Damn bands that can't wait for the finished product!

pitoga

Nov 30, 2009
Lima - Peru
WAAA!!!
I'm pretty pissed of right now! I've been working on a bands album for a while now and are close to finish it, I send them the files for them to listen in their favourite sound system to check for the last modifications. So far so well, they send me the list of things to fix and the album was set to be finished in about one week (have tons of other jobs). But then while I was browsing the web, I come across a flyer saying the band would present their new album on Thursday (yeah...LAST Thursday) so they went ahead and played the not finished versions through the radio. I was kinda pissed, cause on another occasion I had to make them take down the songs from their myspace. Well the show finished they received could criticism and apparently this would be just a small "wound". BUT NO!!!now I find myself listening to one of the songs y a on-line metal magazine!!!and not even the last version I send to them. another one that the guitarist convinced me to send him because we area friends for many years. I told him not to do that kind of stuff. And now he tells me he's got 2 interviews next week so I have to hurry. And there is no Label nor anything pushing them its just him alone. I send him an email telling him to remove all the material for the web. That I worked many hours on that not to show some nor finished version on internet. why should I even make their corrections if he already published it this way.

Maybe I'm being a pussy. And this shouldn't bother me. But I was recently making a name of myself in this scene.

Did someone of you experience something similar? any suggestions to prevent this in the future?

I know I should not send the files but I needed the final opinions

Ironically I have that plug in...but wanted to trust them because they were friends for years, and I though one of the few bands that take themselves serious in the scene. I was kinda wrong.
Well learned it the hard way

I always just say I'm putting it in to avoid confusion as to which is the final product, as the final thing won't have any artifacts. And the final thing doesn't come until you get paid.

And for the Beeper, I think some crafty bands can just put a notch EQ every 30 seconds to pretty much eliminate the beep, if they're really desperate. Silences are better because you can't do anything then.

this is why i never let any material leave my place before everything is finished and paid in full...ever. no exceptions.

I always just say I'm putting it in to avoid confusion as to which is the final product, as the final thing won't have any artifacts. And the final thing doesn't come until you get paid.

And for the Beeper, I think some crafty bands can just put a notch EQ every 30 seconds to pretty much eliminate the beep, if they're really desperate. Silences are better because you can't do anything then.

Beeper rules! You can't get rid of it even if you know all the values and use a track with flipped phase to cancel it. You can try a notch EQ but the whole mix still noticeably ducks every time there is a beep.

Oh yeah and trusting musicians tends to bite you in the ass. Which is a shame, since trust is pretty important for things to work.

Beeper rules! You can't get rid of it even if you know all the values and use a track with flipped phase to cancel it. You can try a notch EQ but the whole mix still noticeably ducks every time there is a beep.

Oh yeah and trusting musicians tends to bite you in the ass. Which is a shame, since trust is pretty important for things to work.

Really? I just assumed it was a sine tone, which would be easy to cancel out. In any case, I think silences are still better, and I'm pretty sure Beeper can do them.

I'll go one up and say the worse ones are those that nag constantly for the finished mixes. Only after you send them they never get back to you with any comments or acknowledgements. Then a few months later you find they've been passing around the rough mixes because they preferred them, but couldn't be bothered to say anything.

I worked with this very young band a while back. I sent them the first mix candidates to check if they're happy with the overall style and specifically told them not to play the songs anywhere publically or upload them. An hour or two later they were already up on MySpace. Lesson learned. Nowadays I've learned to trust my ears a lot more and don't need to resort to the band when mixing as much. They hire me for my style and ear, and if they want to go into a completely different tonal direction, they need to hire someone else. Now I only show rough mixes to people I know I can trust.

The Sneap forum generally loves to whine and bitch about musicians. These threads are getting old. They're like Sturgcore threads. That was my only point.

I would probably tell them those are the final mixes, not by your choice, but theirs. If they are going to release material you told them not to release, then they broke their part of the deal, so why should you give them new mixes?

edit:

Fucking DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE! HITLER HAD THE RIGHT IDEA!!!

this is your response in a thread about a wannabe attack attack band, and you're bitching here about people complaining about musicians?

The Sneap forum generally loves to whine and bitch about musicians. These threads are getting old. They're like Sturgcore threads. That was my only point.
Well, people tend to whine and bitch about the people they are "forced" to meet at work.. nothing new to me really. Nurses moan about stupid/arrogant/unkind patients, bankers moan about the stupid customers who don't understand anything at all, blabla, and audio engineers deal with - wait for it - musicians (or at least with wanna-be-musicians). So they complain about them naturally, if there were more people working with bigass producers and labels there'd probably be more rant threads about them.
I don't think it's "the sneap forum" whining about clients, it's just like everywhere else.. and sometimes it feels good to vent. Plus, someone could possibly profit from the mistakes others make. And that's one point of a forum, isn't it?

Glad to see I'm not the only which had this kind of situation. Talked to the guy and he told me he already send a mail to the guy who own the on-line metal magazine. But he said he didn't tell him to remove it just to change the name to "premix". well fair enough. worth is nothing.