Produce the next Opeth?

• Jens Bogren

Votes: 47 23.4%
  • Steven Wilson

Votes: 128 63.7%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 26 12.9%

• Total voters
Borgen would be good. If its not broke, dont fix it, i guess.

I think Mikael will contribute enough experimental influence himself. This combination with further keep the opeth sound intact and further expound upon Mikaels exploration of experimental progressive rock and things.

its hard to tell really.. i like steven wilson better just because he has proved himself with 3 solid opeth albums, but ghost reveries was amazing as well.. watershed tho, as great as its produced i just think with the new drummer and guitar player it was my least favorite opeth album so far, i like the little things lopez added in the past albums that axe will never do (he is still a insane drummer tho).. so really its undecided in my books because its not jens fault caues he didn;'t actually play the songs, but theres just something about watershed and its my least fav opeth album (still a GOOD album tho, just not GREAT like all there other ones)

just my 2 cents. saw opeth live this month, blew me away it was amazing even with the new line-up, but.. still will never be as good as with lopez (just my opinion tho, im a drummer and lopez just adds so much variation to the songs)

its hard to tell really.. i like steven wilson better just because he has proved himself with 3 solid opeth albums, but ghost reveries was amazing as well.. watershed tho, as great as its produced i just think with the new drummer and guitar player it was my least favorite opeth album so far, i like the little things lopez added in the past albums that axe will never do (he is still a insane drummer tho).. so really its undecided in my books because its not jens fault caues he didn;'t actually play the songs, but theres just something about watershed and its my least fav opeth album (still a GOOD album tho, just not GREAT like all there other ones)

What did Nordin do that Axe doesn't?

Nordin was, by far, my least favorite Opeth drummer. If it's Lopez and his little touches that make you love Opeth, you should have a problem with the first 2 albums as well.

I would like to second Garm/Kristoffer Rygg. The guy is very much a genius and like Mikael he's always gone his own way and done pretty much what he wants to do. I think the two of them could hit it off, not to mention the potential for some awesome guest vocals. That said, it'll never happen. Neither will a return to Dan Swano's days. But for now I think they're better off sticking to Jens. He doesn't seem to have as clear a presence in the sound as Steve has, and I think the two latest were great sounding records, though I'd love to hear them a tad rougher next time around. I always thought MAYH was a great album production wise, what are the odds of Fredrik Nordström making a comeback?

BTW, am I the only one going WTF? at Anders Fridén being co-producer of MAYH?

Opeth... they always sound themselves the most when not using an outside producer. Take Ghost Reveries and Still Life for example and compare them with Blackwater Park. First of all, I'm not a fan of Porcupine Tree, but Blackwater Park always reminds me of their music. And not in a good sense.

Opeth... they always sound themselves the most when not using an outside producer. Take Ghost Reveries and Still Life for example and compare them with Blackwater Park. First of all, I'm not a fan of Porcupine Tree, but Blackwater Park always reminds me of their music. And not in a good sense.

Well.. there could be a psychologic explanation to this since.. well :rolleyes:. Anyways.

I think Steven Wilson is incredibly talented at writing music. I wish him and Mikael did more work together.

And, for what it's worth, Porcupine Tree is my 2nd favorite band.

I personally love everything I've heard Jens Brogen work on so I'd love to see him twiddling the dials for Opeth again. Personally I found Steven Wilson's production on Opeth albums to be a bit 'stale', not as dynamic and lacking in the nice, full, warm sound that 'Ghost Reveries' and 'Watershed' both have. Not that any of the Wilson albums have bad production, but I just feel the Borgen albums have Opeth's best production. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I say Steven Wilson. I think Jens' production sounds cleaner, but less atmospheric and unique sounding. For example, the guitars may not be as full or fat sounding on BWP or Deliverance, but I think everything fit together to make a really cool sound with those three album SW did with them. Just my opinion though, I think whoever they pick to do it, it's going to come out just as well either way.