Dakryn's Batshit Theory of the Week

I feel the same way about philosophy doctoral degrees; the only thing the PhD really allows you to do is teach.

Which is one of the reasons I wouldn't go in that direction. Total lack of utility (and I don't mean "happiness").

That said, philosophy is just as important, and this is where I disagree with Unger. Although the opportunities are slim, it's important to keep the hermetic nature of philosophical investigation intact. It might seem futile and isolated; but over centuries, compounded philosophical knowledge can have a material effect on society.

Asking questions could be considered more important than the possibly non-existent answers.

Well a post like that would make perfect sense coming from someone with a D&G perspective. Can't say that I agree with using "event" like that.

Again, here, we hit the issue of emergence and/or assemblage. "Event" and "singularity" make sense if we acknowledge that capitalism cannot be reduced to the mere act of free exchange between individuals. There is something larger and more complex at work. Capitalism isn't bartering; capitalism is what emerges as increased networks of barter and exchange begin to develop, unfold, and expand.

Its singularity, its being-as-event, isn't in the moment of transaction between two people. Here lies the crux of the argument between those who see capitalism as simply exchange, and thus as old as humanity itself (going back to ancient forms of barter); and those who see capitalism as immense, complex, and historical, and as an event irreducible to exchange.

I'm still forming my thoughts on this, but I have a hunch that bare-bones bartering can't be considered capitalism for the simple fact that it can't be considered anything at all - it simply is. Capitalism entails self-consciousness. It heralds a reflexivity in which systems begin doubling back on themselves, feeding back into their own definitions and behavior. As soon as we become aware of the social forms and representations (of which "capitalism" - the word - is an example) we can no longer experience the basic, non-reflexive act of bartering as anything but an imagined ideal (a kind of pristine origin; i.e. the act of free exchange).

That's barely fleshed-out, but I'm working on it.

Barter is only a part of the system of capitalism, the exchange part. This ignores the concepts of ownership, production, saving, etc. Trying to reduce the opposing position to barter would be to construct a strawman.

Sure, capitalism is immense, increasingly complex, and historical. This tells us of capitalism without telling us about capitalism. Immensity and complexity are vaguely relative and can apply to anything, and historical applies to everything in history. What I do find interesting about the approach to systems that posits an emergent factor of "self consciousness" is that this supports the old Invisible Hand arguments which were previously dismissed by critics.

I assumed that when I said "free" exchange, it implied ownership and all that goes along with it.

You're right that all I've done is say things that describe capitalism in an abstract sense. I didn't (and don't) feel prepared to go into more detail, but it's something I'm formulating.

Bear in mind that I perceive my words as a critique of capitalism without being a polemic against capitalism. To be quite honest, I don't see myself as an anti-capitalist. The critique I'm forming is less of a manifesto for some other economic system and more of an exploration in the conceptual dynamics and vectors of capitalist production, which I personally find fascinating.

That said, it doesn't mean I don't find fault with some of the reifications and/or idealizations of pro-capitalist theory.

Re: dynamics and vectors. The number one influence, or influencer, that I can see internal to the system is the source of money. Whether it be company scrip, national scrip (USD for example), officialy minted metal, digital money, etc. The number two and three influencer appears to be land and energy (food and fuel), and I'm not sure exactly which of two and three comes first.

The ratio of the 3 to each other, and who dictates who gets preference for access to any of the three is of massively disproportionate influence on the rest of the system (of course, that goes for any economic arrangement).

I'm going to use this post as a placeholder for something I'll respond to in the next day or two. As a philosophy/mathematics student that has a background in analytic philosophy, but has both studied in a continental department and has slowly shifted toward continental interests, I have a lot to respond to in that amazingly short-sighted interview. The only problem is that I'm about 30 drinks in and couldn't conceivably contribute anything of substance in my current state.

Here's a neat quote from an Alistair Cooke broadcast (1957):

It has been suggested, in some academic quarters, that what is wrong with American technology is that it has gotten into the habit of being obsessed with the invention itself, the object seen and patented, the visible air conditioner, bean slicer, jet bomber or whatever. In other words, there has been this week, for the first time, what I can only assume is a healthy bit of soul-searching about the American tendency to skimp on pure research. Not the pure research that eventually leads to the toaster or bomber. But the pure research, financed in good faith, that doesn't lead anywhere at all.

Wouldn't that assume that it is possible to lead to nowhere?

Continuing with the consciousness theme:

http://www.technologyreview.com/featuredstory/528136/searching-for-the-free-will-neuron/

A perennial debate in philosophy is whether, if our choices are caused by something (anything), we can still be said to possess free will. Hilary Bok, a philosopher at Johns Hopkins University, says many modern philosophers—perhaps most—believe freedom of decision is possible, but that of course neural processes lead to urges and actions. “The idea that your choice might be caused—including by something happening in the brain—occurred to us a long time before the neuroscientists started filling in the details of how it happened,” she says. Freedom doesn’t require a ghost in the machine; we might still have some sort of free will if it can be shown that our neural circuits give us the capacity to weigh options and choose the right ones. “I love these experiments and think they are really interesting,” she says, “but I’m less convinced whether they have shown anything crucial about free will.”

