Anyone hoping Steven Wilson..

I don't care either way, as long as his vocals suit the music and don't detract from it. I'm more hoping he stays the hell away from the album entirely though... but it doesn't seem like that's gonna happen.

i just hope steve like goes missing or something while mikael has to write and record and maybe the absence of steve and the depression of his friend missing will make good song writing

I think his vocals are just as good as Mikael's, if not better in some cases. I dont see how they could irritate you so much, being that theyre pretty similar to Mikael's in sound too, and if nothing else...not offensive or bad sounding. Not to mention, without Steven Wilson...mikaels vocals wouldnt be what they are today. Plenty of room for both of their vocals in Opeth's songs...Steven is the unmentioned 5th member of the band at this point anyway, and for the better if you ask me. :)

Exactly, Still Life features many of the best vocal melodies from Mikael so far. As if they need Steven Wilson to know what harmony vocals are. Wilson is a great musician, but I don't like most of his input in Opeth...and I know he's not to blame for the fact that I might not like the new Opeth stuff as much, but I know that anyway.
One thing that annoys me to no end is those piano outros...

ChrisEmerson said:
i was really dissapointed when i found out that steve sung the chorus on bleak, but i dont really have a problem with him doing backing vocals or anything.

did you stop liking the song? why would that make a difference as far as the music goes?

Land Of Grey And Pink said:
Steven is the unmentioned 5th member of the band at this point anyway, and for the better if you ask me. :)
mikael's vocal melodies and song writing were a more interesting and uniquee (ie not boring and plain) before his steven wilson obsession came into play.
I'll take clean vocals on Morningrise, MAYH and SL over BP D1 D2 any day.

yeah, his technique improved, but not his melodies nor emotional content.

Ok. Another Steven Wilson-thread! But hey, ok. Well. I think he's voice can be used. It's awesome at times on "In Absentia". I think the first track first vocal-moment is good.

Apprentice's Master said:
He should just produce and keep his music out of Opeth's business. No need to sing, compose, or suggest. Just produce, damnit.
Yeah. I don't so much mind the suggestions or a bit of composition or composition help here or there. But this is Opeth, there's *4* members.

I'm more worried about Opeth's influence on Porcupine Tree. I hope he doesn't decide to go overboard on the heaviness on the new PT album.

yeah i too was more disappointed when i found out he did the vocals on bleak. i used to enjoy his voice but now it is getting a little annoying so i think that he shouldnt sing at all since mikael is god

ProgMetalFan said:
I'm more worried about Opeth's influence on Porcupine Tree. I hope he doesn't decide to go overboard on the heaviness on the new PT album.
I totally agree with this.. In Absentia was too heavy for me.. in terms of being a PT-album, I mean. I absolutely love Signify and the surrounding ones.. the mellowness, etc.. when I listen to PT, I want to relax and float away.. not get smashed in the head with a 20 pound hammer.

And, as for Wilson's influence on Opeth.. on Deliverance (which isn't my favourite Opeth album.. more like, the opposite) I think the acoustic parts (which I suppose Wilson would've contributed too) are the highlights, while some of the heavy parts (which obviously Mikael wrote himself) sometimes get a bit boring

ProgMetalFan said:

Yea, i was thinking the same thing. Whether or not is is Opeth directly, but PT is certainly taking a more metal or at least "hard rockin" aproach to song writing these days. I love In Absentia, but i hope he doesnt get carried away with the metal sound, we dont need another Opeth.

As for everyone disliking Steven's input in Opeth's music, i never realized there was such an uprising about this. I have no problem with what he has contributed to the music, vocally or otherwise.

I agree that Mikael's vocals were good on the first few albums, but they were so below his potential. They sounded like good clean vocals in a metal band. Now his vocals sound amazing for any genre of music's standards...his control, and range and confidence is so much more than it was on the earlier albums, i wouldnt have it any other way. This hatred of Steven Wilson seems unjustified to me.

TheFourthHorseman said:
Exactly, Still Life features many of the best vocal melodies from Mikael so far. As if they need Steven Wilson to know what harmony vocals are. Wilson is a great musician, but I don't like most of his input in Opeth...and I know he's not to blame for the fact that I might not like the new Opeth stuff as much, but I know that anyway.
One thing that annoys me to no end is those piano outros...

Are you kidding me?

The piano outro of the Leper Affinity is incredible...it's so soothing, dark, and beautiful at the same time. It makes the track as a whole seem more epic.