Dark Tranquillity owns In Flames now

metal17 said:
Just because In Flames and Dark Tranquillity are from the same country and town or whatever and came into being around the same time in the same genre people always compare them etc...I'm suprised the topic starter didn't mention Soilwork as well.
Lets see. Same continent. Same country. Same City. Anders Friden started off as Dark Tranquillity's Vocalist. Mikael Stanne Recorded voice for inflames on LS ( i think ). Jivarp recorded drums for inflames on an album. Niklas Sundin wrote inflames' Lyrics in Jester's Race. Both bands first records featured very similar style. Both bands released minicds after their first full lenght. Both bands got increasingly popular with their second full lenght albums that were both considered very original and amazing material, both bands showed improvement and progression during their respectively third full lenghts. Both bands showed radically new directions during their fourth full lenghts. Both bands changed their logo ditching the stereotypical metal fonts for common, readable fonts and this change was done close in both's band history ( 1 album of difference me thinks ).

Oh yea we must be fucking insane to compare this bands they have nothing in common!

EDIT: I forgot to mention both bands experimented lineup changes between the first and second full lenghts.

Misanthrope said:
Niklas Sundin wrote inflames' Lyrics in Jester's Race.
he took part in writing those, and mostly made translations for the lyrics on whoracle and colony. that was just to be overly accurate and anal: i agree with your point, mis.

Well, dunno about 20 exactly, but I can certainly confirm that Stanne did do the vocals and all the lyrics on Lunar Strain and Sundin participated in writing or translating the lyrics on all songs on The Jester Race and Whoracle (with the exception of Episode 666) and three songs on Colony.

Also, I could mention the many tours the two bands have done together, the fact that both of them recorded their "golden era" (for a lack of better word) albums at Studio Fredman, the piece of trivia that Fridén did some vocals on Hedon, and that Sundin did the covers for IF's Tokyo Showdown and Reroute to Remain (dunno about STYE, I haven't seen it yet).

Finally, here are their record-pairs:

Skydancer - Lunar Strain

Of Chaos and Eternal Night - Subterranean

The Gallery - The Jester Race

Enter Suicidal Angels - Black-Ash Inheritance

The Mind's I - Whoracle

Projector - Colony

Haven - Clayman

Damage Done - Reroute to Remain

It is very easy for me to see, why they are constantly compared. It is getting pretty boring, though, as since 1997 there has been no contest, IMHO.

-Villain

ok, instead of blabbing on about which band is better then the other, i'm just going to say that i'm a BIG fan of both DT & IF & i love the progression the two bands have taken with their music & all this talk about about who is better is rubbish!!! think about it this way, if both bands music are similar in sound (which i personally disagree to some extent) then how can people dislike one over the other if they are the same???

Everyones making the same points now...

I must say it seems like a matter of fact to me that no one band can be argued better than another. To a pop fan the shittin spice girls are the best band ever. I wont argue bout this but I will say I think DT's progression has been golden and IMHO couldn't of been better, in flames progression has dissapointed me:cry:.

Did inflames really close there forum because people were displaying hate? they should have just took it as constructive criticism! poor guys.

It can and WILL be argued who is the fact because we are not asking random people in the street: We are in the Dark Tranquillity forum asking fans of both bands within a comunity devoted to metal. It is very easy to see which band has evolved and progressed and which band has pretty much went out of its way to insult their fans because they happen to disagree with them and their new "direction" even knowing those fans gave them the chance to get their fucking name out, just so they could do a ( miserable and failed ) atempt at commercial music AND get offended if anyone called it what it is.

@Headpost:

This compare is irrelevant. They both evolved, not in parallel, they just wanted to play their damn music no matter metal or what. Since when do we have to be criticized by such narrowminded judges whose only critera is metal metal metal just because they both started playing 'death metal' they are bound to the same very scene with judgemental fans that have the big arrogance to know what metal has to be in order to be good in the so-called universal standards.

Comparing 2004's DT and 2004's In Flames is like comparing 1990's Katatonia and A Perfect Circle.

It's not because DT play your favourite style that they have to be better than anyone else. They chose to stick to their original style, it's what makes them simply -what-they-are-. If In Flames played your favourite shit before and now changed for something else, it makes them what they are and the one having a problem now is actually: You. You who's free to listen whatever you want especially when you have a problem with 60% of all music styles.

Siren said:
which one? *ashamed for her ignorance*

Subterranean, however, he only did a couple of the tracks. Daniel Erlandsson did the rest of 'em, a faaaaaaaar more superior drummer imho.

@ Legende, couldn't of said it better myself :worship:

by the way, i'm going to see In Flames play in london this saturday so il let U ALL know how good they are live (because lets face it, @ the end of the day, its not the style of music that matters but how they can play the music to an audience that determins how good a band is :headbang: (just thought i'd share that with you all :D )

Morei said:
@ Legende, couldn't of said it better myself :worship:

by the way, i'm going to see In Flames play in london this saturday so il let U ALL know how good they are live (because lets face it, @ the end of the day, its not the style of music that matters but how they can play the music to an audience that determins how good a band is :headbang: (just thought i'd share that with you all :D )

Are there still tickets left?, i've been thinking about going, and now one of my friends has just got into them, (no, not because of STYE), and it turns out i'm doing bugger all saturday, so i might go and drag him along..

:loco:

@Morei and @ all: In Flames ARE a good live-band, I think there isn't much discussion. I've seen them 3 times (Bochum 2000, Wacken Open Air 2001 and Wacken Open Air 2003) and 2 of these gigs (the first and third) were really amazing. In 2001, the band seemed not to have any fun on stage, all seemed like "We're doing our job and get home as fast as possible"...

And to the new songs played live: as I already posted in another thread, I really hated RTR first. That's why I didn't go see them live on the RTR tour. But when I got into the album, I was really looking forward to see IF in Wacken 2003, and it was a great gig! At that time, I still didn't like "Cloud Connected", but it was the first song: this keyboard-sound started, went on about 2 minutes or so, and then the band entered the stage and blew everything away... It (Cloud Connected played live) was an amazing experience and - until today - whenever I listen to this song, I just listen to what was going on in Wacken...

By the way: has anyone here a bootleg or so of Cloud Connected played live? With this long-lasting keyboard-intro?

Morei said:
yep, tickets still avaliable 4 the gig. if you go to www.aloud.com & search 4 in flames in the search box @ the top or click on the kerrang section & then click in flames in the "happening this week" section

:D thanks for the info, i may well do that.

Ya never know , you might well walk past me and never realise while you're there. Shouldn't be hard to spot..

I'll be the one looking scruffy, clad in black.

oh..

wait..

:tickled: