David Bendeth Drums for Steven Slate

Here's a mix with Bendeth samples:

I've used Bendeth kick and ocheltree snare blended in with some deluxe samples and also Bendeth hi-hat and crash.

Last edited by a moderator:
So it turns out the samples were perfectly fine....

Yeah, for blending, pretty much. However, 2 snares and 1 kick are still not worth $100. Toms are weird and hard to work with for me personally, two crash cymbals are the same, but recorded in L and R positions. Hat is ok I guess, but nothing special compared to deluxe ones - I used it to justify my purchase.

Sounds REALLY good! Could you go more into detail on what you did in the mix with the drums?
Thanks, man!
I constructed the kit from scratch. Kick is the blend of kick10 and bendeth hard beater kick, snare is some SSD deluxe snare (I'm at work now, can't check the project) with ocheltree blended. Toms were deluxe, I think DW, I only used two lower ones.
Kick took a LOT of cuts in 100-2000hz, like two instances of ReaEQ with 5 band filters each. Bunch of cuts on snare to get the ring under control.

As far as compression goes both kick and snare have T-Racks British Channel on the insert with compressor set to slow attck. I think "hard comp" was on for both, but not cutting more than 4 db. Kick10 and bendeth snare already have enough smack and don't need excessive compression. CLA-76 bluey on parallel bus, I think 4:1. Same bluey on Room track but all buttons in.
I used CLA-2A on overheads to duck on snare hits, but now I think I overdone it a little bit.
Drum buss had T-Racks buss comp 4:1, attack 30, release 10, 2-3 db GR. And free Maag EQ emulation http://www.kvraudio.com/product/luftikus-by-lkjb for high shelf boost.

By the way, DB kick has a subkick track and DB snare has FX track for that highly praised reverb which was of little use to me anyway.

Yeah, for blending, pretty much. However, 2 snares and 1 kick are still not worth $100. Toms are weird and hard to work with for me personally, two crash cymbals are the same, but recorded in L and R positions. Hat is ok I guess, but nothing special compared to deluxe ones - I used it to justify my purchase.

Thanks, man!
I constructed the kit from scratch. Kick is the blend of kick10 and bendeth hard beater kick, snare is some SSD deluxe snare (I'm at work now, can't check the project) with ocheltree blended. Toms were deluxe, I think DW, I only used two lower ones.
Kick took a LOT of cuts in 100-2000hz, like two instances of ReaEQ with 5 band filters each. Bunch of cuts on snare to get the ring under control.

As far as compression goes both kick and snare have T-Racks British Channel on the insert with compressor set to slow attck. I think "hard comp" was on for both, but not cutting more than 4 db. Kick10 and bendeth snare already have enough smack and don't need excessive compression. CLA-76 bluey on parallel bus, I think 4:1. Same bluey on Room track but all buttons in.
I used CLA-2A on overheads to duck on snare hits, but now I think I overdone it a little bit.
Drum buss had T-Racks buss comp 4:1, attack 30, release 10, 2-3 db GR. And free Maag EQ emulation http://www.kvraudio.com/product/luftikus-by-lkjb for high shelf boost.

By the way, DB kick has a subkick track and DB snare has FX track for that highly praised reverb which was of little use to me anyway.

Sounds like the same experience I had. Weak.

Thanks, man!

I knew this wasn't just the beneth drums...