The production of Paradise Lost

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
What do you guys think of the production of Paradise Lost? I was rather surprised when I heard from several people that they were disappointed by the mixing on the disc. To me, the studio engineering is monstrous. Jens Bogren has mixed some great albums recently, including the last Opeth album and Katatonia's The Great Cold Distance, which is the finest Katatonia record sound-wise. He's rendered a terrific sonic assault for the new Symphony X as well, and while it's not my favourite album by them, from a production standpoint it eclipses their entire back catalog.

Cheers!

This album immediately rises high on my list of the best-sounding albums I've heard. I'm really impressed that it's not only produced by also engineered by MJR!

The sound quality is far better than The Odyssey, which I've always felt sounds sort of thin (well, that's not the best word, because it does sound heavy, but... something just isn't quite right).

The sound is so incredibly full - the production is easily the best on a Symphony X album to date.

The production is very nice. I'm not sure about most people here, but I'm atually quite disappointed with PL, sadly. I had such high hopes, and although it is an awesome release, I feel let-down. I find that most things I enjoyed most about SX previously aren't present on this album. Still a great effort overall, and I don't want to insult the band or anything... they're still ma fave!

How can you be let down by this album. It screams Symphony X in so many ways, and the band stated a year ago that this album was going to be much darker than their previous albums, so if you were expecting something else, its your own fault to be let down by it.
What would you have preferred ? An album that was similar to older Symphony X albums ? Then you would probably be posting about how you were let down because it was so similar too ' enter Symphony X album name here '. I know many people who are saying the same thing as you, and I just want to let you know at least the band are being original and doing new things instead of the same things over and over again. You should respect that.

I love it when a band's sound evolves. This is surely a demonstration of progression in music - striving to refine the signature sound, whilst being unafraid to alter it and add new influences.

How can you be let down by this album. It screams Symphony X in so many ways, and the band stated a year ago that this album was going to be much darker than their previous albums, so if you were expecting something else, its your own fault to be let down by it.
What would you have preferred ? An album that was similar to older Symphony X albums ? Then you would probably be posting about how you were let down because it was so similar too ' enter Symphony X album name here '. I know many people who are saying the same thing as you, and I just want to let you know at least the band are being original and doing new things instead of the same things over and over again. You should respect that.

The error in your overall message is that most of SX's previous albums (especially my fave 3: V, Ody, and Divine) are completely different from each other. I love when bands evolve and I was excited to hear a darker and heavier SX. This album, and although still awesome, doesn't have that SX feel to it. It has a lot less prog, and a lot of the songs are more straight-forward and less creative (musically, and song structure-wise) than their previous works. I thought they'd have that classic SX, full, textured sound, but with a darker mood overall, and some added heaviness, but it mainly just has that thrashy, in your face sound throughout the entire album. I Just wanted more variety... oh, and at least one moment of falsceto form Allen :p

This album immediately rises high on my list of the best-sounding albums I've heard. I'm really impressed that it's not only produced by also engineered by MJR!

The sound quality is far better than The Odyssey, which I've always felt sounds sort of thin (well, that's not the best word, because it does sound heavy, but... something just isn't quite right).

I agree 100%. The Odyssey sounds "dry" to me. With limited listening time to this point, my initial assessment is that this is the best produced SyX album to date. And I would have to say the production overall rates amongst the best I've ever heard. MJR is an absolute musical genius.

i love sx because of many many things, but an important one is that they've never done an album similar to the previous one, but without letting u know that they are SX. and that is just genious.

bottom line, perfect choice of an album, perfect sound production

and 4 the one that said that THE ODYSSEY had better sound production....
DUDE WHAT THE HELL'!?! TAKE THAT TAMPON OFF YOUR EARS!

It sounds great, but I find it ennerving that I listen to it on my cd-player and find a monstrous guitar wall (which is not bad at all) and almost can't hear the vocals anymore.

The same happens when I play it with mp3-player. But luckily it sounds awesome in the Bass Mode.

The error in your overall message is that most of SX's previous albums (especially my fave 3: V, Ody, and Divine) are completely different from each other. I love when bands evolve and I was excited to hear a darker and heavier SX. This album, and although still awesome, doesn't have that SX feel to it. It has a lot less prog, and a lot of the songs are more straight-forward and less creative (musically, and song structure-wise) than their previous works. I thought they'd have that classic SX, full, textured sound, but with a darker mood overall, and some added heaviness, but it mainly just has that thrashy, in your face sound throughout the entire album. I Just wanted more variety... oh, and at least one moment of falsceto form Allen :p

Ah, alright lol
I think the album is still very progressive, but in a subtle way instead of more obvious ways like in previous albums. I think that it is very Symphony Xish

^^^

Hahaha, :headbang:

Nah, I don't want people to get the wrong impression. I love PL, and I think it's a terrific album. It didn't reach my expectations, but they were set extremely high. It's still going to be my fave album of the year, and I'll be playing it on a regular basis for years to come. I was just expecting this to be my fave album by them, but as of right now, I still prefer V. Overall, it's a solid as fuck release, and I appreciate SX for creating it :)