Dark Passion Play

On News today, Feb 22. 2008

Nightwish's CD Dark Passion Play which was released less than 5 months ago on Sept 26. 2007 has sold 4X Platinum in their home country Finland!

Congratulations Nightwish!! :headbang:

Ugh. Dark Passion Play lost out on being Metalstorm's Power Metal Album of the Year (debates on what classification it deserves notwithstanding) by ONE vote. People voted Kamelot - Ghost Opera as number 1 with 263 votes to Dark Passion Play's 262. The people who voted Ghost Opera over DPP need to lay off the drugs :p Hell, imho, even Helloween and Dark Moor's albums were better than Ghost Opera, but that's neither here nor there. I figured DPP would surely win.

Kamelot was advertising for their fans to go vote on the MS awards for Ghost Opera. I love Kamelot to death, but it was a cheap move - DPP really deserved to win, and would have without the outside interference.

I mean, I even got a message from them on Myspace to go vote for Ghost Opera.

Ugh. Dark Passion Play lost out on being Metalstorm's Power Metal Album of the Year (debates on what classification it deserves notwithstanding) by ONE vote. People voted Kamelot - Ghost Opera as number 1 with 263 votes to Dark Passion Play's 262. The people who voted Ghost Opera over DPP need to lay off the drugs :p Hell, imho, even Helloween and Dark Moor's albums were better than Ghost Opera, but that's neither here nor there. I figured DPP would surely win.

Had we known about this, we could have rallied the troops. But, even though it is a "cheap" way of winning, advertising to vote in competitions is widely done in all genres...even the Grammy's. However, Kamelot's win is also a win for American power metal as well, as our scene gets very little respect elswhere. So, there is a silver lining that the US power metal scene is making a comeback.

Getting back on topic. I've never been a fan of Nightwish. My buddy just bought me a copy of DDP and said listen to it. I still can't get into their older stuff. But, I really like this album. I think it is a very solid album.

Cool, welcome aboard the Nightwish train :) As for the Metalstorm Awards, I have no problem with Kamelot winning as they are a class, quality band...and even though Ghost Opera disappointed some fans, I thought it was great. That power metal category was insane...6 of the nominated albums (Nightwish, Kamelot, Iced Earth, Dark Moor, Gamma Ray, Helloween) were in my top 10 from last year...tough choice! I voted for the third place finisher, Framing Armageddon :D

I love DPP a lot. I like it just as much as the old Nightwish material. I enjoy both singers Anette and Tarja equally for the great work they've done!:kickass:
My favorite song on it is probably Amaranth.

No problem. If I'd done a better search job, I would've put it in here myself.

That's OK, what are mods for?
blink2.gif

I like this album a lot but i'm thinking they'll do better with the next one as they must know Anette's vocal range pretty well by now and will know what songs will best fit her style

I miss Tarja so much but I really think Anette does a good job.
I really don't think she does well on alot of their older stuff though, when I went to their gig in March I was really surprised that she was doing any. Nice to see her give it a good effort though I guess.
Dark Passion Play is amazing. I love "The poet and the pendulum" definitely the best song on it, I don't think there's a song on it I don't love tbh, it's really good, I was worried it'd be the beginning of a rapid downfall.
Top five on it imo;
TPATP.
Bye bye beautiful.
Whoever brings the night.
Seven days to the wolves.
For the heart I once had.

I love last of the wilds more and more everytime I hear it though. It's kinda folky (although nobody agrees with me on that haha).

I was first exposed to the New Nightwish, before I found out about the "old nightwish."

After hearing Tarja's voice, Annete's voice just doesn't sound right anymore when I listen to their new songs.

I now kind of see what some people on youtube mean when they say that the new nightwish sounds kind of "pop-ish."

Tarja just had this mysterious, sensual and dark effect to her voice that fit with the music.

Annette has a great voice too, but the older songs by Tarja are just easier to get into?

Don't get me wrong..I like the songs like Amaranth and Bye Bye beautiful, but does it compare to songs like Kinslayer, nemo and wanderlust? No.