Dakryn's Batshit Theory of the Week

This is pretty cool btw. I wonder if there is any relation to new ideas like string theory or spacetime dimensions.

Did any physicists/cosmologists comment on the impact of this? And maybe give the layreader a grounding on what a MECO really is, and also maybe what effect this discovery (if confirmed) might have on quantum physics and or string theory?

As far as I can tell, they don't really know what a MECO is because it still confounds our abilities to observe it; the evidence is derived an observed phenomenon that sounds remarkably like a black hole. I mean, the scientists say they've discovered a "hole" in the middle of an accretion disc. They disagree over what this signifies, however, because this object seems to possess a magnetic field.

I think the object itself is described as a ball of plasma. So, it's along the lines of a star, but one whose mass/density has reached a radically obscene level. The mathematics in MECO-theory suggests that total collapse (or implosion, what-have-you, that would constitute a black hole) is impossible; instead, the unimaginably dense object (and I mean fucking DENSE) would be so heavy that it would eternally collapse in on itself, but never fully collapse because it would continue to draw new matter in from the surrounding cosmos.

I'm not sure what the consequences are for other branches of astrophysics, but it's an interesting alternative to black holes. Partly, I'm just amazed by the sheer scale of these kinds of phenomena. The diameter of the proposed MECO-object is something along 4000 astronomical units; one AU is the distance between the earth and the sun. That's fucking HUGE.

As far as a layreader's account, this is probably as "lay" as you'll get: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetospheric_eternally_collapsing_object

EDIT: one question I have is how scientists can tell whether a magnetic field is being produced by the object itself (e.g. a MECO) or by its accretion disc (e.g. a black hole). Both of these objects have accretion discs, so how can we pinpoint the magnetic field's source exactly...?

Also, just another thing that I've been aware of but haven't really thought about consciously: we tend to think of black holes as "holes" because we can't see them, they pull matter toward them by their gravity, and so we think of matter as "falling into" a black hole... but black holes aren't "holes," they're actual objects. Incredibly massive, dense objects that simply don't permit us to see them because they trap light. But there is an object lurking in there...

In other news, picked this up from Hickman's blog. Again, I just love Bakker's ease when talking about something as elusive as consciousness:

Intentional cognition is real, there’s just nothing intrinsically intentional about it. It consists of a number of powerful heuristic systems that allows us to predict/explain/manipulate in a variety of problem-ecologies despite the absence of causal information. The philosopher’s mistake is to try to solve intentional cognition via those self-same heuristic systems, to engage in theoretical problem solving using systems adapted to solve practical, everyday problem – even though thousands of years of underdetermination pretty clearly shows the nature of intentional cognition is not among the things that intentional cognition can solve!

http://darkecologies.com/2014/06/11...d-enactivism-in-dialogue-with-r-scott-bakker/

My dismissive attitude was inspired by your sweeping claim that emergence can be discounted because nothing is truly more than the sum of its parts. This is haplessly uninformed, especially regarding all the literature from the past decade on emergent processes.

The claim that a "sum without all additives identified is missing important elements" isn't a scientific claim, Dak; it relies on no scientific evidence and appeals to no studies. There are books, tomes, written on this subject that describe how emergent phenomena cannot be explained by reducing them to reactions between their component parts. This isn't paradoxical or non-tautological; it's simply an acknowledgement that entities on different scales function differently, and that, just as a human being is an assemblage of cells and tissue and genetics, so a city is an assemblage of human beings (among other things). This is a very intense materialist understanding of how large scale entities can emerge and abide by entirely different laws than their components. We wouldn't have social networks or cities without conscious subjectivity; but social networks and cities can't be mapped linearly or according to personal beliefs, as individual human subjects can. They don't function according to "rational" desires.

Manuel DeLanda offers the best description, in my opinion. Of course, he acknowledges that emergent phenomena wouldn't exist without their component parts; but the material ontology of emergent phenomena - their scientific nature, we could say - engages complex models that draw from but develop upon constituent parts. They cannot simply be viewed as a lump sum.

I asked you to read these books - not all of which are philosophy books (Gould was a scientist, as is Johnson, and DeLanda's philosophical models appeal specifically to scientific terminology) - because they provide the evidence that contradict your anti-emergence claim. Finally, I don't understand how you can agree that consciousness is an emergent phenomenon and yet deny the tenets of emergence as such.

Well I don't mind reading, I just lack time. You saw how long it took me to finish Up From Slavery (and it has nothing to do with reading speed).

