New OPETH "Heritage" album streaming online now!

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=140288664&m=140262406

Source: http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/09/12/start-your-week-with-a-full-album-stream-of-opeths-heritage/

:headbang:

I love it so far! No it's not a "br00tal" Opeth album, but it's still amazing songwriting. Definitely reminds me of the first time I heard 'Damnation'. 9/10 for me. :D

Edit: Just realized this was mixed by Steven Wilson and engineered by Jens Bogren (maybe mastered too?). Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Haha yeah, I wasn't online much yesterday so missed it when it was first released. I didn't see anyone else making a thread about it, so I did. :)

Hm. I'm not too keen on it so far but i'm not even half way through yet so i'll give it a chance before I call it shit :)

Totally digging it as well. Will love to rock this in the car on drives.

P.S. Will be watching this thread daily for the ensuing critiques just for the LoLz

Listening to it now... Oh boy... I think he went waaay to faaaar with the 70s prog rock thing... :erk:

You must not be that familiar with Mikael and all Opeth albums apparently. :lol: I don't see how this album differs much from Damnation honestly.

Album of the year!

I fucking LOVE it! Every second of it is pure genius.

Album of the year?!? What?!? Don't you think that award should go to the Reed/Tallica project? ;) rofl

Really digging this album, the flute part in Famine is incredible and evil as fvck. Whole album is just great, nice followup to Watershed.

Listening to it now... Oh boy... I think he went waaay to faaaar with the 70s prog rock thing... :erk:

While I'm not surprised, I still agree with this. Way too much prog for me.

The musicianship is splendid as always, though.

Too much prog? No such thing.

This music will last forever.

Album sounds awesome.

I don't see how this album differs much from Damnation honestly.
Really? They share some moments but this record is all in on the "In the Court of the Crimson King" worship. This one values period prog accuracy over emotional communication. That's neither a positive nor a negative but I think it is a fair observation.

Really? They share some moments but this record is all in on the "In the Court of the Crimson King" worship. This one values period prog accuracy over emotional communication. That's neither a positive nor a negative but I think it is a fair observation.

Sorry, I didn't really mean in the literal sense. My comment was aimed at those that don't like it because of there not being any heavy growling moments on it and hating it because of it. I mean it more in the musical progression of Opeth and what they stand for, and in terms of progressive music. I wasn't meaning it sounds like Damnation in any way... just the idea of the album in the way they executed it is similar, that's all.