Damnation

"Damnation" is a great CD. This disc will go down as an abolute classic. I have no doubts that 20 years from now, this disc will still be relevant. If I have one complaint, it would be that I wish Mikael and Peter jammed just a bit more on it. Oh well.

GZ

aughhh what is going on with UM lately......grr...

Well I must say that I'm absolutely addicted to Damnation now, since I've had it for 3 days.....And I take back what I said about Windowpane being my favorite song......now Windowpane, In My Time of Need, Death Whispered a Lullaby, and To Rid the Disease are very much tied :D

Closure is good and Ending Credits is good, Hope Leaves is okay....Weakness is my only complaint :erk:

oh well, I've still got my Damnation high for the week

i love ending credits.Fair enough it is a touch santana,but i live that guitar lick.OHH YEAHHH!!!

Dunno what to make of it.......so far, I haven't found anything that really catches and makes me pay attention but hopefully, as many of you have pointed out, it'll grow on me.

I too miss the BWP feeling and for some reason, when I heard this album was coming out, I expected it to be all acoustic and was really looking forward to hearing more stuff like Still Day.., Harvest and Patterns In The Ivy I & II. Maybe that's why I can't get into it, because I was expecting something different.

Anyhoo, here's hoping that after a few more listens it'll make it's way up my favourites list

Just listened to it for the first time. I really love the mood and sound of it, the outstanding songs so far are "In My Time Of Need" and "To Rid The Disease", but I'm just giving it the second spin.

By the way: To me the album seemed shorter than it actually is, just like Deliverance...

Oh, and I LOVE the artwork.

Well, I am very unimpressed after the first couple listens. Windowpane is not a good opener, it's not a very good song and doesn't grab you like other Opeth openers did. I will give it more of a chance, but I see this cd gathering dust in the future.

dolphz said:
Well, I am very unimpressed after the first couple listens. Windowpane is not a good opener, it's not a very good song and doesn't grab you like other Opeth openers did. I will give it more of a chance, but I see this cd gathering dust in the future.

:OMG: umm yeah, definitely give it more of a chance....I love it more and more every time I listen to it....and I think Windowpane is an awesome song--I love it. Dude.......I feel sorry for you :D
I really do

As good as I percieve this album to be, don't you guys think you're starting to layer on the praise a little too thick?? :err:

This simplest was to look at this is to consider it THIS WAY:

Consider that you had never HEARD of a band called Opeth before.... or that this was Opeths FIRST ever release...... Would you still be heaping all the praise and adulation on it now as you would then??

.......Somehow I didn't think so. :bah:

Don't get me wrong, I still LOVE the album in it's own way, but you've got to admit that Opeths previous efforts carry this album... at least to some extent.

It's gives D2 relevance and meaning... wouldn't you agree?

Spike said:
As good as I percieve this album to be, don't you guys think you're starting to layer on the praise a little too thick?? :err:

Consider that you had never HEARD of a band called Opeth before.... or that this was Opeths FIRST ever release...... Would you still be heaping all the praise and adulation on it now as you would then??

Don't get me wrong, I still LOVE the album in it's own way, but you've got to admit that Opeths previous efforts carry this album... at least to some extent.

It's gives D2 relevance and meaning... wouldn't you agree?

Good point. But no, I don't think I'm praising it too much....yeah, we're biased, big deal :D

Spike said:

Excellent point. If this cd was relased by some obscure band, not many people would give it a second listen, and DEFINATELY no one would be posting on this or any other board how "great" this cd is.
I'm going on my fifth listen now, and Widowpane and In My Time Of Need are as monotonous and tedious as they were on the first listen.
Death Whispered a Lullaby, Closure, and Ending Credits are good songs, quite enjoyable, but they are not GREAT. Fact is, if this cd was released by any other band, I would say (and I bet you a lot of you who are heaping praises on it just because its Opeth) that it is a pretty lame cd, nothing special at all. Since its Opeth, however, I 'm sure we will all give it many more listens (or listening attempts).
Opeth does in fact deserve this extra attention due to all the extremely high quality material they have released in the past.