Prog albums in the same vein as Damnation

Yes, someone point out these albums so I can avoid them heartily.

But hey, I'm here for the long haul, so I'll recommend you some prog rock albums that are really, really good, and not necessarily "depressive and dark."
Older prog
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
King Crimson - Larks' Tongue in Aspic
King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
Pink Floyd - Animals

Newer prog
Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways
Porcupine Tree - Signify
Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream
Porcupine Tree - Recordings
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Grand Openings and Closings
Alamaailman Vasarat - Vasaarasia
Azigza - s/t

The best prog album of all time, IMO, is Brain Salad Surgery by ELP. And Tarkus, by ELP. And Pictures at an Exhibition (fucking amazing), by ELP. But then again, I'm an ELP whore.

Top 10 Prog Albums, not really dark or depressive though, and in NO ORDER

Yes - Fragile
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery
ELP - Tarkus
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
Camel - Nod & A Wink
The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
Genesis - Genesis

and how could anyone forget Frank Zappa - Freak Out! :)

I'm not a big fan of current prog. =/

I agree, King Crimson is a great band to get into.
Although, their music is a lot more complex and layered than Opeth's Damnation. Red is a great and pretty dark album, the place to start I think...

A few more suggestions:

Camel - 1st three albums. All great. Mike's favorite band. This is more similiar to Damnation than King Crimson actually.
Van Der Graff Generator - Pawn Hearts - this is pretty dark stuff. Some say this is the first metal album.

Newer stuff:
God Speed for you Black Emperor - great stuff. 9 piece band with extreme peaks and valleys... darker than Damnation... no vocals.

Flower Kings - Alive on Planet Earth - live recording... this is a great live album... if you like Damnation, I think you will like this one, it's dark and yet uplifting... some of the coolest guitar playing I've ever heard on a live recording.

See link for samples:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00003TFUG/qid=1053797048/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-3590917-6242438?v=glance&s=music

illbeleavinnow said:
The best prog album of all time, IMO, is Brain Salad Surgery by ELP. And Tarkus, by ELP. And Pictures at an Exhibition (fucking amazing), by ELP. But then again, I'm an ELP whore.

Top 10 Prog Albums, not really dark or depressive though, and in NO ORDER

Yes - Fragile
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery
ELP - Tarkus
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
Camel - Nod & A Wink
The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
Genesis - Genesis

and how could anyone forget Frank Zappa - Freak Out! :)

I'm not a big fan of current prog. =/

Jethro Tull? :eek: I haven't heard them for ages, my Dad listens to them :D "A Crest For A Knave" is good too. :)

Well, if you want to try leaning more into the Prog Metal vein, I'd suggest Pain Of Salvation and deffinately Digital Ruin.

As for older Prog, you can't go wrong with Animals by Pink Floyd if you're looking for something with darker overtones. If you can tolerate the schizophenic nature of it, The Pros and Cons Of Hitch-hiking by Roger Waters is pretty grim... in more ways than one.

But, yeah, not much in the Prog world is too terribly down-trodden. Mostly very hopeful of fantasy-based lyrics and loads of musical/compostional showmanship.

Pink Floyd is not prog people... =/ I don't know why you think they are, they're psychedelic rock.

Here's a tip, btw, NEVER GET ANY COLLAGE OR SATELLITE, they are complete wack. Awful, awful prog band! Btw, Collage disbanded, some of the remaning members formed Satellite, so they're practically the same.

thebleakaffinity said:
nine inch nails - Still. Not really prog rock or rock at all, but incredibly depressing piano and keyboard driven music. Absolutely beautiful.

Yes. Check out the CRC Sessions bootleg as well.

And Pink Floyd may or may not be "prog", but whenever I hear Damntion, I hear a LOT of Pink Floyd in it.