Sneak Peak: Steven Slate Drums 1.5

Slate

Jan 2, 2007
I hope the sample disc can be considered "equipment".. anyway

Steven Slate Drums 1.5 will have updated drum sounds as well as new Z4 real room ambience samples that can be triggered via aux sends from the Z1 samples creating an adjustable real room sound. Also available will be the 1.5 ELITE MIXER ADDITION which adds over 14 new kicks and snares and another set of toms, all samples were custom made for various top producers and mixers.

Check out this great new audio demo featuring Kick4 and the new Elite Mixer Snare14, the demo has various stages also showing the new Z4 real room ambience samples:

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/snare14z4.mp3

Sounds awesome as always! What drum did you use for the deftones snare? How did you tune it to get that sound? The reason I'm asking is because I'm looking for a good snare for my bands next album and that's the sound we are looking for. The snare we have now is a good one but it's a piccolo snare so it's hard to get a heavy sound, and our drummer refuses to trigger.

No problem. The room is my old Bang Recording room. Think big concrete floored warehouse with tons of diffusion everywhere. I used about 4 room mics. Two were in the very far corners of the room, and then two were a bit closer to the kit, maybe about 10 feet in front.

Mixed it all together and sent it through some pultecs, distressors, and then some slight chorusing and delays to enhance it a bit. Lots of experimenting and mixing in with the close mics to test it out.

Much of the processing was done in real mixes with thick sounds and deep guitars and such. I actually was trying to replicate the sound of a Lexicon chamber, only make it sound a bit more "real". I'm happy with the results.

I think it's a different story when it comes to the mix, Keith. The sampled one definitely cuts more... if you could imagine that trying to get past a wall of guitars, it'd do so much easier than the natural snare.

That's not to say that the natural one isn't without its charms, and I think even it could work, provided the mix was right..