Dark Passion Play

There seem to be confusion with the meaning of terms instrumental and orchestral caused by the somewhat different meanig of the words in Finnish, German and English. The notorious "lost in translation"-syndrome, I presume...

Anyway, someone presented this question to the Nightwish-Shop and posted the answer two days ago on the Finnish side of Nw.com board:
>> What does the instrumental version on the DPP's 2nd CD mean? Is it only Anette and
>> Marco cut out or does it mean it is an orchestral version?

It is an instrumental version, meaning that [only] Anette's and Marco's vocal tracks are left out and all the instruments are re-mixed for proper balance.

Regards, Nightwish-Shop

Thanks Doc, finally clarification on that. So when they said instrumental, it's truly what they meant ;) I guess they're saving the orchestral versions for singles, which is cool...no sense in putting the same stuff on the singles when it's already on the digipak.

Hey Evol, glad to see you made it over here!
waveyfrood.gif

I'll say I'm impressed by Roadrunner because they're going to be releasing a special edition the same day as the album comes out! Usually they're jerks and will release a special edition like 5 months later ala Killswitch and Dragonforce's new albums, but there's going to be a special edition with an instrumental disc available on Oct. 2, so all the Annette haters can just listen to the awesomeness of Tuomas' writing! Good Call Roadrunner, it's also at the top of their new releases page:

http://roadrunnerrecords.com/newreleases/

It's the same with Nuclear Blast, Spinefarm and other labels. The digipack edition will come with an instrumental CD, including all the band and orchestra mixed without vocals. (isn't "instrumantal" just a pc version of the word "karaoke" :rolleyes: :p :lol: )

(isn't "instrumantal" just a pc version of the word "karaoke" :rolleyes: :p :lol: )
haha, it might as well be in this case :)

For those that might be interested, Roadrunner posted on their site a link to Newbury Comics, who is selling autographed copies of DPP (including the collector's edition). This is my first time ordering with them, but I feel safe because I know a guy who got the new Iced Earth signed album from them this week, and he's in Brazil, so they ship promptly :)

I miss tarja....

the new album was good, but its like tarja beeing replaced just isn't nightwish anymore...

i like how tarja has that opera like tone, which i loved very much, and to not have that anymore is disapointing...

anyone agree with me on this? I still like nightwish, but it feels like somethings missing..

Must admit, and I may get crucified for saying this, but I was never keen on Tarja and again, im not keen on the new vocalist either. The new album has quite a few good elements to it, but it sounds kinda pop music like.

Probably wondering why I am here, ill address that straight away, I do like the musical elements to Nightwish and have the discography, which I have enjoyed from day one. Still believe Marco should have become full time vocals.:)

Must admit, and I may get crucified for saying this, but I was never keen on Tarja and again, im not keen on the new vocalist either. The new album has quite a few good elements to it, but it sounds kinda pop music like.

Probably wondering why I am here, ill address that straight away, I do like the musical elements to Nightwish and have the discography, which I have enjoyed from day one. Still believe Marco should have become full time vocals.:)

There are fans that think that way (that Marco should be the full time vocalist), but while i love Marco, Nightwish has always been a band who's vibe, message and emotional under-pinnings has needed a female vocalist. It just wouldn't have been right with a male vocalist as the main.

There are fans that think that way (that Marco should be the full time vocalist), but while i love Marco, Nightwish has always been a band who's vibe, message and emotional under-pinnings has needed a female vocalist. It just wouldn't have been right with a male vocalist as the main.

Agreed, the line "Good wombs have born bad sons" in the Kinslayer would be rather lets say, wierd if Marco said it.

I was wondering..does anybody know why Bye Bye Beautiful won't be released commercialy in Finland? At least I heard so..

I could not have said it better myself.

