Dark Passion Play

As i type this, i am listening to the Music Choice Metal channel and they are playing Bye Bye Beautiful. It's nice to see that they have Nightwish in rotation now (even if most, though not all of their pictures show Tarja instead of Anette.. as do some of their band facts).

Score one for Dark Passion Play exposure.

Yeah, Music Choice has always been known for playing great music. If it weren't for them I would never have been exposed to Stratovarius, and therefore, never been exposed to Finnish metal. Perish the thought!

Sigh...I miss Music Choice. I don't know who told DirecTV that us metalheads would like XM radio better, but clearly we were not let in on the voting process. :rolleyes:

@ Zellie. It's not that I don't like aggressive songs but there's something about this song that just doesn't gel for me. Still one song out of a whole album, I can't complain too much.

As for not supporting bands with member who act like eejits I totally do that. I know I shouldn't if I like something I should just get it and be damned but it really does affect my buying decisions. The way I see it there's more than enough bands who are decent talented people who I want to support with my hard earned money and time going to gigs. Why should I waste my time on someone who irritates the hell out of me?

I kinda do that.... but I can't resist the music ^_~ So if there's a band I think has members that are obnoxious, I'll download instead of buy it. If there's a band that I really highly respect--even if I don't like hte music as much, I'll buy it to support them. Like, I like Divinity Destroyed but they've got some growing pains... I still buy their album because they are just great, hilarious, nice guys and they do charity concerts all the time and they work damn hard.

I also try to buy carefully... if an artist is a billionaire, I really see no point in them having more money to add to a third mansion :p there is something that just feels morally wrong about people having even one mansion when there are others in this world who are starving. Some comfort is one thing, but that's just going beyond unnecessary. Meanwhile, an artist that might be not nearly as good...but who is making music and holding down a daytime job, I will be pretty quick to buy their stuff.

And then there are some bands that I just can't resist having the hard copy on. Nightwish and Stevie Nicks pretty much.

Ah, I love Nightwish... Obviously they sound different with Anette than they did with Tarja. With Tarja, what I really liked was the old stuff, like Oceanborn and Angels Fall First. Her operatic voice was amazing. I didn't like what Tarja did with her voice when she tried to stop sounding operatic (like on the remake of Sleeping Sun)--the opera was what I wanted to hear from her. Dark Passion Play is good, still no opera, but I don't expect to hear opera from Nightwish anymore. Anette has a very good voice for what it is.

Does anyone else think Anette sounds a little like Tanja from Lullacry? No, not their voices, just the techniques they do with their voices. I can't explain it... I guess the gritty sound they have sometimes. You know what I mean? I like Anette better than Tanja though, much better.

Does anyone else think Anette sounds a little like Tanja from Lullacry? No, not their voices, just the techniques they do with their voices. I can't explain it... I guess the gritty sound they have sometimes. You know what I mean? I like Anette better than Tanja though, much better.

Maybe a hair of technique here and there if i try to listen for it. But i don't really see it. I've actually thought that Tanja sounds somewhat like Heather Thompson from Tapping The Vein (though more in sound than technique).

But yeah Anette is much better than Tanja. If for no other reason than Lullacry had one good album if they were lucky (i liked a fair bit of Crucify My Heart, even if i wouldn't exactly call it high musical art). While Nightwish with Anette also only has one album under their belt, i expect more good things are yet to come.

I don't like Anette, but I don't like the fucking overabundance of the orchestral shit either. DPP and Once are by far their weakest albums IMO. When I listen to their older works I feel like I'm listening to a much more mature band.

I wouldn't say the new girl's voice is amazing, it sounds in tune but quite Avril Lavrine what ever her name is. Tarja was good and made the band theatrical which I like but that is just me.

I think the new album is alright, but not the best. Annete's voice just doesn't seem to make the cut for Nightwish. I miss Tarja, because her voice was so unique and made Nightwish who they are. This new girl is something you can find anywhere. If I wanted to listen to her, I could just pop in an Evanescence CD, and get the same results.
And has anyone noticed, but they released a version of Dark Passion Play with two CDs, one with vocals and one without? Don't you think there's a reason behind that? *coughnewsingersuckscough*

That's not the first time I've heard that, but what a lot of people don't know was that there had been an intent to release an instrumental version of Once, the same as there had been with DPP, but for some reason it never materialized.

