In Flames or Dark Tranquillity ?

:D Another IF fan weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I hope you have your knowledge handy, these people are crazy and will murder the first in flames fan they see, ive been spared because im in a band with about 5 of em but the others......eh......:err:

nice analysis phyre, though I tend to disagree on clayman being bad, it's not really that bad. but it kinda sticks with what has been on colony and merely takes away some more metal, for some more neo-metal influences.

same on Haven, which is pretty neo imho, but still is much deeper than IF's latest offering (as it has always been...)

btw. for me it's DT for sure, IF are nice, cool for background music at cyberpunk rpg sessions and while driving, but they lack the depth and drama of DT.

Yeah, interesting analysis, phyre...
And I agree with Fried. I couldn't say the same thing with better words, really. Oh, well, anyway, the 'depth' difference is not only manifested in the melodies, but also in the lyrics, in my opinion. And I find that, even if Projector had some really splendid lyrics, and that I'm still very impressed by those of 'Insanity's Crescendo', Haven has Stanne's best lyrics. Think about 'The Same', or 'FABRIC'... and obviously not only them.

I decided 3 days after I bought Haven that Not Build To Last was gonna be my personal hymn.

I remember the first DT song I ever heard was Zodyjackal Light, which blow me away because of the breaks, the drama created by the structure, the raging vocals, the sublime desperation and the immense hunger carrying through, totally won me over...

and when a few days later I first heard The Gallery and Punish My Heaven picked me up and tore my spirit right out of my earthbound body and into that utter fire of expression... I knew I had found a new band that I would love forever....

but I'm getting off topic...

actually I just wanted to agree on Haven having Stanne's best lyrics so far :)

Originally posted by Final_Vision
:D Another IF fan weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I hope you have your knowledge handy, these people are crazy and will murder the first in flames fan they see, ive been spared because im in a band with about 5 of em but the others......eh......:err:

I'm not very worried. I just happen to prefer In Flames to Dark Tranquility. I guess that may be considered blasphemy on this board, but I'm not worried if people wind up disliking me for something so silly.

Dark Tranquillity or In Flames?

It's the choice between heaven and hell ;)

Seriously though, I prefer DT. I admit I don't have any full In Flames albums (I bought the Tokyo Showdown a while back as a sort of "best of collection", but that doesn't count), but I do have mp3's from across their career. I think where In Flames loses out is variety. They've found their style, and obviously enjoy it, but after releasing so many albums with the same formula, they've gone stale. DT is far more innovative and brave, whereas IF is stuck in their style. IF has changed, I admit that, but to the worse. ever since Jester Race, the songwriting has become more mundane and dull, and less Gothenburg. The fact that the songs on the albums sound the same from beginning to end doesn't help much either.

IF is a great band, and alot of fun to listen to, but they don't have the same longevity and depth as DT, IF is not a band that I can imagine listening to ten years from now, still finding new nuances and feelings from the songs. Not to mention the lyrics, which in all honestly are just hideous...

Originally posted by Ormir
Dark Tranquillity or In Flames?

It's the choice between heaven and hell ;)

Hehe.

I think where In Flames loses out is variety. They've found their style, and obviously enjoy it, but after releasing so many albums with the same formula, they've gone stale. DT is far more innovative and brave, whereas IF is stuck in their style. IF has changed, I admit that, but to the worse. ever since Jester Race, the songwriting has become more mundane and dull, and less Gothenburg. The fact that the songs on the albums sound the same from beginning to end doesn't help much either.

I own nearly all their CDs and I think they actually are pretty varied. In fact, the reason people dislike In Flames is because their style is so unstable from album to album. I admit that they definitely messed up with Clayman. They took their style from Colony to an extreme with that one, but I believe the one thing In Flames definitely didn't do is get "stuck in their style". And personally, I think In Flames are pretty brave for completely changing their vocals, riffs, song structure, lyrics, etc. Even if the end result sucks (clayman).

IF is a great band, and alot of fun to listen to, but they don't have the same longevity and depth as DT, IF is not a band that I can imagine listening to ten years from now, still finding new nuances and feelings from the songs. Not to mention the lyrics, which in all honestly are just hideous...

True, they're definitely not that in depth. The Jester Race, and maybe Whoracle, but nothing else is really deep. However, I have my share of depth from bands like Dark Tranquility, Opeth, Dimmu Borgir, etc. I love In Flames because they're outright heavy. I even enjoy Clayman because it's an hour of catchy, mindless head banging fun. I prefer them to Dark tranquility because IMO they just generally sound better.

Originally posted by Belial

I love In Flames because they're outright heavy. I even enjoy Clayman because it's an hour of catchy, mindless head banging fun. I prefer them to Dark tranquility because IMO they just generally sound better.

Exactly, its not the deepest music ive ever heard but fuck its easy to listen to for me, its nice and heavy, great melodies. Easy listen, and fuck Only for the Weak is fun to headbang to damnit!

As for In Flames 'getting stuck in a style' i think its bullshit, Lunar Strain was original, especially for its time. Subteranean was original. TJR is a fucking classic and was damn original. Whoracle broke the mold and had some more folkish elements, deeper lyrics than TJR (thanks to Niklas the man), Colony introduced clean vox and more 'happy' melodies like on Embody the Invisible, they kept the brutallity with songs like Coerced Coexistence and The New Word. They became a bit darker and brooding like on the title track. Clayman showed simpler song structures/riffs. Less solos and an overall half-hearted effort, In Flames is capable of much more.