Dark Passion Play

Well, if you really want to get technical about it, the torrent was added exactly on 9/23 at 2:49pm my time and i posted on 9/23 at 7:13pm my time :) Give or take one hour if i have the hour set incorrectly by 1 over there (which sometimes happens). So not exactly 24 hours ;] But it's all petty semantics anyway. The important part is that it's out there and sounding good.

The FLAC was added today too, i may have to take another hit to my ratio and nab that as well hehe.

I can't believe you actually bothered to do the math :lol:

Kerrang! gets something right for a change!

I bought the album yesterday and I am impressed! What was everyone complaning about? The sound is more skullcrushing than ever before, the beauty even more beautiful, the orchestration even more grand...topped all off by Anette's angelic voice. Also, The Poet and The Pendulum as the internet geeks say "totally pwns!" Anette is the anti-Tarja! Anette the witch slayer! Anette kicks Tarja all over the place!

I have fallen in love with Nightwish all over again! Thank you Tuomas, Marco, Emppu, Jukka and Anette for releasing the album of the YEAR! :headbang:

Oh...I go back in this thread and hear how some say that Anette's voice is "poppy" Come on folks! Nightwish is about as bubble gum as a mouthful of broken razor blades. Same folks probably complaining about the new After Forever as well...

Jeeezzz...It's metal! ENJOY IT! STOP WHINING!

^I completely agree with you that Anette's voice doesn't sound poppy at all!

I have to admit it, I was quite anxiously awaiting how Nightwish would sound without Tarja, because the music is mindblowing, but she still gave it that "something extra". But now I finally got DPP and since the minute I heard it for the first time I have been absolutely addicted to it! I can't even imagine Tarja singing the songs on DPP because Anette's voice totally blew me away.

Sure, it's never going to be the same Nightwish ever again, which was to be expected.
Nightwish has changed, but I certainly don't think it has become less.

^I completely agree with you that Anette's voice doesn't sound poppy at all!

I have to admit it, I was quite anxiously awaiting how Nightwish would sound without Tarja, because the music is mindblowing, but she still gave it that "something extra". But now I finally got DPP and since the minute I heard it for the first time I have been absolutely addicted to it! I can't even imagine Tarja singing the songs on DPP because Anette's voice totally blew me away.

Sure, it's never going to be the same Nightwish ever again, which was to be expected.
Nightwish has changed, but I certainly don't think it has become less.

I like your way of thinking :)

Thx :)
I think you made some valid points yourself. I don't think DPP doesn't provide that same "Nightwish-feeling" anymore. Like you said; the orchestration is even more grand and such. To me it's like they just keep getting better and better. Of course if someone feels you can't get that same vibe without Tarja's operatic voice...well everyone has the right to his/her own opinion and if they feel like that, so be it.

www.nightwish.com
Nightwishs new Album "Dark Passion Play" entered the official album charts in Finland, Germany and Switzerland at #1. And the album had a very successful start in other countries as well:

# 1 Germany
# 1 Finland
# 1 Switzerland
# 4 Sweden
# 5 Austria
# 5 Netherlands
# 5 Greece
# 7 Norway
# 14 Italy
# 18 Denmark
# 25 UK
# 36 Belgium
# 42 Australia
# 50 Poland
# 62 Ireland

In addition to the double-platinum award in Finland, "Dark Passion Play" has been certified gold four times already:

Gold in Germany (more than 100.000 units sold)
Gold in Switzerland (more than 15.000 units sold)
Gold in Austria (more than 10.000 units sold)
Gold in Poland (more than 5.000 units sold)

Congratulations, Nightwish!

I suppose I've listened to DPP enough now to throw out an opinion. And I have to say at the start that I don't intend to offend anyone; I'm just trying to express how I feel about this album.

I feel a deep sense of loss. This is not the Nightwish I know and love. It's not even close. Honestly, I can't even begin to comprehend how some people are almost gushing about it. To each their own, of course; I'm just saying I don't get it.

