Dan vs Steven

Producers...

• Opeth and Dan Swano

Votes: 31 47.0%
  • Opeth and Steven Wilson

Votes: 35 53.0%

• Total voters
Sadly, I don't think this poll will be fair to Steven Wilson. During the first albums, Mikael had a lot of music written years before. It matured over the years, with Anders Nordin and Peter Lindgren giving a lot of input. Dan really didn't contribute too much to the sound, and in fact, Mikael has complained of the quality of the recording during Morningrise(which is up for debate).

Steven Wilson has contributed far more to Opeth than Dan ever did, but this is partly due to Opeth's busier schedule during his tenure at the helm. A lot of people like Steven's work and influence, and a lot of others, I'm sure, see it as a detraction from Opeth.

In the end, I suppose this'll just reflect the feelings towards Dan and Stevens own projects.
Moonlapse said:
We're all retards here :) .

Well, I'm a self-confessed Swano fan-boy ;) And combine that with the fact I don't like the direction Opeth have taken while Steve Wilson has been involved with them (weather or not that has anything to do with Steve, it may just be coincidence), and I vote for Swano ;)

Though yeah, I do think Steve has had the bigger influence on them, and been more involved as a producer, but then that's not what you asked ;)

i went for wilson, so far swano hasn't impressed me that greatly with stuff of his that i've heard, it might just take time to grow on me, although i do like opeths earlier stuff better, meh

Sorry Steve... Dan rocks my fuckin' world and his production and everything in the early days, tons of contribution or not, puts the later albums in the trash to me. Only Damnation really stands out in comparison, but they're entirely different in makeup and aren't quite up for comparison.

Hmmm...still deciding. To be fair, Steven did put in a good deal of effort, and his production was quality stuff...whether or not it's the 'right' kind of quality for Opeth is pretty subjective though. Dan on the other hand pretty much left Opeth to themselves as far as I know...so I think that's a bonus to him...
Tricky question...

I've fallen in love with Dan's stuff over the past couple of months. I think he's a true musical genius, and so prolific... plus, listen to Morningrise, it's magical, I love the sound. regardless of whether it's technically better, i find it much more suited to the style than a "flawless" production. I also don't like the direction Opeth has taken since Steven Wilson was brought aboard, and I think that to make their next album what Mikael seems to want it to be, with the black metal and all, Steven has to go, in favour of a more "metal" producer. it'd be nice if dan picked up this duty again, but something tells me this is never gonna happen. steve might as well be a band member now :( depressing...