New OPETH "Heritage" album streaming online now!

Maybe he's trolling us? I know Damnation was followed-up with Deliverance pretty close together, and while the next album may not be released that soon after, it wouldn't surprise me if he does release something absolutely fucking brutal to be a complete opposite of Heritage. If it doesn't turn out that way, well... that wouldn't surprise me either. lol

ubrsyntx said:
Maybe he's trolling us? I know Damnation was followed-up with Deliverance pretty close together, and while the next album may not be released that soon after, it wouldn't surprise me if he does release something absolutely fucking brutal to be a complete opposite of Heritage. If it doesn't turn out that way, well... that wouldn't surprise me either. lol

I don't think so, deliverance was never a secret, they were both recorded together, and I'm pretty sure Deliverance was released first, like 6 months earlier

If you watch the videos on the last page, he says it in his interview. He said he wrote two songs in the heavier style and he threw them out/deleted them completely from his harddrive. He also says it on the making-of documentary that comes with the deluxe edition of Heritage.

I thought he said, "in the style of portishead"

I think it's an excellent record. It's certainly beautiful, sonically. I really don't care if it bears any resemblance to prior releases, or metal. Who wrote and performed it, and what their prior releases sound like, does not matter.

Does it hold up as an independent piece of work? If you heard this, not knowing who played on it, would you like it? I would. So I do.

Loving the album, but I will say you have to listen to it on a good system, and you have to listen pretty fucking loud, or you'll miss a lot of the quieter stuff and subtle things going on. I'm not one to advocate the loudness wars, but a bit more limiting might have helped this record translate better on more modern systems.

Finally got around to listening to this all the way through and letting it soak in. I love it. Every Opeth record is different from the last. What I love about Opeth is the mood and atmosphere they convey with their music. Heritage is still creepy sounding. It's still different. There's plenty of movement, dynamics and acoustic guitars. The riffs are killer. The songs are complex.

Works for me.

Loving the album, but I will say you have to listen to it on a good system, and you have to listen pretty fucking loud, or you'll miss a lot of the quieter stuff and subtle things going on.

I highly suggest this as well - I sat in the driveway in my car, lights off, in the dark (brought out a few beers), the night I got it with it cranked quite loud and enjoyed it and all of it's sonic textures. While I like listening to things in my home studio, my car is my favorite place to listen to music to get a feel for it - I just shut out the outside world and listen.