Damnation

Beth

null
Jun 13, 2002
Kentucky
Visit site
It came yesterday, as I'm sure it did for the rest of you....I'm too lazy (and in too much of a hurry) to check existing threads about it.......just wanted to sing my praises of it. I'd never heard any of it before, so the first listen was the best 43 min. of my day :)
When Windowpane started I cried and cried from sheer joy....haha, every day I realize more and more what a sap I am :tickled:

I dont like it yet... I miss the BWP haunted feeling... this sounds like Santana at its moments.

But Ill guess that it will grow on me as all other albums have for me!

(plays Ending Credits) Yeah. But hey, Santana isn't bad. I'm glad they did this album. Now they can see if they’d want to do that again or not. It helps them in the long run to improve on their next move. That's what I'd think anyhow. :)

Beth - "I'd never heard any of it before, so the first listen was the best 43 min. of my day. When Windowpane started I cried and cried from sheer joy....Haha"

Cool, I did the same thing. Didn't hear a single note until the day it arrived in the mail. I love receiving new metal by mail. It justifies the entire postal system. :p

I've had a small pile of new CDs I've been meaning to put in my Jukebox, so when I got Damnation, I put them in one by one and closed the door. Immediately, I forgot what numbered slot I put each in. I had fun with it and tried guessing who each was before the vox kicked in. Mike's vox continue to impress.

Personally I just hate Windowpane :cry:
And I also cried when I heard it, for other reasons though. :lol:

I miss the BWP feeling! Deliverance and Damnation is just dark progressive music in my opinion, nothing beautiful really.

I really hope they want to do a haunting album next. BWP is the best album Ive ever bought/heard in my life. Even though I dont like Damnation so much, it is good music. I just dont compare Opeth records to other music :D

Got my copy yesterday, first I have ever heard it.

In My Time of Need is definately one of the best Opeth songs ever, it completely blew me away!

So far I like the CD, but I have only listened to it twice so I haven't completely absorbed it.

Risedfromthedead said:
I dont like it yet... I miss the BWP haunted feeling... this sounds like Santana at its moments.

But Ill guess that it will grow on me as all other albums have for me!
same here!! this record sounds quite unspectacular to me. I haven't discovered any really beautiful touching melodies so far. But it'll grow, I guess.

Windowpane is my favorite song, I do believe....didn't Steven Wilson write all of Death Whispered a Lullaby? I'm pretty sure that's what I read.

mm it's kind of funny now that I've got Damnation....with my friends, before, they'd all listen to Opeth and they'd like it, but they weren't too enthusiastic about them ("The guy's voice would take some getting used to, but I can see why you like them so much. They're really good musicians and stuff" and yadda yadda ya). But now they're like, "I hear you've got Damnation, hook me up, burn me a copy, NOW!" :lol:
Although there are a few who really took interest in the band before, eventually, but now things are really different...
Is this happening to anyone else?

A lot of my non-death metal friends like Opeth a great deal, even some of my no-metal-of-any-kind friends.

NAD said:
A lot of my non-death metal friends like Opeth a great deal, even some of my no-metal-of-any-kind friends.

Well yeah, but my point was just the absurdity (or irony) of everyone suddenly wanting to listen to Opeth, er just Damnation, I should say (only because it's not typical Opeth and it's all clean vocals :rolleyes: ).

I got the following albums today:

Opeth - Damnation (YES!)
Opeth - Still Life (FINALLY!)
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans
Anathema - Alternative 4
Dark Tranquillity - Haven
Peaceville classic cuts CD
Prophecy Productions - "To magic...' a label compilation

...and a couple of experiments:
Golgotha - Melancholy
Requiem Aeternam - Eternally Dying

I'm not disappointed by any of them, they ALL lived up to expectation. I must admit, I vowed never to buy two Opeth albums at a time, because I like to enjoy each one to the max before I get the next. But I just couldn't resist! And, on first listen, they both blew me away!

So, as you can probably guess, I'm slightly pleased.
supergrin.gif

opeth has been my favorite for a while
i got damnation yesterday
listened to it twice, liked it
listened to it like three more times...one of the best albums i've heard
and i say that in all honesty
no fanboy bullshit
this is what music is all about...

Those of you that have'nt found beauty in Damnation will do it in time. I first thougt the same thing at first. But now after more than 20 listenings, I found the album to be one of the best and beautiful albums I have ever heard. Just listen to the beginning of Hope Leaves...

Beth said:
mm it's kind of funny now that I've got Damnation....with my friends, before, they'd all listen to Opeth and they'd like it, but they weren't too enthusiastic about them ("The guy's voice would take some getting used to, but I can see why you like them so much. They're really good musicians and stuff" and yadda yadda ya). But now they're like, "I hear you've got Damnation, hook me up, burn me a copy, NOW!" :lol:
Although there are a few who really took interest in the band before, eventually, but now things are really different...
Is this happening to anyone else?

Actually one my friend said "nice melody" today at one point when I was playing black rose immortal, and that's a hell of a progression!
He listens to techno and I've been trying to get him accustomed to Opeth but this was the first time I really got any feedback.. Not to mention the "this music sucks"-comment at the first time I played Opeth to him..

Altho he's sometimes commented positively while playing bands like Dimmu Borgir or Cradle of Filth (not that he really liked them), but Opeth just isn't as easy to get into.

Demonspell said:
I have found many haunting moments on Damnation, especially on To Rid The Disease and Weakness (woe to all who mock this song...)

But its not near the haunting production of BWP. Its not just the music its the sound of the album... its more clear and not so fluid if you understand what I mean. Ending Credits could have been taken from any Santana album, and I dont like Santana.

Death whispered a lullaby reminds me of the Still Life era though. A good track!

I must add something... A little difference in the sound. All other Opeth thing has been dark haunting etc. I think about Camels walking through a dessert when I hear "Closure". Whyyyyy??? :yell:

Well I shouldnt whine so much as I do right now. Its just that that I d love BWP so much and I found both Deliverance and Damnation in a different direction Im not so very found of. I hope they will go back to the BWP sound in the future, that was tyhe best music Ive ever heard. And it also felt that it was that record Opeth got an Grammis for. They got a grammis for deliverance just to correct the mistake. Both albums should have got an grammis though :)