Dark Tranquillity Song Survivor - round 28

Choose the least great song

• Total voters

Villain

Doctor BenQuillity
May 7, 2001
Finland
Visit site
Last round was probably the closest and most remarkable in the long history (pun intended) of the Survivor: Shadow Duet was the last Skydancer-song to go and Monochromatic Stains was the last Damage Done-song to go, so now only songs from the following four albums remain: The Gallery (4), The Mind's I (2), Projector (4) and Haven (1). Remember that neither Character nor any songs exclusive to Exposures took ever part in the Survivor.

The rules are the same as before:

Choose from the above list the one song you think isn't quite good enough to go to the next round - and provide us with your reasonings if you can. And no cheating.

Have fun!

-Villain

Agreed. I find it a bit ridiculous that such a relatively mediocre song as On Your Time is still up there while so many true masterpieces (like Shadow Duet) have already been voted out.

Once we'll get rid of On Your Time, however, it will become very hard for me decide which song to vote against.

-Villain

all i hear is "whine my favourite song is gone, i can't understand why the vote doesn't have the result that i want it to have".

To A Bitter Halt.

i've voted for hedon about four thousand times and i'm sticking to it.

honestly, none of my top five or so DT songs is still in the list, so my motivation is a bit on the downside. i think i hope the sun fired blanks to be the winner.

two of my favourite songs are still in the list (on your time and lethe), but i don't expect either to actually win. i find the fact that to a bitter halt is still there a little incongruous, even though i do like the song. some of the others are either entirely predictable or just overrated, in my opinion. neither punish my heaven nor hedon really deserve to be considered the best. i have hopes for nether novas and the emptiness from which i fed, namely that the band would realize how awesome they really are and do something about it... like, i don't know play one of them live or at least apologize. ;)

Hedon's my least liked DT song. The rest are actually my favorites. Easy choice.

Blitzkrieg Pajo said:
all i hear is "whine my favourite song is gone, i can't understand why the vote doesn't have the result that i want it to have".

You misunderstand. The real question (the whining aside) is: "why do people have such huge differences in taste when choosing between the songs of one single band?"

I mean, it would be no surprise to see people having big arguments if there were songs from several different bands representing various styles of music. But what we have here instead is a collection of songs from one band we all (well, most of us at least) love and respect.

And yet, we see people voting very differently, many of us disliking the very same songs some others love. Why? This question has haunted me for years (and yes, it has been discussed on this forum before) and I still can't figure out a concrete answer to it. There really doesn't seem to be a solid explanation why, for example, Rahvin likes On Your Time more than To a Bitter Halt and I like To a Bitter Halt more than On Your Time - while we both worship songs like Nether Novas!

If On Your Time, To a Bitter Halt and Nether Novas were songs from three different bands, the simple explanation would be: "you just don't like the style of this band". If they were songs from three different albums by the same band, the simple explanation would be: "you just don't like the style of this album". But these songs are not: they are songs from the same band, from the same album, made in a very similar style.

It is not a matter of the actual quality of the songs (there are those cases, but this example is clearly not one of them). I know both Rahvin and I have listened to these songs dozens of times, in various situations and various states of minds, and we both have reconsidered our opinions through the years - ie. these are not just some sudden likes or dislikes, but opinions that have slowly developed somewhere in our musically stimulated brains. Thus, it is fair to say these opinions of ours are firmly based on what can be called our tastes.

And yet, while our tastes seem so different at times, sometimes they are just so alike. Why? The real answer is most likely just something that can't be explained without getting deep into the workings of human brains, but the logically-minded me would like to have a simple, yet believable, answer - some kind of mathematical "formula" that would explain how people's tastes work. If someone could give me that answer, I would greatly appreciate it.

-Villain

Aaah well, goodbye Shadow Duet! :cry: You were a tough fighter and took one of the enemies with you. :D OK, The Wonders At Your Feet once again. Good lyrics, but I just dont like it as much as I like the other songs.

And btw.: I hope Nether Novas or The Emptiness from which I Fed will be the winners, these two songs, from those in the list, are simply brilliant. Almost perfect Id say.

As I said in round 27:

Insanity's Crescendo

Well, it is really simple. It is overrated (still a good song though), and all other songs left are better, and I just listened to them again just to make sure.

-Andreas (no strategy voting ever)

@Villain: i think it has to do with the little things one usually notices in songs. for example, i might tend to focus on lyrics, you might tend to focus on guitars, and rahvin might tend to focus on bubu. so out of the three given songs, i'll prefer the song with the better lyrics, you the one with the better guitar solos or melodies or whatever etc.

it also might have to do with specific moments and connections one has made with some songs. ie i love some songs because i have somehow connected them to an important moment in my life (usually through lyrics), and even if everyone says they suck, they might be the best thing for me, and that won't change with time.

or it might simply be that some songs open up their beauty to very few people who somehow get to suddenly see it, and the rest will never get it. this is the only way for me to explain why i like "on your time" so much. this is also why i've never quite seen what's the big deal with "at loss for words". the best way for me to define it, is that they strike some chords in some people.

as for why we tend to agree on some songs like "nether novas" while we disagree on others, my explanation would be very simple: songs like "nether novas" are simply great, and we can all see their beauty (well, not all, but you know what i mean ;)). while on other songs that are more or less on the same lower level of general appreciation, there's those little subtleties that make the difference for each one of us.

hope the emptiness from wich i fed still alive !!as marduk1507 says this song is perfect!! But away delight away diserve to be in this poll a this moment and its not just too bad!!

just my opinion