The reason I don't have to frame or interpret emergence in the same way some other person does is the same reason I don't draw the same conclusions from contingency. A robust understanding of probability replacing a simplistic cause/effect view is really not that radical at all unless probabilities are radically different, and emergence does not necessarily flip anything on its head other than dualism.

Let us say it is not the "sum" of it's parts. It is the product then. This still does not allow for theories which counteract the base yet remain stable or coherent in some way.

Additionally, I disagree that organizations of bodies are any less rational than the individual bodies purely on principle. The framework is the same, we just substitute people and machines for the sense organs and nervous systems, and the decision making levels of management as various levels of executive function.

I believe theories that reflect the complexity of modernity are more useful than archaic notion of the conscious, rational, economic subject.

Archaic notions about the conscious, rational economic subject, or that the very notion of the conscious, rational, economic subject exists is archaic?

The reason I don't have to frame or interpret emergence in the same way some other person does is the same reason I don't draw the same conclusions from contingency. A robust understanding of probability replacing a simplistic cause/effect view is really not that radical at all unless probabilities are radically different, and emergence does not necessarily flip anything on its head other than dualism.

I'm not sure I understand what this means. Are you saying that emergence is basically an inversion of dualism? First off, I don't know what an inversion of dualism would look like (it seems to me that it could be many things); and second, probability is one component of emergence theory, but it's far from the whole story.

Let us say it is not the "sum" of it's parts. It is the product then. This still does not allow for theories which counteract the base yet remain stable or coherent in some way.

Product is better; DeLanda says how we need to replace "cause and effect" with "production" (this also obviates the notion that singular causes lead to singular effects).

But emergence also works beyond the linear, which is still how you're thinking about it. We have to expand our frames to include multiplicities and entities beyond the purview of the entity in question. A singular entity might be involved in - or comprised of - instances of production that contribute to its nature; but it is also a component process in a larger entity, and this also contributes to its nature. Furthermore, all entities exist as capacities for others. Emergence takes the realm of the virtual into account, and this allows us to see these entities on a plane beyond mere linear causality - a painfully narrow field of perception to begin with.

Additionally, I disagree that organizations of bodies are any less rational than the individual bodies purely on principle. The framework is the same, we just substitute people and machines for the sense organs and nervous systems, and the decision making levels of management as various levels of executive function.

Eh, this sounds like a reiteration of the organismic metaphor. It's popular, no doubt; but it's flawed. The organismic metaphor accounts for relations of interiority, but not exteriority. It reifies the body as the model of all systems of relation, and privileges the absolute boundaries of the body. That said, it doesn't surprise me that you would hold to it. I find it to be more romantic than scientific.

Archaic notions about the conscious, rational economic subject, or that the very notion of the conscious, rational, economic subject exists is archaic?

Both really; but I was specifically talking about the latter.

I'm not sure I understand what this means. Are you saying that emergence is basically an inversion of dualism? First off, I don't know what an inversion of dualism would look like (it seems to me that it could be many things); and second, probability is one component of emergence theory, but it's far from the whole story.

No, I mean that dualism no longer appears to have a reasonable leg to stand on. And I didn't mean to suggest probability = emergence. I'm just pointing out a difference in application/interpretation of concepts. Theories don't have to be swallowed whole.

Product is better; DeLanda says how we need to replace "cause and effect" with "production" (this also obviates the notion that singular causes lead to singular effects).

But emergence also works beyond the linear, which is still how you're thinking about it. We have to expand our frames to include multiplicities and entities beyond the purview of the entity in question. A singular entity might be involved in - or comprised of - instances of production that contribute to its nature; but it is also a component process in a larger entity, and this also contributes to its nature. Furthermore, all entities exist as capacities for others. Emergence takes the realm of the virtual into account, and this allows us to see these entities on a plane beyond mere linear causality - a painfully narrow field of perception to begin with.

Reciprocation and interplay shouldn't be denied in analysis, but statisticians already have methods for dealing with them. If x is responsible for say, 60% of the variance in y and p is =/<0.01, then we can be pretty confident in making a claim about the causal relationship between x and y. Just because it isn't the whole story doesn't mean that throws the 60% out the window.

Eh, this sounds like a reiteration of the organismic metaphor. It's popular, no doubt; but it's flawed. The organismic metaphor accounts for relations of interiority, but not exteriority. It reifies the body as the model of all systems of relation, and privileges the absolute boundaries of the body. That said, it doesn't surprise me that you would hold to it. I find it to be more romantic than scientific.

Well it's not a perfect overlap, but I think claims of romanticism on just about anything are always already a pot-kettle situation.

Both really; but I was specifically talking about the latter.

