Dawn of the Dead remake (attn Jay)

rhavin2112

Lost to Apathy
Feb 26, 2002
Knoxville, TN
www.appropriateapocalypse.com
What are your thoughts here?

DOTD is one of my all time favs, I grew up with Romero's dead trilogy. From the trailers and various script reviews I have read this remake bears no resemblance at all to the original apart from the setting. The trailer looks decent enough but I can't get past the fact that they remade a movie that did not need to be remade while all the while stonewalling Romero's efforts to make the fourth film (Dead Reckoning). I have read reviews of Dead Reckoning and it is just what zombie cinema needs...not quick MTV cuts and a hard rock soundtrack.

I'll probably still see it just out of curiosity when it comes out for rental. I didn't actually think the trailers were all that decent - the undead are running?

Romero will set it right again, even if only the zombie die-hard fans end up seeing it. His films were never about making money anyway. Just pure cult bliss.

Here we go, ready....? WTF is the point of a remake. I mean is it gonna be better than the original, I highly doubt it.

Lets face it, remakes suck - big time. The whole thing about the Zombie films is that they came from an era when the dark side of the human persona was brought under the film's microscope. There were a plethora of films around the same topic which added to the depth of that genre (and hybrids at the time).

The problem here, is that you have taken a classic film from that era and POLISHED it for an audience of today's generation. It will fall on its ass.

I will give this wide Nelly Berth.

This just in: USA Network will be showing the first 10 minutes of Dawn of the Dead UNCUT and UNCENSORED next Monday night.

I saw the trailer for the re-release. I have to say, it doesn't 'look' any better than the original US DVD release, and it's still cut....? So it's just a cash-in on the remake release? That's not like Anchor Bay to pull a stunt like that, but who knows.

JayKeeley said:
I saw the trailer for the re-release. I have to say, it doesn't 'look' any better than the original US DVD release, and it's still cut....? So it's just a cash-in on the remake release? That's not like Anchor Bay to pull a stunt like that, but who knows.
Anchor Bay is releasing a double disc boxed set edition of Dawn complete with the US cut and the Eurapean cut of the films with all new commentaries in Sept. That makes me wonder why bother at all with this single disc release...

It appears your suspicions are correct Mr. Keeley.

I just read in Rue Morgue that the DotD release in September will be a 3-Disc set by the way. The current new release has an upgraded print, 5.1DTS surround sound, and a commentary track with both Romero and Savini.

Tom Savini plays a cameo role in the remake by the way - this time as a County Sherriff, har har.

OK the remake comes out this Friday. Has anyone got plans to go see it at the theater this weekend? I have to admit, as the release date draws nearer, I am a little tempted to see a new proper Zombie flick...I can't fight my primal instincts...heheh. :saint:

I saw the DVD re-release of Day of the Dead the other night, and for the first time watched the bonus added footage of Tom Savini's effects and makeup - including the scene where Rhodes gets pulled in half. Choke on 'em!!!! :kickass:

JayKeeley said:
OK the remake comes out this Friday. Has anyone got plans to go see it at the theater this weekend? I have to admit, as the release date draws nearer, I am a little tempted to see a new proper Zombie flick...I can't fight my primal instincts...heheh. :saint:

I saw the DVD re-release of Day of the Dead the other night, and for the first time watched the bonus added footage of Tom Savini's effects and makeup - including the scene where Rhodes gets pulled in half. Choke on 'em!!!! :kickass:
I am planning on seeing it Friday night. Can't help myself, it is a zombie film after all:worship:

A french movie site has put up ten 3-5 min clips from the movie here:
http://www.cinemovies.fr/fiche_extrait.php?IDfilm=3070

It takes the page a few minutes to load.

Not bad from what i saw..the first clip is a mall rooftop scene where Ving Rhames states Stephen's line int he movie when asked by Fran why the zombies come to the mall...

"Instinct, something they used to do"

I want to see this, but really think I should see the original trilogy first...what order do they go in again? :oops:

Ayeka said:
I want to see this, but really think I should see the original trilogy first...what order do they go in again? :oops:
Romero's original dead trilogy:

Night of the Living Dead (this will be a black and white movie. There was a remake done in the eraly ninties. The original needs to be seen first)

Dawn Of the Dead

Day of the Dead

rhavin2112 said:
Night of the Living Dead (this will be a black and white movie. There was a remake done in the eraly ninties. The original needs to be seen first)
Don't forget the shitty colourised version :erk: Ayeka, you're in Wales no? I managed to get a copy of the B&W dvd for £3, I don't think you should have too much trouble finding another for a similar price...

Okay cool, since Ayeka broke the ice, I can say I've never seen any of the original movies either. BN.com sells a DVD copy for $6, should I just pick that up, or is one of the fancy editions worth it?

NAD said:
Okay cool, since Ayeka broke the ice, I can say I've never seen any of the original movies either. BN.com sells a DVD copy for $6, should I just pick that up, or is one of the fancy editions worth it?
:OMG: :erk: :OMG: :erk: :OMG: :erk: :OMG: :erk: :OMG: :erk: :OMG: :erk: :erk: :erk: ...............beeeeeeep....*flatlines*

*feels very cold and lonely*

Time to buy some DVDs it seems.

I've heard Amorphis, I just don't own any. And Nevermore I'll let someone burn me a copy first, they don't really sound like my thing. :p