forced care. Like mandatory vaccinations, and any other questionable health care practice. More bullshit.

All opinions on what "should" be done about various problems aside, and whether or not you believe in social programs or not, the bottom line is that:

The country is beyond broke, every social program is in the red by default if not outright, and even the Postal Service is in trouble. We can't spend money we don't have, and with the interest we are paying on the current debt, money we will never have.

Damn straight there is. Wish I had a the article handy that broke down how the WHO ratings were categorized, and basically, the whole thing is 100% bullshit unless all you want to do is pat a country on the back for controlling health care.

The Constitution never authorized any branch of government to force me to pay for/get health insurance. It's armed robbery, and another step into "slavery lite".

Also, with forced coverage can come forced care. Like mandatory vaccinations, and any other questionable health care practice. More bullshit.
You are like a caricature of a libertarian. I just have to laugh at how unbelievably dumb what you think is. Referring to giving people health insurance as slavery? Being against life saving vaccines? No reasonable person would believe this.

Also, redistributive taxation is on a par with forced labor, but you have to go through a process of reasoning to arrive at that conclusion; it's not just obvious. Some libertarians use terms like 'slavery' for rhetorical effect. It can get out of hand sometimes.

Yeah, i was surprised he didn't say we need to aduit the fed at the end of that. Anyway, i think we should have UHC. We wouldn't need to raise taxes to achieve this. Why is it we have finite resources for health care but unlimited money for war? Wouldn't you rather our tax dollars go to providing healthcare for our fellow american's than for using money to just blow shit up in the middle east? I mean if you are a sociopathic cunt that believes in the mentality of "fuck you got mine" aka libertarian, i can see why you don't give a shit.