Dark Passion Play

I have to say this is the first of their albums that I have ever had to let grow on me, although I only got into NW about 3 months before Once came out so it was the only one that I ever got to hear right as it was released.

Needless to say it has defiantly grown after the third or forth spin, some of the songs just feel flat to me they lack dynamic and are a little generic nice but nothing to write home about especially Amaranth, 7 days to the Wolves and Meadows of Heaven.

My top three right now would have to be Poet and the Pendulum, Bye Bye Beautiful and Sahara

After living with and listening to Dark Passion Play for over a month now...I have something to say. It is the most significant release in the band's history. Nightwish has went from being the dynamic backing band of an operatic vocalist to being a complete band unit. I honestly believe that the band had gone as far at they could go with Tarja. She would not fit on this album at all. While the operatic style was a perfect fit on the lion's share of their classic songs, there are many songs (especially on Century Child and Once) where you can hear her shortcomings as a pure metal vocalist. Case in point: "Romanticide"...I totally think Annette would own with that song. Tarja's voice did not work at all for their more aggressive material. "Slaying the Dreamer" is another great example.

On this album Nightwish has also broken free of the reigns of being an opera metal band...they have allowed Marco to step up more and the Marco/Annette one-two punch may even be better than the Tarja/Marco partnership. "The Islander" is an amazing piece (Boring? yeah right!).

On this album Nightwish has also broken free of the reigns of being an opera metal band...they have allowed Marco to step up more and the Marco/Annette one-two punch may even be better than the Tarja/Marco partnership. "The Islander" is an amazing piece (Boring? yeah right!).

You think "The Islander" is amazing on the CD? Son, you have not heard squat. "The Islander" live is a religious experience. It is without question the finest piece of music I have EVER heard live.

Mel--I'm with you. I was really disapointed with DPP at first because every other NW album has been an instant hit with me. Once had to take a few listens to absorb, but it was still so obviously a masterpiece. After hearing the songs live, I'm not missing the complexity as much as with the first few listens. I'm appreciating what is there rather than missing what is not. And some songs don't need dueling flutes and guitar solos in order to be good.

Snowy-backing back for Tarja?! I can't even concieve of that.

I do agree that some of the later songs fit Anette better than Tarja. I really love Anette on the Once songs. But Romanticide? No way in hell! And Slaying the Dreamer? Oh man, the power and energy in the meaning of those songs is hit on the head in the best of ways with the power of an operatic vocalist.

"The Islander" is an amazing piece (Boring? yeah right!).

Sorry, but that's just the way I feel. It's not a bad song musically, but I tend to think that the vibe of it would better fit a band like Within Temptation. Not really something for Nightwish.

But, in fairness, I was listening to that song earlier, and I think I "get it" a little more. I wonder if sometimes it wasn't constructed as an "example" of how evolved their initial attempt at "acoustic mood music" would sound if they had carried on with that. There had been many posts over the last several months about how Tuomas was returning to his original vision by getting a singer like Anette, and "The Islander" makes me think that this could be true. It has very much the vibe of the earlier songs, the acoustics and the soft male vocals with the sweet, high female vocals.

Just a thought.

Mel--I'm with you. I was really disapointed with DPP at first because every other NW album has been an instant hit with me. Once had to take a few listens to absorb, but it was still so obviously a masterpiece. After hearing the songs live, I'm not missing the complexity as much as with the first few listens. I'm appreciating what is there rather than missing what is not. And some songs don't need dueling flutes and guitar solos in order to be good.

Snowy-backing back for Tarja?! I can't even concieve of that.

I do agree that some of the later songs fit Anette better than Tarja. I really love Anette on the Once songs. But Romanticide? No way in hell! And Slaying the Dreamer? Oh man, the power and energy in the meaning of those songs is hit on the head in the best of ways with the power of an operatic vocalist.

OHHHHHHHKKKKK....As much as I down Tarja for her attitude (well documented), I still think she is the greatest operatic metal vocalist ever. When the opera ends though, she shows her shortcomings. The part I call in question in "Romanticide" is the ending part with Marco and Tarja trading off...her vocal line is God awful...I always thought so. She is not aggressive enough.

I'm also not saying wipe the old songs either...I'm just suggesting some songs that I think would fit Anette perfectly! As a matter of fact I'd love to hear her do some renditions of "Once Upon a Troubador" or other old acoustic songs.

I like most of the album and considering I was definitely a bit didgy when they first announced Anette and revealed 'Eva' to the world she's really won me over. It helps that she comes across as a nice decent sort as well.

I can't nominate a favourite song but '7Days to the Wolves' and 'The Poet and the Pendulum' are pretty brilliant. The spoken word bits did creep me out the first time I heard it tho'. I was listening to the album at night fo the first time so I could concentrate on the details and I have to admit I was actually scared. (Yes, I am a wuss , I know!)

There's only one track I personally don't like and that is 'Master Passion Greed' I can't explain what it is I don't like but I actually have to skip it because it irritates me that much. As for writing a song about Marcelo, why even give that man the oxygen of publicity?

