Dakryn's Batshit Theory of the Week

The NRA is a voter driven lobby (yes gun manufacturers also play a part, but a fraction). But what is the bidding? They literally do nothing *to* leftwingers except fight for their liberty (they don't even have to go buy weapons. But they have the option to buy and carry). It's apples and oranges with leftwing environmental policy outside of "not liking x". If the NRA were pushing for mandatory buying and carrying of weapons for everyone I would agree with you.

As it stands, the NRA has a stranglehold on the political process by paying its representatives, who simply vote - repeatedly - against even attempts to investigate or conduct research on gun manufacturing and violence. This isn't fighting for anyone's "liberty" (it actually surprises me that you would write that); it's an insurance policy on gun manufacturing by financially exploiting the political process.

I think this characterization is off. It's a case by case basis as in, it depends on the thing being discussed as to whether a rightwing or leftwing person will appeal to subjectivity vs structure.

It was a generalization - I said "tend to." And I know this generalization to be (generally) accurate. :cool:

As it stands, the NRA has a stranglehold on the political process by paying its representatives, who simply vote - repeatedly - against even attempts to investigate or conduct research on gun manufacturing and violence. This isn't fighting for anyone's "liberty" (it actually surprises me that you would write that); it's an insurance policy on gun manufacturing by financially exploiting the political process.

Maybe they vote against it because you don't need to research "gun manufacturing and violence". Guns being manufactured will correlate with gun deaths - tons of money and time on research saved. And that relationship doesn't mean anything. We could have an equally useful study on backhoe manufacturing and holes in the ground.

You're going to have to explain the thought process behind "exploiting the political process" and "insurance policy for gun manufacturing". By liberty I mean options - not being legally forced to or to not engage in X. If the NRA members and gun manufacturers were lobbying to get mandatory buy laws passed or even merely trying to get subsidies, I'd understand the anger and the comparison. But as it stands there is no comparison.

It was a generalization - I said "tend to." And I know this generalization to be (generally) accurate. :cool:

"My body my rights".

Maybe they vote against it because you don't need to research "gun manufacturing and violence". Guns being manufactured will correlate with gun deaths - tons of money and time on research saved. And that relationship doesn't mean anything. We could have an equally useful study on backhoe manufacturing and holes in the ground.

How do you know you don't "need" to if they've already prevented research groups from doing so? Seems like you're just picking and choosing what to restrict at this point.

You're going to have to explain the thought process behind "exploiting the political process" and "insurance policy for gun manufacturing". By liberty I mean options - not being legally forced to or to not engage in X. If the NRA members and gun manufacturers were lobbying to get mandatory buy laws passed or even merely trying to get subsidies, I'd understand the anger and the comparison. But as it stands there is no comparison.

I'm not sure how paying representatives to vote a certain way isn't a manipulation of political process. That seems like a "conflict of interest" if I've ever seen one.

They're preventing the "option" of conducting research. You're thinking about individual rights - I'm thinking about larger patterns. To put it another way, you're focusing on individual experience - I'm tending toward systemic models. Seems as though my generalization was right in this case.

Look, I wouldn't be for appealing to any research in favor of banning firearms. That would be an example of the same paranoia of which I'm critical. I maintain the potential for an increasingly complex and reflexive society that can implement models and processes of regulation without limiting people's choice to own firearms. Obviously there are potential problems and pitfalls with any kind of regulatory society, but I think that the gains outweigh the dangers. I don't have any overwhelming love for the sanctity of the body or the human individual, as you know; but I think we can retain some of those institutions while still permitting a social evolution that makes use of us in ways that are decidedly posthumanist.

That's my two cents, and I don't know how much farther we can stretch this.

I'm not sure how paying representatives to vote a certain way isn't a manipulation of political process. That seems like a "conflict of interest" if I've ever seen one.

The NRA is a voter lobby. Being in politics requires raising money. Every single politician is engaged in some level of quid pro quo with regard to constituency. Furthermore, as CIG already mentioned, the general Republican base is against any moves against guns. I'm not even a Republican nor an NRA member and I at least am happy about the sort of dug-in position on this issue. One of the few legislative brightspots in DC imo.

How do you know you don't "need" to if they've already prevented research groups from doing so? Seems like you're just picking and choosing what to restrict at this point.

They're preventing the "option" of conducting research. You're thinking about individual rights - I'm thinking about larger patterns. To put it another way, you're focusing on individual experience - I'm tending toward systemic models. Seems as though my generalization was right in this case.

Look, I wouldn't be for appealing to any research in favor of banning firearms. That would be an example of the same paranoia of which I'm critical. I maintain the potential for an increasingly complex and reflexive society that can implement models and processes of regulation without limiting people's choice to own firearms. Obviously there are potential problems and pitfalls with any kind of regulatory society, but I think that the gains outweigh the dangers. I don't have any overwhelming love for the sanctity of the body or the human individual, as you know; but I think we can retain some of those institutions while still permitting a social evolution that makes use of us in ways that are decidedly posthumanist.

That's my two cents, and I don't know how much farther we can stretch this.

It's simply unclear to me what would be learned about the relationship between guns and gun deaths from any CDC research (nevermind the fact that the CDC is the Center for Disease Control. Guns aren't a disease.) that cannot already be quite easily gleaned from perusing FBI crime statistics and suicide statistics. It's a practical tautology, and I think you've said as much yourself. An argument needs to be made as to why an official analysis of such a practical tautology matters before wasting time and money on that, which could be used in other ways, like more funding for infrastructure which has been analyzed to death already and is repeatedly given poor grades.

Edit: Wasn't familiar with the Dickey amendment. After reading the details I approve:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickey_Amendment_(1996)

In United States politics, the Dickey Amendment is a provision first inserted as a rider into the 1996 federal government omnibus spending bill which mandated that “none of the funds made available for injury prevention and control at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) may be used to advocate or promote gun control.” In the same spending bill, Congress earmarked $2.6 million from the CDC's budget, the exact amount that had previously been allocated to the agency for firearms research the previous year, for traumatic brain injury-related research.

I have 3 different reasons for like this.

Last edited:
The NRA is a voter lobby. Being in politics requires raising money. Every single politician is engaged in some level of quid pro quo with regard to constituency. Furthermore, as CIG already mentioned, the general Republican base is against any moves against guns. I'm not even a Republican nor an NRA member and I at least am happy about the sort of dug-in position on this issue. One of the few legislative brightspots in DC imo.

Well, we all pick and choose.

It's simply unclear to me what would be learned about the relationship between guns and gun deaths from any CDC research (nevermind the fact that the CDC is the Center for Disease Control. Guns aren't a disease.) that cannot already be quite easily gleaned from perusing FBI crime statistics and suicide statistics.

Probably because they haven't allowed the research to happen. Hard to know what the research will show until you actually do it.

Probably because they haven't allowed the research to happen. Hard to know what the research will show until you actually do it.

Well I would hope there would be hypotheses and such. We have statistics on crime committed with guns. We have statistics on suicides committed with guns. We have them broken down by race, location, sex, etc. Independent non-profits already do some work with these statistics. I know your academic background would lead you to see little issue between conflating polio with guns (making guns a CDC issue), but I would hope you would understand why many might take issue with treating guns like a disease. Besides ontological contentions (where you and I would be at odds), theres the insinuation that possessing a gun makes one ill by default.

Edit: Speaking of traumatic brain injury research (and also, suicide causes), a breakthrough:

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/sto...njures-reveals-microscopic-scarring/86341098/

The veteran who died by suicide, for example, was a military retiree who served with distinction for more than 25 years. According to his wife, he had been exposed to multiple blasts, both during training and in combat, and, after retirement, sought medical treatment for headaches as well as memory problems and cognitive changes.

He had been treated for PTSD, depression and anxiety, and a month before he died of a self-inflicted gun shot wound, had an MRI that showed no evidence of brain damage.

But the post-mortem analysis done at brain repository showed a brownish dust — scarring, according to Perl — along his brain's gray matter and elsewhere.

The authors say the blast wave causes damage at the interface of the brain's structural boundaries, to which the brain reacts with scar tissue.

While examining the brains of former troops to understand the relationship between combat exposure and traumatic brain injury is not new, this study differs from previous ones that explore the effects of concussion or impact-related injury, Perl said.

Of course I don't know if this was discovered with money diverted by the Dickey amendment but it could have been.

Last edited:
Sure, I get why people would be upset by the insinuation that owning guns is a disease. That doesn't mean I don't think the CDC has any jurisdiction in the matter. I'm completely comfortable with the notion that every single human brain suffers from some form of pathology - that there is no normal for cognitive function. There is only what most brains happen to conform to, or gravitate toward.

The CDC tracks any and all leading causes of death. Guns fall into this category.

In other much cooler news, robots are building responsive environments now:

http://www.designboom.com/architect...victoria-and-albert-museum-london-05-18-2016/

the responsive shelter will grow over the course of the V&A’s engineering season. sensors in the canopy fibers will collect data on how visitors inhabit the pavilion and monitor the structure’s behavior, ultimately informing how and where the canopy grows. during a series of scheduled special events, visitors will have the opportunity to witness the pavilion’s construction live, as new components are fabricated on-site by a KUKA robot.

