New OPETH "Heritage" album streaming online now!

It may be genius but I don't care for it. I'll stick with the earlier stuff. Would hate to see them release Orchid or Morningrise 10 times, but I think this is where I get off.

Too much prog? There is no such thing. As for "Heritage", I'm loving it and agree with the sentiment that someone mentioned earlier about the comment about it being too "70's", if that's how they feel they are certainly entitled to that opinion, but as said before they are not really that familiar with Opeth's entire back catalog if one thinks that.

Not genius. It's average in my opinion. And I'm a MASSIVE 70's prog fan.

I do agree with the sentiment, that for the really disappointed fans.... You never really got Opeth's music in the first place if you're disappointed with this release

You never really got Opeth's music in the first place if you're disappointed with this release

Disagree, that's an overstatement. Opeth evolves (which you can see [hear] simply by comparing Orchid, Blackwater Park, Watershed and Heritage) and it's perfectly ok for someone to like early Opeth and dislike Heritage. And it certainly does not necessarily mean that they "never really got Opeth's music" :err:

That said, I'm keeping my fair judgement until I have heard it a couple more times. I'll only say that I think it's a bit of shame that they now sound very close to King Crimson and some other prog rock entities, after they have been pioneering their own sound (which actually inspired others) for quite some time. But one still hears the Opethian hooks in the songs, which is good :)

^ +1. Not loving a straight up early 70's prog record doesn't mean you didn't understand that was an influence all along. It doesn't even mean you don't love 70's prog. It just means you don't like this record as well as their previous releases which is completely reasonable.

Mmmmm... I like my old school prog on and off, and I generally listen to Opeth to hear a nice blend, this to me doesn't interest me practically at all. Damn it!

I think the album is pretty decent. Only listened twice through. It is different from their metal stuff, obviously and different from Damnation. Overall I am pleasantly surprised. I was worried that the album would be a disappointment.

This would be an awesome album if it were done while Mike was baked with Swano, and 0% of it was serious.

It would still be awesome if it was done with Swanö while baked and 100% of it was serious. Regardless, the album is a good change of pace. I would be bummed if they never wrote a metal album again, but there are some pretty sweet grooves and guitar parts on Heritage.

I didn't like it to be quite honest, I thought the structures threw me off repeatedly and it just sounded too weird.

I am a huge prog fan, I don't think it's too much prog...it just sounded weird to me.

I might end up liking it! Albums by your fave bands usually end up growing on ya, but for now I don't GET this album a single bit.

Hadi

Opeth is THE band that got me into death metal. Before Opeth, I never really liked metal with death growls.
It was that contrast between the heavy stuff and quieter sections, those dynamics, that really pulled me into the music.
I know a lot of people really love Damnation and while I think it's a good album, for me it's a 7/10 at best, because it just has the same dynamic all the way through.
Black Water Park is my 10/10 Opeth album. That perfect blend of heavy/quiet dynamics and top rate song writing.

The latest album isn't bad, but it just isn't great to me.
Lacks those dynamics that made me love Opeth's music and some of the song writing is a bit too haphazard and incoherent for my liking.
5.5/10 is the best I can give it

What the fuck, this is the most incoherent piece of shit ever written. Riffs dont sit well together, he wails like a girl in some parts (ffs wtf!) and shit, it just sounds horrible from an engineering perspective. After watching a clip on youtube, it became highly apparent it was what he was after, which is the most disappointing part of all - the 'back to basics' mentality people seem to be going through lately.

Lyrics like this:
"Feel the pain in your brain, insane"
:puke:

Not sure who I hate more, Opeth for bringing out the pain in my brain, insane, or the fanboy tards who say "omg best opeth evar". If we brought out the same album under a different name, it would get zero recognition and wouldn't be pissed on by a dog for the smelly turd that it is.

The Fuhrer is NOT happy.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paFSKfPaz30&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

What the fuck, this is the most incoherent piece of shit ever written. Riffs dont sit well together, he wails like a girl in some parts (ffs wtf!) and shit, it just sounds horrible from an engineering perspective. After watching a clip on youtube, it became highly apparent it was what he was after, which is the most disappointing part of all - the 'back to basics' mentality people seem to be going through lately.

Lyrics like this:
"Feel the pain in your brain, insane"
:puke:

Not sure who I hate more, Opeth for bringing out the pain in my brain, insane, or the fanboy tards who say "omg best opeth evar". If we brought out the same album under a different name, it would get zero recognition and wouldn't be pissed on by a dog for the smelly turd that it is.

The Fuhrer is NOT happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paFSKfPaz30&feature=player_embedded

lol.jpg

Think this album is a grower and from my expierence those are the albums that stand the test of time the best . Need to listen many more times but I already know I like it . Heritage adds nicely to all the previous Opeth efforts :headbang: