It's gonna have to be mind blowing or fuck it - Opeth

Heliotropic_Rose

in the soil beneath
Nov 17, 2004
Austin, Texas
That's right! Opeth will start the recording of their 10th album on the 31st of January 2010. The band has picked the legendary Atlantis studios (ex Metronome studios) in Stockholm and will once again work with Jens Bogren engineering. Mixing duties will be handled by Steven Wilson (Porcupine tree). Possible release worldwide in the fall of 2010, through Roadrunner records. The new material has been described by the band as being "good".

Good? Hopefully they're being modest. If it's the same formulaic Opeth then I'm not gonna bother with it, the last 3 albums were nothing special to me, had good moments, but Mike "not being predictable" is predicatable, a clean moment here, a riff with growls here, a "oh the song's over.....wait no its not" ending with an instrumental type piece, whatever, do something different homes

Honestly, nothing that came after Morningrise can hold my attention for more than 10 minutes. It's all bland and boring (imo!!!) although every album has at least 1 gem on it.
Orchid, and especially Morningrise rank among my favourite cd's ever released, although I can't label myself as an Opeth fan because of the later albums. Especially their cooperation with Wilson killed it for me.
Songs such as April Ethereal, Windowpane, The Drapery Falls, Deliverance,... are frikking epic though.

Morningrise is the pinnacle ...

of their boringness that is. Wilson on the other hand made them their best. The day they top BWP is the day pigs will fly.

Not counting on this being great, I only really listen to their older stuff (Morningrise and MAYH) these days if anything, although I guess occasionally I'll put on some Damnation or Deliverance if I'm feeling for it. I only say it might not be any good cause I thought the last one was fucking dull.

hahaha cerulean you and i have almost opposite taste in opeth (opinions of course :))

i would say morningrise was pretty weak, with their strongest stuff starting with MAYH

im not too excited, watershed didnt wow me, and describing the new material as "good" doesnt have me racing to the stores to buy it. but thats kind of like when mike says "its heavy", he says that about every album :lol:

but im a long time opeth fan so ill buy it :p, same with agalloch and metallica, ill keep buying it out of curiosity, but nothing will replace the classics

It's weird because BWP is definitely among their best...but pretty much everything else that SW helped with is boring to me...

Opeth to me is good but to me their melodic stuff is so sell out. I mean why are they trying to bre like Mretallica when they should have just done what they did with Damnation-- Stuck with pure death metal.

Everyone considers BWP their greatest effort. Harvest is a very melodic song and I doubt anyone called that a sellout track. Watershed and Ghost Reveries had a nice mix of Heavy and Clean shit. Damnation was a totally melodic record and no one I knew that liked Opeth complained that they were sellouts. No matter what kind of music they have released, it's mostly phenomenal.