Damn 2009 has been great for big metal releases!

As a Finn I must mention Kiana's debut album Abstract Entity - check www.myspace.com/houseofkiana

The Butterfly Effect made great album...yeah I'm into prog so Katatonia's and Porcupine Tree's albums are great listening to my ears too...

Did anyone like new Voivod album Infini? I did...

T:)

Vader - Necropolis, and the new Nile one are kicking my ass. New Slayer is good too, and Megadeth was great other than the boring weedly weedly solos. Even Mustaine got in on the act and changed his style to match the sweep picking bollocks of Broderick.
Tokyo Jukebox is a better album than the new Megadeth.

Oh, and Tim Owens "Play My Game" was pretty fine too, despite lacking some faster, more aggressive tunes.

For classic style metal, try the new 3 Inches of Blood, Here Waits Thy Doom, since nobody has mentioned them. It's one of the best metal releases of this year, to me. With the loss of Jamie Hooper, they've become the band they should have been. It doesn't get much more metal than this, really. :) (I am not going to suggest many others, to avoid the risk of being unfairly flamed. :p Kreator's Hordes of Chaos is really awesome, though.)

Edit: As much as I love Kreator's first 5 recordings, I have to agree with Timmyc that Hordes of Chaos is at least not less than any of those 5, Pleasure to Kill included.