I can't wait for this album..I've to admit I've already listened to it , but I want the high quality copy in my hand with lyrics and all :) . So far I've mixed feelings on a couple of songs honestly..But the rest of the album is very good :)

I was thinking about something concerning Anette and "new" Nightwish (actually I don't consider them really new..it's always the same band with a different vocalist).
Do you think Anette vocals could somehow influence the future direction of the band? I mean Tuomas will start composing songs which will fit her voice better or , on the contrary, Anette will adapt herself on Tuomas compositions? Personally, I vote for the second option
I've read comments about Anette "poppy" voice, people thinking the band choosed her because she's more "poppy" than Tarja (actually I don't really agree) ..will Tuomas start composing pop or AOR songs :lol: ? ;) And do you think Nightwish will reach a wider audience just because of Anette?

I can't wait for this album..I've to admit I've already listened to it , but I want the high quality copy in my hand with lyrics and all :) . So far I've mixed feelings on a couple of songs honestly..But the rest of the album is very good :)

I was thinking about something concerning Anette and "new" Nightwish (actually I don't consider them really new..it's always the same band with a different vocalist).
Do you think Anette vocals could somehow influence the future direction of the band? I mean Tuomas will start composing songs which will fit her voice better or , on the contrary, Anette will adapt herself on Tuomas compositions? Personally, I vote for the second option
I've read comments about Anette "poppy" voice, people thinking the band choosed her because she's more "poppy" than Tarja (actually I don't really agree) ..will Tuomas start composing pop or AOR songs :lol: ? ;) And do you think Nightwish will reach a wider audience just because of Anette?

Here in America, Nightwish will most assuredly reach a wider audience in a way that they never could with a classical vocalist like Tarja. America is just not a place where classical or operatic vocalists would ever become truly popular. From my vantage point, this has already proven itself. I see a lot of people, including many of the newer posters here, who are only now coming on board because of Anette, or they comment about how they like Anette better (and usually discovered Nightwish with Once).

I think the word "poppy" may be inaccurate in most cases, but the term "more accessible" surely fits (even if only by virtue of the quality of Anette's voice, though also more than that). Many of the songs they wrote for DPP were probably also made with an Anette-like vocalist in mind. Tuomas knew he did not want a Tarja-clone. But yes, it is a given that as everyone gets used to the particulars of the new band dynamic, the music will adjust to fit more precisely. This is *both* in terms of the songwriting to match her vocal ability, and her ability to understand what Tuomas wants.

Here in America, Nightwish will most assuredly reach a wider audience in a way that they never could with a classical vocalist like Tarja. America is just not a place where classical or operatic vocalists would ever become truly popular. From my vantage point, this has already proven itself. I see a lot of people, including many of the newer posters here, who are only now coming on board because of Anette, or they comment about how they like Anette better (and usually discovered Nightwish with Once).

I think the word "poppy" may be inaccurate in most cases, but the term "more accessible" surely fits (even if only by virtue of the quality of Anette's voice, though also more than that). Many of the songs they wrote for DPP were probably also made with an Anette-like vocalist in mind. Tuomas knew he did not want a Tarja-clone. But yes, it is a given that as everyone gets used to the particulars of the new band dynamic, the music will adjust to fit more precisely. This is *both* in terms of the songwriting to match her vocal ability, and her ability to understand what Tuomas wants.

I personally think that Tarja style on Once and Century Child was not really operatic..of course the "color" of her voice was still classical . I actually think Tarja's voice (combined with catchy songs of course) was one of the element which made NW more accessible. Of course it's the same with Anette, probably even more.

Personally I wouldn't like to think that Nightwish have choosen this kind of singer just because of reaching a wider audience in the USA . I like Anette , I think she's a good singer...but I wouldn't like to think they choosed her with this purpose in mind. Don't get me wrong , I don't think USA is the ultimate evil ;) ..I just don't like the thought of musicians doing musical choices (especially as important as this) with purpose of reaching wider audience. I understand this kind of compromise for singles but not for band members ;).

However it's not that I really think like this..it's just a nasty/cynical thought which hit my mind ;).