What’s really important about the experiments, she adds, is that they start to provide insights into human behavior. This could someday lead to therapies, but until then, insight alone can help. Consider the case of James Fallon, a neuroscientist at the University of California, Irvine, who discovered that his own fMRI scan bore similarities to those of known psychopaths (it indicated low activity in brain regions associated with self-control and empathy). Fallon has described how he now makes a conscious effort to modify his everyday decisions and behaviors—such as his tendency to want to defeat his young grandchildren at games. “When I think about freedom of the will, a part of what is required is that we have some ability to control our own actions,” Bok says. “It would be important to me to discover whether a psychopath who decides to use his or her narcissism to defeat that narcissism can actually succeed.”

Though it’s still at an early stage, *Kreiman’s work adds to this kind of understanding, says Patricia Churchland, a philosopher at the University of California, San Diego, who avers that neuroscience can illuminate old philosophical questions. Churchland believes that the experiments could be important in shedding light on whether decisions can be altered or urges held in check, and might help explain why some people have difficulty controlling their impulses after brain damage. “The explanations are far from complete, but a pattern of results is fitting together in illuminating ways,” she says. “Self-control is an entirely real brain phenomenon. Insofar as self-control is a key component of free choice, we do in fact have free choice. From a range of data it is becoming quite clear that there are significant neural differences between people who have the capacity to cancel actions or defer gratification and those whose capacity is diminished.”

Kreiman, too, sees practical potential in teasing apart the circuitry of decision-making but deflects my questions about how his work could lead to new drugs or therapies. “The main question at the scientific level is to understand the mechanism by which volitional decisions are made: where, when, and how they are orchestrated,” he says.

Wouldn't that assume that it is possible to lead to nowhere?

I believe that's the whole idea.

I wouldn't limit free will to the auto-response of motor activity, but I also don't think we need to retain it as a metaphysical value in order to compose a new theory of the subject.

As far as emergence theory goes, I don't think it necessarily precludes the possibility of free will. If the mind, or consciousness, is a phenomenon that emerges out of complex brain activity, then this is no reason to disregard it. It merely gives us a new ontological model for "mapping" the mind; free will, in this model, can certainly have a quantifiable effect on material processes, but we can't disregard the fact that very small, disparate assemblages in turn affect the system of consciousness. I think of it as a feedback loop.

Going back to capitalism, I was reading this article from Kickstarter and it reminded me of the capitalist critique of Ayn Rand's work.

https://www.kickstarter.com/stories/wallets

Similar things happen to every design. The elastic sleeve keeps mutating, evolving niche features to suit different backers. “They’re all very different,” says Sutter. “Things like the Crabby versus the Slim versus TGT — they’re all using similar principles, but I don’t find them redundant.” It’s more like one big process of crowd-based personalization; wait long enough, and there’s a good chance someone will tweak the wallet in a way that suits you. “Everybody’s got their own way of innovating within that archetype,” says Hall. “The metal wallets aren’t terribly different, but they appeal to different sensibilities. Some people like more tools integrated. Some people prefer making it as compact as possible. I think there’s still a lot of room to play with it.”

These are all business moves — ways of using equipment more efficiently, serving demand, finding a market. But they also feel motivated by a simple desire to see what can be made. There’s a thrill in the notion that the simple objects we touch every day don’t have to come from some vast global chain of megafactories and superstores, designed by massive conglomerates to serve everyone in general and nobody in particular. If you have the ideas and the skills, you could create a wallet, or a pen, or a lamp, or a water bottle — any of the manufactured objects you see around you every day — rather than waiting for it to materialize from some corporate ether.

It’s a small thing, but there’s a certain satisfaction in it. “If you look at Kickstarter as a place where designers, producers, creators, and people who care about what they have in their lives can meet and agree on stuff,” says Dimatos, “then for everything that’s boring, this can happen. You know that boring thing? Well, now there’s five half-interesting ones people want to fund. And one day, maybe, there’ll be a couple really interesting ones people want to fund.”

http://www.libertyunbound.com/node/858

Rand ignored all services in her representation of history (1963: 10–57) as a battle between Attila and the Witch Doctor and their antithesis, the Producer. Indeed, her practice of using “industrialist” as a synonym for businessperson excludes businesspeople who produce “penny ante” products, along with those who provide services.

Edit: re research to nowhere. I don't think that it exists or could exist. Even knowledge of a dead end is something. Also, sociological/psych research is pretty close to "pure" in the sense it doesn't necessarily lead to any product.

Well, I misunderstood when you said "nowhere"; pure research is conducted without any intention to make a product or provide a service. Of course, it may end up influencing work on some product or another; but it has no product in mind when it sets out.

Of course it works to formulate new knowledge.

Thanks, I do find it interesting. I don't have any comment on it either, really. :cool: But it sounds like a cool book. If classical antiquity was my primary field, I'd probably read it.

Re. our whole discussion of consciousness, subjectivity, intentionality, etc.: I'm reading a book that presents a very coherent picture of what Derridean deconstruction has to say about these concepts. It is not a work of neuroscience or philosophy of mind, but literary theory; it's written by Martin Hägglund, from Yale, and it might be the most lucid and yet nuanced explication of Derrida's work that I've ever come across: it's called Radical Atheism: Derrida and the Time of Life.

I can't include any quotes now because I'm at work, but it's a seriously poignant defense of Derrida's work and illuminates what deconstruction means for consciousness and self-identity.

Phil-Referee-Signals.jpg