I don't fault the band for booting Tarja, it had to be done. But despite all the talk of her voice being "just another instrument", it was really more than that, at least to me. There was something very special in the way she matched the music, as if the voice and the music combined into something greater than the sum of its parts. I'm not belittling Annette, she has a good voice; but Nightwish deserves and needs something better than simply "good". And while she does well on some songs or parts of songs, overall I feel she just doesn't cut it.

But it's not just about vocals. The music itself sounds less magical, less emotional, less passionate. Some of the songs I do like: Bye Bye Beautiful, Amaranth, Sahara. And to a somewhat lesser extent: Cadence of Her Last Breath, Poet and the Pendulum. These are my favorites of the album; but even they seem like a pale reflection of almost any song from the last several albums.

The rest of the songs are utterly drab and dull to me. It seems the second half of the album is a total write-off. A few of them are even downright bad -- The Islander, for instance. Eva and Meadows of Heaven have to be the two most boring ballads Nightwish has ever done. And that's very sad, since that has previously been one of their strong points; think of the power and beauty of Forever Yours, or Two for Tragedy, or Away -- none of that kind of soul-aching beauty is to be found here.

Marco is awesome as usual, but that can't compensate for everything else.

I will hold out hope that the next album might be better, with Annette on board at the beginning of the process, and songs more directly suited to her voice.

And remember, too, that this is all relative. If this was the first Nightwish album I ever heard, I'd probably be impressed by it. And it's certainly better than many albums from many other bands out there. But within the context of this band's history, it's definitely a turn for the worse.

What more can I say? It's painful to have to say these things about a band I have loved so much for so long. But let's face reality: ALL bands have their peak and then begin to decline; that's life, it's unavoidable. Sadly, the very first two bands that drew me into female-fronted metal, Nightwish and Lacuna Coil, have now apparently reached that point.

I don't fault the band for booting Tarja, it had to be done. But despite all the talk of her voice being "just another instrument", it was really more than that, at least to me. There was something very special in the way she matched the music, as if the voice and the music combined into something greater than the sum of its parts. I'm not belittling Annette, she has a good voice; but Nightwish deserves and needs something better than simply "good". And while she does well on some songs or parts of songs, overall I feel she just doesn't cut it.

Honestly, I feel like you have cracked open my skull and scooped out the contents of my brain.
LOL2.gif
That is exactly my sentiment, and I couldn't have said it better.

Granted, I STILL do not have the album (don't get on my case, I just haven't had a chance to go to the store!), but the songs I have heard make me feel that way. I know a lot of people here are so anti-Tarja these days that they almost forget those special things about her voice that---at one time---they also loved. That never changed for me, if anything, I was always more saddened that such a beautiful voice could be embodied by a person that supposedly did all these things.

But, to reiterate once again, I do not want to judge Anette until I'm holding the album in my hands. I must confess, however, that I have not been as apt to jump in the car and rush over to the store to buy the new Nightwish album like I always had before. I'm a little scared to hear something I'm almost sure I'll be disappointed in, but am hoping to be pleasantly surprised by.

It took exactly 28 days! :headbang:

24.10.2007 - "DPP" sells triple-platinum

Nightwish's new album "Dark Passion Play" has now sold over 90.000 units in Finland, which means triple-platinum! Congratulations!!!

I'm actually feeling much better about the album now that I've seen several of the songs live. I'm still not a big fan of Meadows of Heaven but the rest have grown on me. Poet and the Pendulum was great from the get-go. Whoever Brings the Night is rather quirky and the Islander is...different, at least. I swear I thought my player had somehow managed to bring up Blind Guardian ;p

Some of the lyrics (Bye Bye Beautiful) seem a lot more simplistic than poetic, but damn do they drive a point home ^_~

Heh, after hearing Anette live...I appreciate her album performance more ^_~ she went way overboard on stylistic dancing at the concerts but she's a little more sparing on the album.

This is still an extremely different album so now I'm finding it hard to really compare. I have to take it as something seperate. Like trying to compare AFF and Once. Two different animals.

