Produce the next Opeth?

• Jens Bogren

Votes: 47 23.4%
  • Steven Wilson

Votes: 128 63.7%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 26 12.9%

• Total voters
I said Jens... engineering wize I guess if that's what he did on GR.... but it's just a personal preference as I'm a big fan of crisp clean production. I thought GR still sounded organic as opposed to manufactured if that makes sense... just super clear and I like that.

steven wilson. the fact that he can do so many different things and bring opeth's crazy ideas or thoughts to life is why he gets my vote. dont get me wrong, GR was very crisp and clean sounding, but i prefer the sound of bwp, deliverance, and damnation.

sorry for posting this twice.

Moonlapse said:
I don't think they'd be after the Still Life sound anymore. Mike's remarked a few times about how the drums were over-verbed. I'd imagine the rest of it wouldn't sit too well with them either, in light of the direction they've been going lately.

I think the reason Still Life may sound better to you is because of superior songwriting. Sure, with a modern and refined production approach some of that magic may get sucked out, but it would still be a great record.

I don't see Opeth going backwards.

I only specifically am talking about the acoustics. I love how Jens did everything else, and I'm not huge on the rest of the Still life production. But I love how the acoustics sound on that album (eg. folkish part in Godhead's, Face of melinda, Benighted). I'd be very happy if Jens continued to engineer for them, I just wonder if they could go back to that acoustic sound.

Moonlapse said:
Jens. He demonstrated that he understands Opeth have a soundworld of their own and he aptly represented all the genres and musical subsets they encompass in a productional sense. Keeping in mind his work with Opeth was more engineering than production related, I think that adds to the feeling that the material is pure 'Opeth'. Less outside influences and all that.

Steve Wilson has a tendency to leave behind traces of his own sound on material that he produces. Whilst that may be good in some circumstances, I do tend to prefer Opeth keeping strictly to their own devices, so to speak.
+1. wunderkind ftw

PeeWee1473 said:
That was damn helpful. I still don't know who he/she/it is.
Garmentist.jpg

Definitely has to be Steven Wilson. Just the way he interacts with the band members and listens to what they have to say is truly awesome!!!!
:Smokin:

why on earth would opeth hire a producer that "doesnt listen?". ftlog, steven wilson is famous for interfering and modifying band's sounds, not
"interacting with band members and listening to what they have to say".