So there is no consciousness, are no rationalizations, no economic action?

No, I mean that dualism no longer appears to have a reasonable leg to stand on. And I didn't mean to suggest probability = emergence. I'm just pointing out a difference in application/interpretation of concepts. Theories don't have to be swallowed whole.

Okay; of course, they don't. I think I've just lost this train of thought, and I'm too lazy to track it down.

Reciprocation and interplay shouldn't be denied in analysis, but statisticians already have methods for dealing with them. If x is responsible for say, 60% of the variance in y and p is =/<0.01, then we can be pretty confident in making a claim about the causal relationship between x and y. Just because it isn't the whole story doesn't mean that throws the 60% out the window.

Just to be clear, mapping an epistemological trajectory of entities within certain probabilistic limits isn't the purpose of emergence theory. Emergence is a model that attempts to provide ontological information about an entity. Of course, how something might behave would fall under this model; but emergence itself isn't only an epistemological framework by which we can "know" (more or less) what an entity will do. It hopes to provide an restructuring of ontology.

But you're correct, probability is important; I'm just saying that when we're trying to understand the nature of an entity, probability is only one component of the virtual possibility space.

Well it's not a perfect overlap, but I think claims of romanticism on just about anything are always already a pot-kettle situation.

Are you suggesting that my accusation of the organicist metaphor as "romantic" fails to acknowledge that it is somehow romanticizing its own position?

So there is no consciousness, are no rationalizations, no economic action?

You've presented me with a realist dilemma, and it's not going to be easy to answer. Presence versus absence: either consciousness exists, in which case it is present; or it does not exist, in which case it is absent. This is the preeminent metaphysical binary: that of presence and absence.

This is my very short answer: I refuse either pole.

What follows is my very long answer.

Choosing between presence and absence illuminates the illusion of two singular and self-contained entities: consciousness, or the lack thereof (not-consciousness). However, no matter which decision I make, I am confirming that there is a decision to be made; even by refusing the decision, I am acknowledging that a difference exists between the two terms (i.e. consciousness and non-consciousness); this is Derrida's différance, to differ and to defer. This basic material condition contains the ulterior to all conditioned possibilities, and it guarantees not that they may be chosen, but that the choice itself may be posited. Consciousness is at the level of the choice; that is, consciousness is the expression of its own indeterminacy.

This basic material ground deprives both choices of their universality, effectively destroying the either/or status established by Western metaphysics. Consciousness may exist, or it may not; but it is not the ground of its own existence, and this is what Bakker means when he says that intentionality exists, but there is nothing inherently intentional about it; or what Brassier says when he acknowledges subjectivity, but as a subject without a self. Many of the scholars I&#8217;ve quoted or mentioned have grappled with this choice: consciousness or not? The critical solution is to reject the question.

This is where models such as emergence allow us to formalize an ontology about consciousness that undermines the binary of &#8220;does it or doesn&#8217;t it&#8221;; what exists is an assemblage that feeds symbiotically on other systems contained both within and without the body. Consciousness cannot account for the entire body, and yet we act as though it does (i.e. &#8220;This is my body&#8221;); but what of the bodily reaction we don&#8217;t control? What of digestion, sweat, circulation, etc.? Furthermore, consciousness is a system of imagining, and so it is not restricted to the perspective of the body; we can imagine alternative perspectives, some people have out-of-body experiences, other suffer from phantom limb, other still find that their senses still function without their conscious enjoyment of them (e.g. blindsight). There is no phenomenological difference between seeing something that is red, and imagining the color "red" when our eyes are closed.

Finally, consciousness cannot account for itself. If this is a fundamental paradox of consciousness, then how can we say whether it exists or not? Consciousness can, in fact, in no way substantiate its own ontology. This is a well-documented fact of consciousness; it is recursive, and any expansion of the conscious frame necessitates a further frame. For if consciousness is observation, and it observes itself, then it is infinitely displaced. Consciousness becomes ungrounded.

Consciousness is a system that cognizes itself as whole and as a source; but it operates as though its having-cognized-itself doesn't necessitate a redefinition of its own limits. The very operation of consciousness consistently deconstructs itself. It is thus not an essential or originary apparatus. The fact that consciousness allows us to experience suffering or sadness grants it no absolute status. Consciousness is a system that prescribes intention to non-intentional systems (e.g. nervous system); it is an after-the-fact entity, emergent from various assemblages and their reactions with inner- and extra-bodily entities.

So, consciousness is neither present nor absent; consciousness is the trace of its own possibility.

