Darren White: not dead and not dreaming

yogidaz

Apr 20, 2003
Yeah, yeah, I know. There are some people around here who hated the original Anathema vocals so they don't care too much about what I am up to. Some do care, and this forum is a place I visit and sometimes see posts that I can really relate to. I respect the type of music fan who likes Anathema, and I think that you might like the music I do now.
I share a creative vision with a couple of very good friends of mine from Liverpool. I keep in touch with these guys even though I travel around.
When I got back to England in November I went to Liverpool to see my family and to start working with my two new musical friends, JON-FRANCIS-WHITE and GARY HILL. We have managed to write some songs and have recorded four tracks for a first promo CD of the band.
It is very different to other material I have done, except the mood and atmosphere, which is as dark as ever before. Dead Men Dream is on hold for a while, until fresh blood flows into it's veins. I have a new path.
The new path is with a band called SEROTONAL. There is a natural chemical inside us all which makes us feel happy. Sometimes it is low, sometimes it is high. It is passed through the serotonal nerves endings. Seeing as the music is incredibly dark, I like the ironic idea that it might make people happy.
We do want to take it to the next level and we want to share it with poeple who are interested.
Spread the word. This will be my first serious project since The Blood Divine, and I am more positive about the musical possibilities of SEROTONAL than I was about The Blood Divine, so in a way it is my first serious project since recording Pentecost III with Anathema.
To email Jon or Gary, email: serotonal@hotmail.com
They are nice guys who are enthusiastic and full of ideas.

the blood divine was great, dead man dream too, and im sure serotonal will be amazing... keep on rocking Darren

cheers man, looking fwd to the material - whats it gonna be like, like?
any similarities between the former bands/projects, or bands we know of?
is there anything online, or are you gonna keep us in suspense till it hits the shops?

That sound promising Darren! Crestfallen, Serenades and Pentecost III are still high on my playlist and I love your lyrics! Peace to you.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.
To try and answer your questions... Serotonal sounds different to other stuff you would have heard me do before, although it is early days for us yet and we intend to do all kinds of different sounds. I still want to ROCK in the future but I must say that the songs we recorded for this first promo do not sound like rock. It is more dark and moody. It is like... our world torn apart... very open, honest and emotional.
We will make the CD available to anyone who wants to get one. I guess it will be about 5 euros plus a euro for postage to get hold of one for yourselves.
If you email Jon or Gaz at: serotonal@hotmail.com they will tell you how to get the songs. I have a photograph that is as grim as the music and I am doing a cover at the moment to go in with the CD.

thats great darren, good aulde underground trade :D
sounds like everyone is opening up these days, the concept sounds good
if we're talking dark and moody, can we draw similarities with antimatter?

go for it, good luck

@Alwin i tried too man, came basically to the same conclusion, you beat me to it in that thread

well daz (and everyone), i really dont like your vox on the first few anathema albums, but i guess it's time for me to check out some of your new material. when you say "dark and moody," im in it, mate. cheers
i'll get one

Alwin... I have to say you have definitely got into the vibe of "we, the gods". Respect is due to you. I must add that someone else got a very strong part of the idea correct when they said it is about religion (although there are other meanings, used deliberately). Organized religion aims to suffocate the individual beliefs of many, and take away the powers within each individual (or "god", in the song). Historically their has been a kind of "spiritual genocide" (witch burnings, gypsy slaughter et al) and it still goes on. Near the end of the song, "We'll burn your homes", and all that is just revolution/empowerment of the individual/anarchy/ stuff. Remember, it was leading up to what would have been "Rise Pantheon Dreams" - which came about because I believe that on our own, revolution is difficult, but "in unity we shall rise". I feel that it is important to be individual, but to respect the individualism of others too. Come together in respect of our differences. If we were all the same, life would be dull.
It's all just my usual anarchist hippy shit! I just tried to deliberately have double (and triple) meanings by using imagery and symbolism. The universal web of life is mirrored in many ways so why not reflect that in words and music?
Don Corleone... your bored by that, so I'll end there... but hey, wow! You are interested in Serotonal! That means it's turned serious now. I'd better make sure I am on me best vocal behaviour just for you!
I love Istanbul and will go back (inshallah). Atmospheric city, amazing history, great buildings and nice food.