Niiice. So how many copies has Once sold in Finland?
The official figures at www.ifpi.fi state 102 612 units sold, but Once figures were updated last time almost two years ago. I'd say it's somewhere between 110k - 120k today.

Also, it took seven months and three weeks for Once to sell triple platinum in Finland, now DPP did it just in four weeks. Nw will have several sold-out concerts at big venues (capacity 2500 - 8000) in Finland in December, which will boost the CD sales for Christmas for sure.

OK, so I have rarely ever retracted my statements in the history of OSA, but I think it's time.

I have been in posession of DPP for nearly 2 weeks, and I have to be honest, it's all I've listened to the entire time (except for a few times when I gave the new HIM album a spin or two).

"The Poet and the Pendulum": This exceeded any expectations I had going into this, knowing what the song was, knowing that it was an epic. It seems like every Nightwish epic tops the one before. When I first heard "Ghost Love Score", I didn't think it was possible to ever top "Beauty of the Beast". Then once I became a believer, I found it hard to imagine that anything could EVER topple "Ghost Love Score", especially when there is no more Tarja. But by God, Tuomas has done it! This is hands-down my favorite song on the album and if they perform it live on Sunday I could die a happy girl.

"Bye Bye Beautiful": Even from hearing the low-quality promos, I had a feeling this would be a favorite for me. Hearing the "Finnish"-ed version only makes this more kick-ass. This is a song where when I first heard it, it haunted my mind for months. I could not wait to finally hear it and not hear some guy talking over it: "You are listening to the new Nightwish album, Dark Passion Play."

"Amaranth": An OK song, but I have to be honest, I'm sick to death of it already. I'll be glad to hear it live on Sunday so whenever I listen to the album from here on out, I can just skip over it. The "reaching, searching" part that Anette does is just too similar to Sharon den Adel's "angry" voice for my liking (i.e., such as songs like "Caged").

"Cadence of Her Last Breath": A lot of fans seem to give this a lot of grief, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. It's a great rockin' tune.

"Master Passion Greed": WOW! Makes "Slaying the Dreamer" look like a love song. Knowing who the song is about and the details of those incidents only make the angst of the song only more heartfelt.

"Eva": The first song of the new album I had ever heard. When I first heard it, I mourned the loss of Tarja and wondered what the hell Tuomas heard in Anette that was so great. Then, like a fungus, it slowly grew on me. Her vocals really move me on this track, though. They are sweet and sincere.

"Sahara": My second-favorite song on the album. I just love the whole vibe of it. The orchestration on this track is flawless.

"Whoever Brings the Night": A song that definitely runs hot and cold with me. It's quirky and different, and the chorus sticks in your head like cement glue. I love the orchestration part towards the middle, it makes me think of the Isengard scenes in the LOTR movies. I don't think it's a bad song, but it's not one of the tracks on the album that I am entirely crazy about at this time.

"For the Heart I Once Had": When I heard this title, I expected it to be a ballad in the nature of something like "Ocean Soul". So to hear something so upbeat, it was almost a disappointment. This is another one of those tracks that I am on the fence about. The chorus is catchy and I don't easily forget it after I have listened to it, and for the most part it's a good song, and I do feel it growing on me with more listens.

"The Islander": Sorry to anyone who likes this song, but this has got to be the most boring song Nightwish has ever written. It's got a good vibe, but somehow, a band like Within Temptation could better pull it off. I have heard it was the highlight of the live shows, though, so I'm holding out to see that for myself to see if my opinion of the song changes.

"Last of the Wilds": A f*cking awesome instrumental that seems to pick up where "Moondance" left off.

"7 Days to the Wolves": Another of my least-favorite songs, just one of those tunes that is not doing anything for me as of yet. The best way I can describe this song is this is the closest to imagining what Nightwish might have sounded like if Cristina from Lacuna Coil had been Tarja's replacement. Especially in the first verse, her voice reminds me a lot of Cristina.