"Nanofabrication":

Working with colleagues Paula Hammond and Yet-Ming Chiang, Belcher genetically altered a virus, the M-13 bacteriophage, inducing it to grab a pair of conductive metals &#8212; cobalt oxide and gold &#8212; from a solution. As the viruses rearrange themselves, they form highly aligned organic nanowires that can be used as a lithium-ion battery electrode &#8212; one so densely packed it can store two or three times the energy of conventional electrodes of the same size and weight. So far, the team has grown an anode. The next steps-which could be completed in two years-will be to grow a cathode, and to perfect the Saran Wrap-thin polymer electrolyte that separates the electrodes.

http://darkecologies.com/2014/06/16...and-the-future-of-biotech-and-nanotechnology/

That picture is one of the most terrifying things I have seen in a long time. People are looking for little green men....those things are the real aliens and they are going to take out humanity on a microbial level.

Crunchweek for me, final week of Summer I. All I want to say is that the nanobot wars in TDA were the only thing completely horrific from our current vantage point.

Interesting post on epistemic indeterminacy versus metaphysical indeterminacy:

http://enemyindustry.net/blog/?p=5057

Again, one can take indeterminacy in a deflationary anti-realist spirit &#8211; there are no semantic facts, just competing interpretations and explications recursively subject to competing interpretations ad infinitum (One popular way of glossing Derridean différance!).

Or there are semantic facts. In which case, these may be determinate or indeterminate. If there are determinate semantic facts, then the indeterminacy of radical interpretation is an artefact of our ignorance regarding semantic facts. If semantic facts are indeterminate, however, there is &#8211; again &#8211; a reality that is partially captured in competing interpretations that is never fully mirrored or reflected in them.

Yeah I figured you'd appreciate that article. Very interesting.

Back to economics, more writing from Per Bylund:

https://econreason.liberty.me/2014/06/16/the-fundamental-importance-of-the-trade-off/

End of the article:

For an economist or other social scientist, such experiments give very little insight into the universal human condition. In fact, what we see and can measure is the outcome of the thought and decision process of the individual. Our only means to figure out what this process is like is by stepping into our own process and through introspection attempt to understand how the studied individual could have reasoned. This is the reason Max Weber distinguished between the Erklären (explaining, in the sense of causal prediction with great precision) and Verstehen (understanding, in the sense of grasping the meaning or developing knowledge) sciences.

Erklären refers to the world as it is and can be objectively measured, including its causalities. As they can reasonably be assumed to follow unchanging laws, we can expect historical relationships to last into the future and this makes predictions possible. This is how we can accurately smash rocks to make iron and then steel and then construct space ships that takes people and equipment to other planets.

Verstehen refers to the social world, which does not actually exist in the objective, empirical sense that planets or iron does. While there is a study of social ontology, what it refers to is the fact that social phenomena are produced through the interaction of subjectively inspired and driven action and thereby are caused by them. While we can measure some aspects of them, such as apparent core values of a culture, we know through introspection that there is a meaning to those who are part of this culture that we cannot even come close to measure. We can at best produce a personal understanding for how these shared values affect or influence the intentions and valuations of individuals within this culture.

As the theoretical framework of Austrian economics shows, the fact that the social sciences lack obvious and observable alternative outcomes of seemingly simple situations does not render studies of the social world worthless or arbitrary. Contrarily, we can learn quite a bit about the world and produce a rather advanced understanding for the causalities that exist even in the social world. But such understanding does not allow us to produce predictions of magnitudes, since there are no constant relationships to rely on.

For this reason, we cannot say that, for example, an increase in the money supply by 4% brings about a general increase in prices by 4% (or any other percentage). We know only that the &#8220;artificial&#8221; increase in the supply of money affects people&#8217;s behavior in certain ways, and that this will tend toward an increase in price. Yet there are many processes at work simultaneously, which means the real and measureable price after the increase of the money supply may be higher or lower than it was before. We do know, however, that the price after the infusion of new money is higher than it otherwise would have been. (See my previous post on the use of &#8216;ceteris paribus&#8217; in economics.

The counterfactual in the study of the social world is not the same as that in the natural sciences. Physicists and biologists can &#8220;restart&#8221; the causal chain of events over and over again and measure the effect; they can also reasonably assume that relationships remain constant, since there is no intentionality involved in how matter reacts or how planets move. A social scientist cannot do anything like that, but must study the social world as it is &#8211; in constant flux, and as a consequence of actions by numerous individuals with different and changing goals, ends, and interpretations of the world.

