Damnation = Prog Album

ending credits is awesome and so is weakness.... i initially wasnt that much into weakness. then i watched the DVD stoned and actually understood the song.

To start i think this Damnation album is quite awesome, Mike always proves that he can sing and this time i think that the best songs are Death Whispered A Lullaby, In My Time Of Need and Weakness.
While reading all the post, i've seen that you are discerning about if it's prog or what, for what i've been listening, it's prog... but not as much as they usually are, in fact, there are people that don't like this album, but it's all a matter of tastes... i have to say that they have "to reach the "sweet" point" so people can enjoy it... i, despite of what people could say, like it a lot!!

I love Smashing Pumpkins.......
Not to say that I don't like any Opeth album I've heard...
I have the 2 D's, and Still Life, and I like em all equally for different reasons!
:)

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Well, actually, it makes one hell of a difference, go listen to a band like Extol, and then compare them to King Crimson or Jethro TUll, and tell me that there is no difference.

I know that they are a progressive death metal band, but it's kind of hard to tag them with that genre, since there isnt that much of it out there, but this album I just realized sounded like a 70's progressive rock album, which there is lots of other music that sounds a lot like it.

That's not what I was trying to say. What was I trying to say? Meh. Put simply, Opeth are a progressive band, and regardless of whether it's death or rock, they still make awesome music. Hence the "no difference". :)

I haven't heard Camel, or much of Yes, Genesis and the like, but Damnation doesn't sound "old" by any stretch of the imagination. I guess that goes to Opeth's credit then, that they can make music that sounds relevant in two seperate timeframes. :p

Although if there's one band that Damnation *really* sounds like, that'd have to be.. Porcupine Tree. But considering the producer of their past three albums, does that really come as a surprise?

- S