Production Prediction

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
I've been thinking a lot about Opeth production lately. It's good, bad, good, bad.. But in general, it is always better than most. The production always seems to have the same "feel" but is noticeably different.

The upcoming album, "Ghost Reveries", which is not being produced by Steven Wilson and probably will be touched up by the band (Opeth) aswell is pretty much up in the air when it comes to production. What do ye think it will be like? It's being produced by Jens Bogren(?) who did the latest Bloodbath album..

From what I heard on TGC, the keyboards sounded mixed too high, and the kickdrum sounded electronic, maybe triggered.. :ill: Other than that, it's hard to tell from a crappy radio rip.

It'll be good, but there'll probably be a bunch of little quirks that immediately set people against it.

Like maybe they don't like the way the bass drum sounds on a certain track, or the keyboards seem a bit loud, etc. All those trivial little things. Sometimes I agree, but it usually has to be completely obnoxious for me to not like/appreciate it.

yeah, everyone always bitches about production, for any band/artist. until i began posting on here, prod. was never even part of my thought process when listening to music. like you said, as long as it's not unbearable, it's fine by me. like i feel kind of iffy about all old albums getting re-done, re-recorded, remastered, etc..i appreciate the way the artists originally laid it down, and how it originally sounded.
although i suppose their rebuttle may be that a certain albums sound isn't the way they intended it to be, and due to current technology, couldn't achieve the sound they really wanted. but..i dunno, sometimes re-mastering is good. overall, i'm not someone who cares about production much.

I'm hoping it'll sound more liquid this time around, with more lower-end frequencies being filled up. High frequencies have never been an issue with metal. Also more depth and wider soundstage is preferred for this album to convey a more "empty cathedral" sound, but without the echo of course. Most of these traits cannot be fully percieved with lossy audio, like mp3. Sorry, Trey. :erk:

Well.. as long as they can all be heard clearly and i'd prefer a bit more reverb in the sound than in Deliverance. I presume it'll take the sounds of Deliverance and Damnation but try and improve or develop them. A bit more of an echoey sound.. Deliverance's distortion was fairly lifeless and felt empty in comparison to previous efforts. I hope they make the bass fairly loud so that we can hear it like in Damnation, but not so loud than it muddies up the mix. I think if the synth/keys are similar in volume to damnation that they won't intrude too much.

I have the original Anthems of the Welkin at Dusk as well...I used to think "this record would be so awesome if the vocals were louder"...but I got used to it. I want to hear the remaster though.

i love anthems
i think i have the remaster (it has a slipcase, bonus tracks and a video)

sounds the same as the mp3s i was listening to before i bought it though- vocals distant and low

Dreadful said:
I have the original Anthems of the Welkin at Dusk as well...I used to think "this record would be so awesome if the vocals were louder"...but I got used to it. I want to hear the remaster though.

Yeh exactly.. The snare is so quiet in places.. and considering i'm a drummer i listen out to the drums a lot. I would like to hear it re-mastered.. but not totally re-recorded.. just a tweak some of the parts here and there.. it'd be appreciated lol.. but it's still my fave album of theirs.. has a certain charm.

Is it Anthem of.. or Anthems To.. because i thought it was Anthems to.. no biggy, just confused..

Oinkness said:
I've been thinking a lot about Opeth production lately. It's good, bad, good, bad.. But in general, it is always better than most. The production always seems to have the same "feel" but is noticeably different.

The upcoming album, "Ghost Reveries", which is not being produced by Steven Wilson and probably will be touched up by the band (Opeth) aswell is pretty much up in the air when it comes to production. What do ye think it will be like? It's being produced by Jens Bogren(?) who did the latest Bloodbath album..

From what I heard on TGC, the keyboards sounded mixed too high, and the kickdrum sounded electronic, maybe triggered.. :ill: Other than that, it's hard to tell from a crappy radio rip.

I like the alliteration in the title of this thread. Good work.

Man In Black said:
Anthems To The Welkin at Dusk

thought that's what it said on the cover.. but there was a lot of sites calling in Anthem of.. and a lot of people calling it that too.. thought it was down to me not being able to read the writing lol.

I can't identify what the kick sound is. The high-end doesn't sound consistent enough to represent a triggered sound. But judging who produced the album, I'm compelled to presume it is triggered, or at least sound-replaced with samples.