Produce the next Opeth?

• Jens Bogren

Votes: 47 23.4%
  • Steven Wilson

Votes: 128 63.7%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 26 12.9%

• Total voters
Jens didn't produce, he engineered. But i would want Opeth to continue self-producing. Possibly with another engineer, but Jens did a fantastic job, so it doesn't matter.

Jens. He demonstrated that he understands Opeth have a soundworld of their own and he aptly represented all the genres and musical subsets they encompass in a productional sense. Keeping in mind his work with Opeth was more engineering than production related, I think that adds to the feeling that the material is pure 'Opeth'. Less outside influences and all that.

Steve Wilson has a tendency to leave behind traces of his own sound on material that he produces. Whilst that may be good in some circumstances, I do tend to prefer Opeth keeping strictly to their own devices, so to speak.

Moonlapse, even though I think the acoustics sound crisper on GR, I actually prefer their sound on Still Life. Do you think Jens could get that sorta sound again? Do you think Opeth would even want that sort of sound again, or are they all about refined and crisp production now?

I don't think they'd be after the Still Life sound anymore. Mike's remarked a few times about how the drums were over-verbed. I'd imagine the rest of it wouldn't sit too well with them either, in light of the direction they've been going lately.

I think the reason Still Life may sound better to you is because of superior songwriting. Sure, with a modern and refined production approach some of that magic may get sucked out, but it would still be a great record.

I don't see Opeth going backwards.

I voted other because i thought 'Ghost Reveries was pretty average', but on second thoughts i've changed my mind. Although i think Wilson is a genius (and can only dream of him ever producing my own music), i'd rather they worked with Jens Bogren a bit more. Seeing as Ghost Reveries was the first album they collaborated on at any level, i think it'd be rather hasty to jump ship straight away. Maybe if things don't work out all that well on the next release, then they should search elsewhere, but for now we should let things run their course.

Trickster would be a good idea though if they were to look elsewhere - i'd be interested in seeing what he manages to get out of them.

Mike felt the drums on SL had too much reverb??? interesting... I always felt the drums on GR sounded pretty lifeless and flat (despite the awesome playing of course... just the tone)...

It doesnt matter who produces the next record in my books. as long as the drum tone is improved...

edit: MAYH has a monstrous drum tone...

I have a feeling SW will return on the next album...but
I wonder if the addition of Per would affect his willingness to do so ???

Regardless I'm a big fan of his production skills

the guy who does Radiohead...!!!...hes pretty good too....!!!.....PEAC EOUT

Jens Bogren for the next, and maybe the one after that, and then someone else again.
Some variation is nice, but when you have someone who is great than you must at least explore possible results as much as possible (so for a few albums).

And I agree that Wilson leaves too much of a mark often. He is brilliant, but it's nice to hear a different approach less defined by that very typical sound.