Prog albums in the same vein as Damnation

I highly disagree with the part about most prog rock being happy...Yes and Camel maybe, but bands like King Crimson and Van Der Graaf Generator are responsible for some of the darkest music I've ever heard. Hell, even Genesis had their share of eerie moments.

Any Camel from the 70's, and 90's. Skip the 80's.

I like Camel much more than Floyd... though I used to be a huge floyd fan.. still am.. but Camel are just really great.

Demonspell said:
I highly disagree with the part about most prog rock being happy...Yes and Camel maybe, but bands like King Crimson and Van Der Graaf Generator are responsible for some of the darkest music I've ever heard. Hell, even Genesis had their share of eerie moments.

I don't even think Camel is particularly happy either. Songs like Supertwister, The White Rider, Song Within A Song, Spirit of the Water, Air Born and Another Night all come off as sad to me. Then again they have some happier moments too but I feel that its a 50/50 thing...at least with their earliest releases.

valgalder said:
Any Camel from the 70's, and 90's. Skip the 80's.

I like Camel much more than Floyd... though I used to be a huge floyd fan.. still am.. but Camel are just really great.

Yeah...Camel are less jaded, more spacey and more organic then Pink Floyd. Not that I don't love the Floyd too...:tickled:

I was wondering when someone was going to mention VDGG... that's about as dark as it gets. The mid-era Generator (Godbluff, Still Life, World Record) are just amazing.

Crimson goes without saying... any of the pre-Belew/Levin albums and definitely less-than-happy, but not angry. Tense, perhaps. Flower Kings are way too saccharine even for me. Good call on Genesis... The Knife, The Musical Box, The Return Of The Giant Hogweed... Cinema Show might be an interesting contrast to Damnation. Basically, any of the stuff before Banks and Collins strapped the leash onto Hackett... for three albums he was the band, and he's still The Man.

You may also wish to try some Fish-era Marillion, dark but self-absorbed. Or something I've been jamming lately, Versus X... like a not-so-sunny Flower Kings meets ELP, and they at least came up with ONE of the all-time riffs (about the 2:00 mark of Curtain Call).

My first vibe off Damnation (don't laugh) was like the one I had when I first played "Sap" by AiC; tonally similar, and like Damnation was to Deliverance, a very unexpected change of course from the previous Facelift.

Graven Image said:
My first vibe off Damnation (don't laugh) was like the one I had when I first played "Sap" by AiC; tonally similar, and like Damnation was to Deliverance, a very unexpected change of course from the previous Facelift.

No that's a nice call, Sap and Jar of Flies, have similar tone definitely, and are also excellent pieces of work!!

Don't listen to any of these clowns telling you Pink Floyd, Maudlin of the Well, Rush, Yes, fucking Coldplay, Jethro Tull, Godspeed You Black Emperors, etc. sounds ANYTHING like Opeth's Damnation album. That's just so ridiculous it's pathetic. It's obivous these people have no idea how to answer your question so they're just spouting out bands that are softer than the stuff they normally listen to.

If you want something that actually sounds something similar to Damntion, try Landberk's album "Indian Summer". Anything by that band is terrific, but I'll warn you their CDs are tough to find, especially the EPs. Some Porcupine Tree also sounds something like Damnation.

no one said that they sound the same.
the dude was looking for progressive rock in the same "vein" as Damnation... dark and depressive.

If Godspeed for you Black Emperor isn't dark and depressive, then I have no idea what is...

most of the recommendations are pretty damn good, including the one you just made - Landberk, "Indian Summer" - Mike Akerfeldt actually likes this one too.

Go kill another thread and leave this one alone.