We can only rely on our understanding for our inner world to interpret the intentions, values, and aims of other individuals. We can only attempt to understand other people, but were we to make predictions they will at best be very rough estimates. There is no reason to dismiss the former as unscientific, but the latter certainly doesn&#8217;t qualify as science.

Oh nice, I like the flow of articles we have going

Philosophy is a Bunch of Empty Ideas: Interview with Peter Unger
Philosophy: you either get it or you don't. The field has its passionate defenders, but according to its critics, philosophy is irrelevant, unproductive, and right at the height of the ivory towers. And now, the philosophy-bashing camp can count a proud defector from the other side: Peter Unger, Professor of Philosophy at New York University, has come out against the field in his latest book, Empty Ideas: A Critique of Analytic Philosophy.

http://www.3quarksdaily.com/3quarks...f-empty-ideas-interview-with-peter-unger.html

I read that last week.

Taken as individual ideas/theories, I would tentatively venture that he's correct. But if we approach philosophy as a continual practice and critical-conscious reflection on cultural norms, then I think we can fairly confidently say that, over the stretch of years (centuries, really), philosophy assumes a substantive structure.

Also, it's interesting that his target is analytic philosophy...

I notice almost every time I read someone about how "philosophy is useless," they always manage to completely avoid discussing ethics, politics or any other types of philosophy aside from metaphysics and epistemology.

I also do think philosophy will live on through people like Zizek (as an entertainer like Alan Watts), who uses contemporary examples people can relate to. Maybe he isn't 100% right, but people can get the gist of his point without understanding a hundred new terms.

Also, it's interesting that his target is analytic philosophy...

Well that is the dominant academic philosophical tradition, no? Do they even go deep into the Continental tradition or even consider postmodern thought?

Interesting :p

People with a lot of philosophical training, and something like a philosophical bend to their mind, can do productive work in areas where you don’t have to be a mathematical whiz, or learn up the frontiers of theoretical physics. For example, some young people help up with empirical linguistics, and they should be doing it a hundred times as much. I say something about that in the book. Something which I don’t discuss in the book is — they could do seriously helpful work in experimental psychology.

Well that is the dominant academic philosophical tradition, no? Do they even go deep into the Continental tradition or even consider postmodern thought?

I suppose it's the dominant tradition at his institution, perhaps; but I would classify Žižek (in a sense that is practically useless, mind you) as a Continentalist - not because he Slovenian, but because his whole methodology is forged from traditional Continentalist philosophies (i.e. Hegel, Marx, Lacan).

The Continental tradition also still lives on in major figures like Badiou, Brassier, Critchley, Latour, Laruelle, etc. It's a formidable movement, but it's dispersed throughout various institutions and fields. Definitely not the centralized, cohesive body that the "analytic" school is in the West.

Also, I learned recently (from a friend in the philosophy grad program at Harvard) that "analytic" really specifically refers to the tradition started by Frege and his immediate disciples. Simply referring to all Western philosophy departments as "analytic" is actually somewhat reductive, since they are comprised of pragmatists (a la Rorty), logical positivists (a la Russel), Marxists (a la Cohen), philosophy of science (a la Popper), aestheticians (a la Goodman), and political liberals (a la Rawls), including several more. For this reason, I've been referring to it lately simply as the "Western" tradition, or Western schools. Continentalism doesn't carry much weight in any of these circles, but it does vary depending.

On the other hand, certain contemporary Continentalists are trying harder to communicate with the stolid, monolithic presence that is the Western Tradition (such as Meillassoux and DeLanda).

Interesting :p

I feel the same way about philosophy doctoral degrees; the only thing the PhD really allows you to do is teach.

In an English graduate program you get to still study/contemplate philosophy; but you also contribute to language/linguistics, sociocultural history, and writing/composition. Lots of graduate educations yield (and require) a depth of philosophical knowledge, but also afford the opportunity to provide more concrete contributions to society at large.

That said, philosophy is just as important, and this is where I disagree with Unger. Although the opportunities are slim, it's important to keep the hermetic nature of philosophical investigation intact. It might seem futile and isolated; but over centuries, compounded philosophical knowledge can have a material effect on society.

Also, found this interesting...

http://www.xenosystems.net/capitalism/

Capitalism — like any ideologically contested term — is cross-cut by multiple meanings. Of these, its generic sense, which “simply means that private individuals own the means of production” is far from the most objectionable.

Yet, far more significant is the singular sense of capitalism, as a proper name, for a ‘thing’ or real individual. To grasp this, it probably helps to consider the word as a contraction of ‘terrestrial capitalism’ — not describing a generic type of social organization, but designating an event.