"Meadows of Heaven": This song could have been among the many of the heart-wrenching ballads that Nightwish is famous for, but to me, it falls flat. Anette's vocals are nice, but rather boring. The verse about "Yuletide without flight", I imagine Tarja singing that, and I know that if she had sang something like that, I would cry like a child upon hearing it. But Anette does not seem to invoke those same feelings within me with her voice yet.

Overall opinion: I was wary about how Nightwish was going to make an album without Tarja, but damn, they have! Many of the tunes, Anette fits right in and while I'll always feel Tarja's loss, there are some moments on the album where I find myself totally embracing the new era and accepting the direction that Nightwish is now going in. I have always been a person to believe that music is about moving forward and not looking back, so at this point, to whine and complain that this is not Tarja anymore, I feel is really self-serving. I think all of us know that the old era of Nightwish is over, and it ended on the final night of the Once tour. If anything, DPP shows us that this is a new era, and we can either go along for the ride or stay left behind at Tarja station.

There are some areas where Anette can improve, but I think a lot of people forget that these songs were written in full before she even joined the band, so some awkward moments are to be expected. And as far as the old songs go, I am still a little nervous about hearing them live.

But as a whole, the album is a solid piece of work and Tuomas' compositions are as brilliant as ever. I think I finally understand now why he chose Anette. Many times when I was listening to the album, I found myself reminded of other singers on the femme-metal scene. "7 Days" made me think of Cristina. "Amaranth" made me think of Sharon. "Eva" made me think of Sabine. A couple moments in some songs made me think of Charlotte from Delain. Not to say that Anette isn't unique in her own way, but I think by choosing her, it was almost Tuomas way of saying that he could have taken any of these ladies on the scene in as the replacement, and make it work. I have to take my hat off to him for that. I was wrong to doubt his songwriting genius, seeing as how I'd never been disappointed by it in the past. Well, I guess it wasn't so much his songwriting I was doubting as much as his judgment. Which I guess in essence, is almost the same thing.

Technically, all my statements about missing Tarja's voice do still stand, but to say that I don't "feel" Anette, that is not entirely true anymore. And I'm glad. I wouldn't resign myself to being an Anetteholic, but I was never a Tarjaholic, so I guess that's fair enough. I've come to learn that when a band changes lineup, I tend to go where the songwriter goes; as I've said in past posts, I find it easier to get used to a different voice than a different band and songwriting approach altogether. And as someone at Nightwish forum pointed out, with Tarja's solo career, if we so wish, we have two good musical projects to look forward to instead of one.
tu.gif

In closing, bring on November 4th!
horns.gif

Then once I became a believer, I found it hard to imagine that anything could EVER topple "Ghost Love Score", especially when there is no more Tarja. But by God, Tuomas has done it!

As far as I'm concerned, the only way anyone could say that is if they've gotten amnesia and completely forgotten what "Ghost Love Score" sounds like. :p

A good song-by-song review. I was glad when you first told me that you were giving the new album a thumbs up. For a while there i was concerned that your appreciation for Nightwish would no longer go forward. Admittedly, for a short while, even i was having doubts about my own. But Tuomas and the gang have indeed pulled us through. The tour absolutely helped in this regard.

My personal review, as you know, is fairly similar to yours. The only real differences are that i have since come to see the light about The Islander, and although my enthusiasm for 7 Days To The Wolves isn't as high as it was based on the small sample that was first released, i still really like the song (i also still think it sounds like a Tarot song with a female vocalist added in.. but that makes sense given that Marco co-wrote it).

I remember when i first heard Eva, i could swear that i knew who the vocalist was, but i couldn't place it. Later, i would come to say that it was because Anette sounded a bit like everyone. Now a days, while you could still kind of say that, she also sounds like no one in particular to me, and the added time and experience with her voice has made it stand out and become instantly recognizable for me. So for me personally, i don't hear much in the way of Cristina or Sabine or anyone else.. except perhaps for very fleeting moments at best.