And another reason there may have been an instrumental version of DPP released was because the songs were fully written before Anette joined the band, and perhaps the band felt the fans would like to hear what those sounded like. If you have heard any of the demos from DPP, you would know that all the vocals are done by Marco.

Anyway, welcome to the board.
waveyfrood.gif

Some say Tarja's voice made Nightwish what they are, other's say that Tuomas' songwriting makes the band special. There are an enlightened bunch that say it is a combination of the two, or the band as a whole. Me, i lean heavily towards saying "chiefly Tuomas, but the band as a whole".

From a *musical* standpoint, i don't imagine there are many fans out there (out of those who knew of/enjoyed Nightwish before DPP) who would say they prefer Anette over Tarja, but most of us appreciate that Anette can sing. I admit, at first she sounded a bit generic to me too, but as i became more familiar with her style, i no longer thought that way, and really, let's be honest here: Many people would have never been satisfied with *any* replacement. Not a soprano (which they would assuredly call a "pale imitation"); not even a choir of angels sent down from some heaven. So really, there would have been simply no way to satisfy some fans. Also, all my experiences thus far suggests that she is a fair sight friendlier and more sincere than Tarja (at least concerning regions that weren't immediate cash cows, like North America), and that goes quite a long way. But i don't want to get into a "which one is better" debate. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. We can leave it at that.

Suggesting that Nightwish with Anette is no better than Evanescence is completely dismissing the songwriting ability of Tuomas and the rest. Not to mention that it comes dangerously close to marking you as a troll. We generally try not to bring up Evanescence anyway, those conversations go nowhere, fast (and have been beaten well into the ground anyway). Regardless, most of us will readily agree that DPP is hardly their best album. But it's still a good album, one that i am more than glad to have.

LOL Tramz, I was going to point out also that it's an insult to compare Anette to Amy Lee, considering that Anette *can* sing, whether you like her voice or not. And Amy Lee...well, we all know what I think of that caterwauling she does that she tries to pass off as a singing voice. :lol:

Btw Corrupted, I like your "no emos" button. I doubt I could buy that at Hot Topic, eh? ;)

Actually. whether you like them or not, as far as technique goes (coming from someone who's been in choir, women's ensamble, musicals, and voice lessons).... Amy Lee does one up Anette. But Amy is a mezzo belter which is kind of comparing apples to oranges even when comparing her to Tarja (ie the singing she does would kill Tarja's vocal cords, but mezzo and even altos are built a little differently).

Amy doesn't use as much choral technique as Tarja but she does use a lot and it's just not true to say she doesn't know technique. Amy's been in freaking All-State...as far as the choir world goes that is nothing to scoff at. I certainly couldn't make All-State ^_~ (although my friend did, yay!)

Anette doesn't sing with much classical technique at all. She does quite a few things that are HUGE no-no's (particularly how she slides through notes and pinches all of her notes--great for getting the lyrics across, not so good for the sound and throat, you get a much less pure sound compared to Amy and Tarja who both open up quite a bit -- the more vowel you have, the more pure sound you can get...as a result, if you hear opera singers in interviews their words tend to sound like they're yawning everything because they've trained their throats to be so open). She's on pitch for the most part but she is pop style all over the place.

Yeah one thing that initially made me raise an eyebrow towards Anette is when she would declare in interviews that she had no formal training and felt that up and coming vocalists needed no training. I completely disagreed, and i felt it was also a bit of a slap in the face to all of the vocalists that work so hard to perfect their instrument. Isn't it just like someone who has no training to say something like that?

Regardless of how much raw talent one may or may not have, everyone can benefit from education and refinement to make the most of what they have. Even if their chosen style of singing is "pop", there is still something to learn.

But i admit, while i can pick out some subtlety, i do not have Zellie's ear for vocal detail.

I'll have to take Zellie's word as far as technical aspects go, but I know what is pleasing to my own ear, and Amy Lee's voice is not. :lol:

Rofl! As i read that, my eyes hadn't quite focused. I thought it said something like "..but i know what is pissing into my ear, and it's Amy Lee's voice."

What a declaration of quality THAT would have made ;]