• Jens Bogren

Votes: 47 23.4%
  • Steven Wilson

Votes: 128 63.7%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 26 12.9%

• Total voters
What albums has Garm produced?

Also, it would have been interesting to see what SW could have done for D&D has the writing and recording of these albums not been so fucked up. Those albums do not show the best of his abilities as BWP does.

BurningSky said:
Yeah, I assume Garm is behind all the Ulver stuff, but what other albums has he produced?

Fleurety - Department of Apocalyptic Affairs
Ayra Noir - Deep Tracts of Hell
Mayhem - wolfs lair abyss

as well as being involved in mastering

Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Dødheimsgard - satanic art/Monumental Possession

seems most production/mastering work other than ulvers was for black metal bands

i asssssuuuuume he also produced arcturus' albums before he left and possibly head control system's, possibly one or two of borknagaras albums

those are the ones ive found.

he doesnt have to be a producer, to squeeze the absolute life out of Opeth and help them fully realize their potential in the studio. period.

but hes not a noob behind the production desk anyway.

i'd love to see what dan could do in a reaaaaaaally good studio (most of his productions were on crappy equipment compared to what opeth can record in nowadays).

but he probably won't have the time.

BurningSky said:
I only specifically am talking about the acoustics. I love how Jens did everything else, and I'm not huge on the rest of the Still life production. But I love how the acoustics sound on that album (eg. folkish part in Godhead's, Face of melinda, Benighted). I'd be very happy if Jens continued to engineer for them, I just wonder if they could go back to that acoustic sound.

Ohh you meant acoustic *guitars*. I thought by acoustics you meant the sound in general.

I'd love to hear the new album sounding like Damnation, which for me, is by far the best Opeth production. It's so lush and everything seems to sound just how I like it. I think it'd suit Opeth's more progressive stance as well.

Jens. The mixing and tracking for this album was nothing short of fucking brilliant. It reminded me of the re-mastered Camel tracks because everything can be heard. Though I do realize this was a post post post production thing and this does only suit a few bands, especially in metal.

Anyways I think he mixed them with a bit of warmth or old school grit that was needed, not to much, just enough. Also he's a person that adapts to the band and doesn’t just try to give them his sound unlike Wilson. I think a person when doing this should empathize with the artist, allow themselves to be totally vulnerable to the music, try to understand where the artist is coming from and what they are trying to do.

I think that Steven Wilson is too much of an inward thinking person to provide superior audio services. He seems to want to put his sound on it musically and production wise.

I think this album was mixed far better then the rest even damnation. Damnation was too clean and modern. Though I do think the GR style of mix wouldn’t have suited the band in the 90s. But regarding GR, I cant see it being mixed any other way.

I think the Opeth have crafted their sound with these two producers, but I think that Joe Baresi would give a nice set of fresh ears to the next project from our favorite band. I can hear his production style complementing Opeth's sound, and expanding it to an even greater level.

Joe's work with TOOL on 10k days is simply masterful, and with Joe producing them, that may make Mike's wish of a TOOL / Opeth tour come to fruition.

MixGrafix said:
I think the Opeth have crafted their sound with these two producers, but I think that Joe Baresi would give a nice set of fresh ears to the next project from our favorite band. I can hear his production style complementing Opeth's sound, and expanding it to an even greater level.

Joe's work with TOOL on 10k days is simply masterful, and with Joe producing them, that may make Mike's wish of a TOOL / Opeth tour come to fruition.
I thought the production on 10,000 Days was just one more thing that made that album suck ass.

FRUGiHOYi said:
I thought the production on 10,000 Days was just one more thing that made that album suck ass.

I'm going to have to agree with this statement. All in all I still can't believe it took Tool 5 years to create 10,000 days. I've been a fan of them for many years, and I was truly let down by their latest album.

Lothlorien said:
I'm going to have to agree with this statement. All in all I still can't believe it took Tool 5 years to create 10,000 days. I've been a fan of them for many years, and I was truly let down by their latest album.
They didn't actually work on it for five years.

MixGrafix said:

holy shit you're a fucking moron. what the hell?!?!?

Lothlorien said:

It's not like they were writing and arranging material for 5 years. They took time off, maynard was in a perfect circle, and danny was doing other things. They jammed and composed for like 8 months and recorded a couple months. 10,000 days isn't as good as lateralus or aenima, but I still think it has merits of its own. The production is decent as well, but I don't want Baresi near the mixboard for Opeth.