Dark Tranquillity live

Killermik

...Of Melancholy Burning
Nov 15, 2004
France
Hello,

I have been willing to post this topic for maybe many month. So please do not take it as something against the band but more something for the band if I happen not to be the only one to agree on what I am writing :

I have seen Dark Tranquillity 5 times in the year after the release of Character. And even if i will still go and see them as often as I can, I have found that there was something wrong almost always when i saw them :

- An awfull sound : It's maybe because I love their music too much (for those who do not know me, I do not love any other band more than Dark Tranquillity), but I have been pleased with the sound quality only once (Evolution Festival in Italy - 2005) and I wore musician protection (for ears) during every show (the kind of protection which do not make the sound worse).
I even tryed to put them off to see if it was better but no : I had to guess the melodies on almost every songs (i also tried different spots in the venues). Which lead me to the second part

- Never headlining : I read the thing on myspace : "buy CDs". But I have seen many bands which are way less known than Dark Tranquillity headlining in the same venues (going to smaller venues wouldnt be the solution? with cheaper price and maybe more people willing to come for them! not to "suffer" from them (I had someone telling me once : oh damn, Dark Tranquillity played really too long, how boring...- whereas I was frustrated the show lasted not enough time)). This is maybe why their sound was always worse than the first parts. The main problem with the "no headlining" thing is that they play less than an headlining band which is less cool for the fans and make the setlist more repetitive.

Actually it's really the first point which bothers me and I wondered if the people here who attend many show have the same feeling than me that Dark Tranquillity sound is often poor live...

- An awfull sound : It's maybe because I love their music too much (for those who do not know me, I do not love any other band more than Dark Tranquillity), but I have been pleased with the sound quality only once (Evolution Festival in Italy - 2005) and I wore musician protection (for ears) during every show (the kind of protection which do not make the sound worse).
I even tryed to put them off to see if it was better but no : I had to guess the melodies on almost every songs (i also tried different spots in the venues). Which lead me to the second part
Certain venues may have different sound qualities: some are worse than others.
- Never headlining : I read the thing on myspace : "buy CDs". But I have seen many bands which are way less known than Dark Tranquillity headlining in the same venues (going to smaller venues wouldnt be the solution? with cheaper price and maybe more people willing to come for them! not to "suffer" from them (I had someone telling me once : oh damn, Dark Tranquillity played really too long, how boring...- whereas I was frustrated the show lasted not enough time)). This is maybe why their sound was always worse than the first parts. The main problem with the "no headlining" thing is that they play less than an headlining band which is less cool for the fans and make the setlist more repetitive.
They've headline before. Just remember, good things come to those who wait.
Actually it's really the first point which bothers me and I wondered if the people here who attend many show have the same feeling than me that Dark Tranquillity sound is often poor live...
I use regular foam earplugs and they work great. I do understand some venues may sound not as optimal as they should. As for my own personal experience, most of the time, dt's sound were above my expectations.

- being an opening band means you won't get a goo d sound quality. An opening band CANNOT sound better than the headliner, engineers don't have enough time to set up the board or aren't getting there at all (as coming from BFMV on Rob Zombie tour).

- some dt is better than no dt at all - fucking appreciate that already.

As for my own personal experience, most of the time, dt's sound were above my expectations.

DT sounded really great this time around, I didn't have to "guess" anything.

And earplugs are for pussies.

Also, it may be possible that some people have tone or pitch deafness. For example, if there's too much low bass sound in a speech (or surrounding noises), it's really difficult for me to make out people's sentences due to the low bass interference.

If you go to as many concerts as I have, you'll start wearing them too.

Indeed.

I'm implying that if you go to 1-2 concerts a months and wear ear-plugs... umm, you know. Other than that wearing the plugs is so professional and cool, you know.

After years I found out I can't hear stupid people.

//the next post gona be "What did you say? I can't hear you!!", har-har-har, very funnie!!1 :heh:

Every time I saw DT the audio was great. Actually the one I didn't appreciate much due to bass problems was the evolution 2005 gig.. but at new age club the sound is just amazing.. every single band sounds well, it's a fucking mighty club!

DT rarely headlines, that's right. But I guess this is all part of the "dt is an underrated band" theory. I just care about going to dt gigs, no matter if they headline or not.

I saw DT twice, in the Graspop festival and in Antwerp. The first one, the sound was ok, but not very great either. For the second one, the sound was quite bad, although they were headlining this time.
What was funny, is that half the crowd left after chimaira, and i had myDT shirt on, so some people asked me, "mm you came for DT, re they any good? i never checked their music out..."

I am just trying to know if I am the only one or not to think this way. Because the feeling i had on most of the shows is that DT played the best they could but not as good as "they should" (you have 50 minutes, go on stage, play, exit - ok this is not that which makes the sound but it's a behaviour (I am not blaming them for that) which is probably linked to the little attention paid to their sound)

I am just trying to know if I am the only one or not to think this way. Because the feeling i had on most of the shows is that DT played the best they could but not as good as "they should" (you have 50 minutes, go on stage, play, exit - ok this is not that which makes the sound but it's a behaviour (I am not blaming them for that) which is probably linked to the little attention paid to their sound)

So you didn't particularly liked DT's live performance. It happens. You're probably not the only one, in case this answers your question: I'm sure at every show by any band someone leaves unsatisfied. As most have told you, though, it's not a generalized or widespread feeling that the sound quality is lacking at every show. What other comments or observations you're trying to obtain, I cannot fathom.

Well DT headlined when they came to CR hahaha :p :lol: .

I have been to 85% of all metal gigs that have been done here, and I still have to say it: DT was the best. The very fucking best :headbang: .

I'm still amazed how they accomplished such a great song, for the venue was definetly not made for metal konzerts :erk: .

They had awesome sound, and you can tell that even by looking/hearing the low-quality videos that are on their my-space (and mine :p ).

I wish they'd come again though :cry: (actually I'm starting to do some underground propaganda so they can bring them :) , so maybe they'll come, who knows... who knows... . :cry: ).

So you didn't particularly liked DT's live performance. It happens. You're probably not the only one, in case this answers your question: I'm sure at every show by any band someone leaves unsatisfied. As most have told you, though, it's not a generalized or widespread feeling that the sound quality is lacking at every show. What other comments or observations you're trying to obtain, I cannot fathom.

I loved DT's performance at Evolution Fest. Which is 1 time out of the 5 i saw them. They acted the same way the 5 times so I am not blaming them for doing a poor live performance : they are very great live.
I just had the feeling not a lot of attention is paid to their sound.

Maybe we just have bad luck in France with DT sound :( (that was one of the two solutions : 1) DT has a poor sound live 2) DT has a poor sound in France - at least during the last tours). Hope it wont be this way next time they come.