Dark Tranquility Vs In Flames

Seeing that I can only tolerate In Flames up to Clayman, I'll have to go with Dark Tranquillity.

If we're talking strictly last decade releases, Dark Tranquillity by a landslide. Not that I don't like In Flames, but DT's stuff still remains thicker, richer and with far more depth and longevity.

I genuinely love both. As for vocalists, I must say I do prefer Mikael. His lyrics are also a little deeper and really force you to think. Amazing; he is my inspiration for writing

Why are we even having this discussion? I mean, I love you all, sincerely. But this is the stupidest fucking discussion ever. A more valid comparison would be DT vs. Amon Amarth or other similar death metal band. Or In Flames vs. some American shit metal. The only reason to even think about DT and In Flames in the same thought is that they came out of the same scene over 15 years ago, playing a genre which neither is particularly faithful to anymore.

Why are we even having this discussion? I mean, I love you all, sincerely. But this is the stupidest fucking discussion ever. A more valid comparison would be DT vs. Amon Amarth or other similar death metal band. Or In Flames vs. some American shit metal. The only reason to even think about DT and In Flames in the same thought is that they came out of the same scene over 15 years ago, playing a genre which neither is particularly faithful to anymore.

The comparison might've been more valid when this thread was started over 10 years ago.

... then again, perhaps not.

-Villain

IF's earlier albums are brilliant – right up there with DT's. Due to IF's shift in style tho, I don’t think you can really compare the two bands as if they were in the same genre anymore. I think it would make more sense to compare the two based on their individual albums.

For me:
The Gallery (9.9/10) > The Jester Race (9.7/10)> Projector (9.4/10) > Colony (9.2/10)> Whoracle and pretty much everything else from DT >

I enjoy listening to all of DT's albums. They are so versatile and complex. I think its a true testament to their musical talent that two decades later, they are still putting out incredible albums. Their style is constantly changing and evolving, and yet they still stay true to the “Gothenburg sound”, and above all, their fans. Regardless of their varying style, DT has earned a solid, and virtually unwavering fan base. Very rare to hear a DT fan completely knocking any of their work.

IF on the other hand, is a near polar opposite in terms of fan support. It seems that with each new release, the new fans pour in as the old ones depart. I have heard more disdain and resentment from IF fans than pretty much any other band I follow. and who can blame them??? I mean if DT came out with an album like A Sense of Purpose, I wouldn't hesitate to vocalize my concerns. Listening to a song like “Disconnected” really left me in disbelief of what IF has become. The song structure and lyrics are so shallow and lacking in substance that I almost feel embarrassed for them. I cant even enjoy the occasional catchy rhythmical guitar riff when its followed by the CHORUS of “i feel like shit, but at least I feel something”. Someone should slap the sh*t out of Anders for that one!

So ya, in conclusion, DT takes the Cake for the Gallery, but IF's Jester Race is still better than the majority of DT's albums. As for their post Clayman work, I consider new IF to be a different band all together (maybe that's my way of coping) so I refuse to take that into consideration when comparing the two.