Is it just me but the lyrics to 'Whoever brings the night' are a bit weird? If anyone's got any idea what is going on, run it by me please. What saves this from the skip button is the melody is strangely addictive and it's nice and heavy.

This might be a case for St Enigma methinks....

backing band, not backing back... ^_~

I always thought she had just the right amount of aggression given the power that singing operatically pushes and that Anette's lighter voice would sound weak and thus not aggressive enough.

Heh, The Islander just makes me think of every Blind Guardian song ever. Seriously, when it came on my playlist for the first time I was like 'wtf...the only songs on here are DPP songs, why is Blind Guardian playing?!'

I'd like to point out something rather obvious that seems to be overlooked.

As far as I can recall, none of you older OSA folks back at the old forum EVER made any reference to this "backing band for Tarja" opinion. Strange how that was never mentioned until after she was gone.

Back then, you rightly recognized the greatness of the entire band and worshiped the ground they walked on, going so far as to create a fan club for them (and it wasn't called the Fan Club for Tarja and her Backing Band, was it?).

But oh, let's forget all that, they weren't a real band back then after all -- no matter that we showered them with adulation. But now they're a real band. Right?

It's pretty funny, actually.

And I would think Tuomas would be very offended at this idea. At least he should be.

First time i read someone referencing them as a backing band, i had a similar reaction to you Storm. I had said to myself that they were never a backing band. Not by a long shot. I still maintain that sentiment. The only thing we have to consider is that, for better or worse, for MANY fans in this world, it really was the Cult of Tarja. That isn't to say that everyone who prefers Tarja is obsessed with her, but there certainly were a lot of people who viewed her as the most important element (however right or wrong that impression may be).

I would say that when people call them "a real band" now, perhaps what they mean is that there is no one person that can flat out dictate the way things will be or hold the band hostage because of their whims. There is more equality of power in the band, and that's how a band should be.

@seraph7:
Thanks for asking me - but unfortunately I'm not able to do miracles in this case. :p See, the lyrics by Tuomas have always more than one level and interpretations of them are subject to build from each interpreting person's own experiences, values and views of the world in which s/he lives his/her life.

If you wish, you can easily see his lyrics as frameworks where to build your own meaningful story to finish it. Which I think is the main reason why Nightwish's songs are so fascinating and appeal to so many different type of people around the world despite their actual cultural background.

IMO, I see "Whoever Brings The Night" as an essay dealing with the powers of the darker forms of humans' sexual lust and random desire, the kind we all propably have as an inbuilt factor in our minds. But as I said, the real meanig of the lyrics has intentionally left to be filled in by the listener.

@The Stormbird:
I think that for us who knew Nightwish from the very beginning, it never was "Tarja & The Boys", na d the image did not change after she was fired from the band. We knew how she was asked to join the band, how her vocals influenced Tuomas and Emppu moving from the original idea of atmospheric acoustic mood music into metal and we really appreciate her as one of the pioneering vocalists in female fronted metal.
On stage she had the role of main vocalist and did it perfect. The fact that she lived in different places due her studies and thus couldn't take part of the band's rehearsals wasn't a secret and the band worked well in that way from the very beginnig because she had moved out from Kitee before the band was formed. The reasons that lead to her dismissal had nothing to do with her as an artist, it was the issue with her husband/manager trying to take over the command of the whole band through Tarja.

Most of newer fans in North America have known the band only after "Once" was released there in October 2004, and they don't know the band's previous history at all, so for them it is easier to build an image of "Tarja & The Boys" based on the incidents that happened after Christmas 2004.

@Tramz
Those who saw Tarja as the only or the most important part of Nightwish are people who have learned the pattern from the maistream pop scene where the "star" is everything they ever are let to see. No pics of musicians on the CD booklets, maybe their names in small print. The big machinery is well hidden and most people are not even able to realize it's existence. For those not previously familiar to rock and especially metal it is maybe hard to understand that the "unit" to deal with shall not be the single frontperson, but the whole band.

In all honesty and respect, we should appreciate and cherish both the Tarja era and the new Anette era of Nightwish equally based on the awesome music rather than anything else.

Seraph - Master, Passion, Greed has taken some time to grow on me...and it still feels weird but I do like angry songs!

I can totally see how P&P would be creepy at night XDD It definitely has an edge to it--especially those speaking parts. And oh man, the breaking and screaming? Eeeeek!

Yeah, you are correct. It has been foolish for me to carry on a year-plus long grudge against Tarja Turunen. Her amazing voice was what brought me to the band in the first place (as well as the whirlwind musical arrangements of Oceanborn). It was stupid and childish.

I think what no one realizes though is how much emphasis I place on integrity of the members of the band when it comes to bands I enjoy. There are many groups who I have stopped listening to because of the attitudes of certain members (i.e. Guns and Roses, Metallica, Blue Oyster Cult, Rage Against The Machine, System of A Down).

That's just me revealing my stupid side.