New Opeth album!

I think Wilson mixing might mean they're going to be backing away from the metal and more into a rock sound. It kinda seems like it's been a long time coming. And Jens can definitely produce Opeth's lighter material well, he's been doing it for the past few albums. So I think this makes the most sense.
If they were going to keep doing what they've been doing they would probably have Jens mixing as Ermz said.
I like a lot of stuff that they do with both their metal and rock material so either way works for me. Will probably piss a lot of people off though if they do decide to back it down.

Nice but there seems a lot of low opinions on their recent work . I could not disagree more .....

If we consider that Mikael himself said that Opeth's new album would be in the direction of their song for 'god of war', the combination of Wilson-mixing and Bogrens-engineering is very logical.

Fredrik Akesson's solos added so much IMO, I could never tell the difference between Peter and Mike

That's weird, because always when I hear a solo by Peter, I get distracted and lose the Opeth vibe. I've always thought that they have a really different style and approach to playing guitar.

Solos by Mikael: Unique, melodical, creamy and always delivered with precise articulation and feeling.
Solos by Peter: Generic licks with a hasty feel

Just listen to the solo trade-off section on The Funeral Portrait. For me it's like this: 4:28 = ugh.... 4:43 = awwww yeeeaah! 4:57 = oh shit, not again ...and so on.

...but nevertheless I gotta agree that Fredriks solos are awesome!

Pretty much feel like Peter was a better soloist in tandem with Mike than Akesson is. The solos on Deliverance throughout the entire album are fucking amazing

I think Opeth's main problem nowadays is that when they find a good riff, they get stuck on it and repeat it for like 2 goddamn minutes, and by then your ability to judge the quality of the riff is lost to the ether because you're so goddamn sick of hearing it repeat.

I never, ever thought I'd see the day when Gareth complained about droning.

An Opeth thread is never complete without lots of bitching. Every record they've put out is killer. They are better than all of our bands combined to form Bruticus. People will still be jamming out to their music 10000 years from now in spaceships. Shut the fuck up.

stop-whining.jpg

I loved Watershed after I got over the initial new-album-new-guitarist hate that everyone had. It's really a quality album, though I did have some issues with the song structures and lack of the signature haunting Opeth instrumentals. I think Fredrik is a great addition, but I sure hope that Axenrot matured on this next album. He's a great drummer, absolutely amazing... but Lopez was from another planet.

Another complaint I had with it was that the songs constantly stayed in some sort of middle ground; none of the songs were terribly aggressive, and none of them were immaculately serene. I'm loving the 70's prog influence, but I don't want it to cloud what I already liked about Opeth. And thumbs up to Per, because I was iffy about him in the band during GR, but he really proved himself on Watershed.

Also... I didn't like Watershed's gimmicky endings/fade-outs. The songs that ended with people talking/laughing/etc. simply seemed like lazy song writing. Very anti-climactic and unsatisfying.

I think that any complaints with Watershed can be fully explained by listening to Scott Walker's "The Drift." Mikael was pretty big into that album while writing Watershed, and I think it really shows.

Definitely prepare yourself if you plan on listening to that album, though - the guy more or less writes music with the intent of it being difficult to listen to. I've won many bets over the number of songs my friends can comfortably sit through, and it's never more than like 3. :lol:

Solos by Mikael: Unique, melodical, creamy and always delivered with precise articulation and feeling.
Solos by Peter: Generic licks with a hasty feel

Right on, it was pretty much like this from the start until the end.

I don't feel Fredrik's style much either though, I'm afraid. The great thing about Mike was that he never seemed to consider himself a great lead player, so he would focus on the melodies that developed, and that's what made his solos truly great. Reminded me a lot of Latimer. Akesson just seems too comfortable with his ability, and comes up with solos I can best describe as 'run of the mill'.

Sometimes I wonder what kind of solos Per Nilson would do in Opeth.

An Opeth thread is never complete without lots of bitching. Every record they've put out is killer. They are better than all of our bands combined to form Bruticus. People will still be jamming out to their music 10000 years from now in spaceships. Shut the fuck up.

stop-whining.jpg

^ This FTW!

They should abandon Opeth and just focus on Bloodbath.

Semi-srsly

More on topic: Actually I think it's a cool idea to let Wilson mix the album. I'm sort of tired of Bogrens mixes from the last few years because they all sound too much alike :/

I just listened to BWP 2 times yesterday, and sorry but to me, even if Opeth are still doing better music than 90% of the other bands, Watershed is to BWP what Load is to Master of puppets.

expect less growling on this album... have you guys seen opeth in the last 1 1/2 years live?

go look up vids mikes growls have gotten really really bad. otoh his cleans are better than ever.. the one thing about watershed that bugged the most was the riff transitions.. they used to be much smoother on the older albums.