Sure, I get why people would be upset by the insinuation that owning guns is a disease. That doesn't mean I don't think the CDC has any jurisdiction in the matter. I'm completely comfortable with the notion that every single human brain suffers from some form of pathology - that there is no normal for cognitive function. There is only what most brains happen to conform to, or gravitate toward.

The CDC tracks any and all leading causes of death. Guns fall into this category.

And now we have a hypothesis to start testing. Guns cause death. A few clinical trials can easily prove or disprove this. Put a gun in a room with someone and no other objects in the room. See how long it takes for the gun to viciously attack and maim or kill the person.

In other much cooler news, robots are building responsive environments now:

http://www.designboom.com/architect...victoria-and-albert-museum-london-05-18-2016/

I thought the 3D bridge building robot was cool. That structure looks far too Shelob-esque for me to like it.

And now we have a hypothesis to start testing. Guns cause death. A few clinical trials can easily prove or disprove this. Put a gun in a room with someone and no other objects in the room. See how long it takes for the gun to viciously attack and maim or kill the person.

Probably a very long time.

This is basically a reiteration of Dawkins's refutation of Murphy's Law: i.e. it would require that inanimate objects possess agency.

I'm not suggesting that guns are to blame for deaths - it makes no sense to blame guns. I am saying that guns can be a causal actor, and this is perfectly legitimate.

That being said, I appreciate your supreme skepticism. I just also happen to think it's premature.

I thought the 3D bridge building robot was cool. That structure looks far too Shelob-esque for me to like it.

It's funny, another friend of mine said something similar. I love the "insectuous" aesthetic.

Probably a very long time.

This is basically a reiteration of Dawkins's refutation of Murphy's Law: i.e. it would require that inanimate objects possess agency.

I'm not suggesting that guns are to blame for deaths - it makes no sense to blame guns. I am saying that guns can be a causal actor, and this is perfectly legitimate.

That being said, I appreciate your supreme skepticism. I just also happen to think it's premature.

I've heard arguments comparing guns to alcohol: Good when used appropriately, dangerous to self and others when abused. It's not a perfect parallel of course. But in either case we are talking about personal behaviors, cultural/personal orientations, etc.

I'm not a fan of spiders at all. I appreciate they keep bug populations in check but that's the extent of my positive list of things about spiders.

Do you really see nothing wrong with an argument like this when you make it? Come on.

Do you really see nothing wrong with an argument like this when you make it? Come on.

Do you see nothing wrong with rhetoric like "guns cause death" when people use it? Furthermore, the lumping of deaths into a homogeneous suite is on a level of categorical sophistication that Developmental Psychology likes to think we grow out of prior to starting grade school. Obviously this is incorrect.

Reactions: CiG
What's the issue? Are you suggesting inanimate objects and tools have cognitive will and sentience? If I stab a man in the trachea with a pen, I'm highly dubious that the police are going to incarcerate the pen. Just a crazy thought, but how about we blame human beings for the wrongdoing they perpetrate instead of ascribing it to the ultimately arbitrary means and tools by which they accomplish it?

Reactions: Dak
Do you see nothing wrong with rhetoric like "guns cause death" when people use it? Furthermore, the lumping of deaths into a homogeneous suite is on a level of categorical sophistication that Developmental Psychology likes to think we grow out of prior to starting grade school. Obviously this is incorrect.
A gun cannot cause death unless it is used by someone with violent intent, but it makes death a more likely outcome when someone acts on violent intent. Therefore, the presence of guns increases the number of deaths.

"Guns cause death" is indeed a misleading phrase, but I didn't use it - you assumed I meant it when I replied to you, which is also misleading.

Not true, guns can be misfired or accidentally discharged, no malice of intent is required, you could mistakenly drop a weapon and it could bury a round in someone's gut. Many things can cause death, so your point is essentially null and nugatory. If I leave a 20 foot pool of water around, the possiblity of death is technically increased as someone could fall in and drown where they may otherwise not have. You can apply such logic to nigh anything, and to selectively pick on firearms with it is patently absurd.

Congratulations for pointing out the boring edge cases I didn't feel like meticulously documenting. No, you didn't nullify my point.

I did actually, you tried to make guns increasing the potential of death out to be an especial trait of guns, which I demonstrated it was not. You also purported that malicious intent was required for guns to be involved with death, this is demonstrably false. No malevolence of intent is required to cause death with almost anything.

A gun is unlikely to cause death unless it is used by someone with violent intent, but it makes death a more likely outcome when someone acts on violent intent. Therefore, the presence of guns increases the number of deaths. The presence of other things, like 20 foot pools of water, also increases the number of deaths.

Happy now? Jesus.