DAW output into a mic input.

Electroviolence

New Metal Member
Mar 2, 2012
Hello.

I'm trying out online jamming with software like Soundjack and eJamming. Basically it's like playing over skype, but with better latency. However instead of recording a guitar amp (which I don't even have), I'd rather have my partner hear the output of my DAW.

How can I achieve that? I tried using third party routers like JACK for Windows, but the receiving end would get a very distorted, low-quality signal.

Anyone done anything like this? Would greatly appreciate if someone could help me out.

At first it sounded redundant. Until I remembered Petersen Goodwyn and his line 2 pre. But in your case, can you not just use your interfaces input as global input?

At first it sounded redundant. Until I remembered Petersen Goodwyn and his line 2 pre. But in your case, can you not just use your interfaces input as global input?

Could you elaborate?

I own an M-Audio Fast Track, but it doesn't really have any routing options. Apart from the external routing method I've tried using Stereo Mix with playback on, but it didn't work very well, maybe I've missed something.

I've done something similar on Ventrilo once. The version I used back then only detected the first input of my interface. I didn't want them to just hear the DI guitar, so I plugged the guitar into the second channel (DI), put some amp sim on it in Reaper, sent that to one of my interface's outputs, and connected that output to the channel one input. It was on a profire 2626 though, which has line inputs on the back that bypass the preamp.

Don't know if that was the best solution, but it worked fine.

I've done something similar on Ventrilo once. The version I used back then only detected the first input of my interface. I didn't want them to just hear the DI guitar, so I plugged the guitar into the second channel (DI), put some amp sim on it in Reaper, sent that to one of my interface's outputs, and connected that output to the channel one input. It was on a profire 2626 though, which has line inputs on the back that bypass the preamp.

Don't know if that was the best solution, but it worked fine.
That's pretty much exactly what I want to do. Unfortunately neither Virtual Audio Cable, nor JACK for Windows acknowledge the 64bit version of Reaper, so I can't do that virtually. Physically I have no clue how can I achieve that with the Fast Track. There are 2 line outputs in the back, I've tried connecting them to the mic input to the laptop using an RCA to 3.5mm adapter, but that didn't work out so well. At best I got a really delayed and distorted signal, even worse than with Virtual routing in Reason.

This is driving me insane

Are you using a DI box?
Nope, all I have is my laptop and a Fast Track interface